This trail is part of the branch line from Warragul that opened in 1919. It was gradually closed in sections between 1954 and 1958. This area suffers from bushfires and required a lot of expensive repairs on many occasions. The Noojee Trestle was destroyed by fire in 1939, and rebuilt again in the same year. It is an impressive structure spanning 102 metres, is 21 metres high, and is supported by 19 sets of piles.
The Noojee and District Historical Society’s plans to restore the original railway site in Noojee including the station and surrounding tracks, goods shed, turn table and new additions of an underground museum and cultural centre.
The official opening of the ‘Noojee Heritage Project Centre’ occured in December 2011 comprising of the Society’s five-stage plan to reconstruct the site. The Noojee Heritage Project Centre will begin with stage one, which will see the construction of the goods shed and surrounding decking, a car park and appropriate signage in the township.
The trail is maintained by the Baw Baw Shire Council Ph: 03 5624 2411
To advertise your rail trail support business on this page, please click here.