The line from Traralgon to Stratford via Maffra was built in 1883, and served as an alternative route to East Gippsland. It was very busy until the 1950's carrying sugar beet from Maffra, and timber from Heyfield. In its later years, the main purpose of the line was servicing the dairy industry in the Maffra area. The line closed in stages, the first stage being Traralgon to Cowwarr in 1986, and then Cowwarr to Maffra in 1994. The rails were pulled up shortly after.
The first section of the rail trail opened in 2005.
VLine run passenger train services from Melbourne to Bairnsdale via Traralgon, Sale and Stratford.
To report any issues on the rail trail or for further information contact
Gippsland Plains Rail Trail Committee of Management - 7 Park Av, Cowwarr. Ph: 03 5148 9214