Trail Finder

Fill in one or more of the fields below to find matching rail trails.

km km

map-smallmap_small_wamap_small_nswmap_small_ntmap_small_qldmap_small_vicmap_small_samap_small_tasimage_map_blank

For trail descriptions,
maps and photos pick a state
from the above map or use the

Become a financial member of Rail Trails Australia and help develop and support Australia's Rail Trails. Click below to Join or Renew.

Individual    Organisation

You can also make a

Donation

Rail trails are shared-use paths recycled from abandoned railway corridors. Usually managed by local councils for the enjoyment of the general public, rail trails can be used for a range of purposes including walking, cycling and horse riding.

find-out-more-button

Rail Trails for New South Wales

Lilydale to Warburton Rail Tail

Bass Coast Rail Trail

Collie-Darkan Rail Trail

Crater to Coast Rail Trail

This page lists updates to the Rail Trails of Tasmania If you have information to contribute, please send us e-mail at the address below.

Last updated: July 2006.

Updates

Lake Margaret Tramway Trail

Page 32
At the time the book was published, the access road to the power station had been closed due to a landslip. The road is now open again. However, on 30 June 2006 the power station was closed. The future of the power station and tramway is uncertain. Since this trail is on Hydro Tasmania property, use of the trail is at their discretion. Access to the tramway may not be possible at this time.

Ida Bay Railway and Mystery Creek Cave Trail

Page 36
The railway was closed during 2005, but has reopened in 2006 under new management.

Contributions

We welcome contributions to this page. Please mail This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

This page lists updates to the Railtrails of Victoria. If you have information to contribute, please send us e-mail at the address below. This page relates to the reprint of the book printed in March 2000 (refer to page ii of the book).

Last updated: January 2005. This will be the last update to this page. See the second edition of the guide for further updates.

 

Rail Trails of Victoria and South Australia: New Edition

Rail Trails of Victoria and South Australia: New Edition

 

A new edition of our rail trail guide book is now available. Fully revised and updated, it includes over 300 km of new and extened trails. The new edition also includes three South Australian Trails. 144 pages in full colour. More Information...

Updates

Miscellaneous

Terminology
The book refers to "coral-type fencing". This is an American term that slipped through. It should more correctly be called "post and rail" fencing. This style of fencing was widely used by the railways.
The Port Welshpool Tramway
As is mentioned in the book, the Victorian Railways, in an attempt to reduce construction costs for branch lines, built four narrow gauge, 2' 6" railways in the state, opened between 1899 and 1911. One of these was the famous Puffing Billy Railway in the Dandenongs. Two others are railtrails described in the book - the "Old Beechy" Railtrail and the Walhalla Goldfields Rail Trail. A couple of readers have pointed out that we fail to mention that there was a fifth 2' 6" government railway between Welshpool and Port Welshpool. We don't mention it because it was quite different to the others. This short railway was built to connect the railway at Welshpool with the port. It was operated by horses which hauled small four wheeled wooden trolleys and ran from 1905 to 1940.

Inner Circle and Fitzroy Trails

Page 11
Although goods trains stopped running to Whittlesea in 1959, they continued to run to Fitzroy until 1981.

Outer Circle Railtrail

Page 9
It is interesting to note that the embankment on the left of the photograph on page 8 was once the platform of Roystead station. Access to the platform was via a ramp leading up to Mont Albert Road. Also the station building at Hartwell station (on the current Alamein line) was originally located at Walhalla (see the Walhalla Goldfields Rail
Page 15
Signs have been errected at regular intervals along the trail with historical photos and information about the Outer Circle Railway.

Rosstown Railtrail

Page 21
The map shows only two of the four former stations on the line (at Hawthorn Road and Booran Road). The other two were at Koornang Road near Ross's Sugar Beet factory and near Kooyong Road).

Bellarine Peninsula Rail Trail

Page 27
The trail is now open from Drysdale to Queenscliff. This section runs parallel to the Bellarine Tourist Railway and adds a further 16 km to the trail.
Monday to Saturday, Geelong trains continue through to South Geelong which may be a more convenient start point for those wishing to reach the trail by public transport.

The Warburton Trail

Page 30
The trail is now open between Lilydale Station and Anderson Street. This section has a grass surface and is suitable for mountain bikes and walkers.
Page 54
A number of the signs marking the trail at the start points and road crossings have been stolen or vandalised. In May 2000 the signboard marking the trail at Erica was not there making the start of the trail a little hard to find.
Interpretive signs have been placed at a number of points along the line including Platina and the site of a 1915 rail accident. A replica station has been built at Platina and picnic tables installed at several points along the trail.
The railway is now open to Walhalla. Trains operate every Saturday and Sunday and some extra days during peak periods. The hotel at Coopers Creek, south of Platina has recently been rebuilt.

Moe to Yallourn Rail Trail

Page 59
The line closed in 1986.

Kilcunda to Wonthaggi Railtrail

Page 66
The entire trail has now been graded, but as at February 2001, the surface is fairly rough with patches of ballast remaining. The first 3 km from Wonthaggi have been fully surfaced and is currently the only section suitable for road bikes. Fences formerly across the trail have now been removed and replaced by gates.
Page 67
The Kilcunda Trestle Bridge is now open for trail users and offers spectacular views. Work has commenced on a deviation around another tresle bridge on the Anderson side of Kilcunda.
Page 68
The height of Kilcunda should read 12 m this was due to a misprint in the Victorian Railways Gradient Profile book upon which the diagram was based.

Great Southern Rail Trail Updated

Page 72
The trail is now fully open and surfaced Leongatha to Koonwarra (8km) and Meeniyan to Foster (31km). The section between Koonwarra and Meeniyan is expected to be completed during 2006 after a planned highway reallignment in the area.

The Noojee Trestle Bridge Railtrail

Page 74
While the line finally closed in 1958, the section from Noojee to Nayook closed four years earlier in 1954.

East Gippsland Rail Trail Updated

Page 75
The trail has between Bairnsdale and Nicholson now has a bituminous surface. The trail from Nicholson to Bruthen has been regraded.
Page 80
The trail is now open through to Nowa Nowa. The section through to Orbost is expected to open in 2006.

Murray to the Mountains Rail Trail Updated

Page 87
The trail is now complete from Wangaratta to Bright and Beechworth giving a total distance of 97km. The trail has a sealed surface for its entire length. See our trail description for more information.

Mt Samaria Tramway

Page 91
The trail begins near the mill site. Follow the orange marker arrows. There is a small bridge over the creek near the mill. This leads to Lightning Track. It is possible to do a circuit returning via Butchers Track and Lightning Track.

Bonnie Doon Rail Trail

Page 93
Development of this trail has not progressed as far as expected. On the Melbourne side of the bridge, the former Bonnie Doon Station is fenced off as part of a Caravan Park and is not currently accessible. The trail to the bridge is currently accessible from Wilson Road.

Bunny Rail Trail

Page 97
We have had a report that parts of this trail are now fenced off and inaccessible.

Ballarat Skipton Rail Trail Updated

Page 98
Nimons Bridge is now open.

Grampians Railtrail

Page 109
Although it is commonly stated that this line opened in the 1900s, there is evidence that stone was conveyed from the quarry by train as early as 1882 and that the stone was used for extensions to Parliament House completed in 1886. The line closed in 1949.

New Trails

See the Victorian Trail Descriptionssection of the web site for new trails that have been developed since the publication of this book.

 

This page lists updates to the Rail Trails of Victoria and South Australia (Second Edition). If you have information to contribute, please send us e-mail at the address below. This page relates to the first printing of the book in November 2001 and the revised print run in October 2003 (refer to page ii of the book).

Last updated: June 2011.

Updates

Belgrave Railway Trail

Page 12
As at July 2005: the section of the trail between Upwey and Upper Ferntree Gully is currently closed. The reason appears to be several small land slips that occured in February. Detour via the south side of the railway or use Burwood Highway.

The Warburton Trail

Page 21
The map shows Dee Road following the Dee River to meet the Mt Donna Buang Road. This is incorrect - Dee Road is a dead end and the roads do not connect.

Great Southern Rail Trail

Page 32
The trail is now fully open and surfaced Leongatha to Koonwarra and Meeniyan to Foster. The section between Koonwarra and Meeniyan is now open. The South Gipplsland Rail Trail Committee of Management reference on Page 35 is no longer valid.

Moe - Yallourn Rail Trail

Page 32
A 'proper' end to the rail trail at Yallourn Power Station has been developed.

Walhalla Goldfields Rail Trail

Page 46
The railway is now open to Walhalla. Trains operate every Saturday and Sunday and some extra days during peak periods. The hotel at Coopers Creek, south of Platina has recently been rebuilt.

Tyers Junction Rail Trail

Page 46
The trail is managed by the Department of Sustainability and Environment at Erica. Over the summer of 2004/2005 they have been working on the trail, including opening up the 3km uncleared section between Telbit Crossing and Tyers Junction, and erecting signage. It should be noted that motorbikes are allowed at slow speed between Collins Siding and Telbit Crossing.

East Gippsland Rail Trail

Page 56
The final section between Nowa Nowa and Orbost is now open. See the the trail description. The Mississippi Creek Trail to Lakes Enterance has been completed. It is now called the Gippsland Lakes Discoverly Trail.

Murray to the Mountains Rail Trail

Page 87
The trail is now complete and open from Wangaratta to Bright and Beechworth.

High Country Rail Trail (Wodonga - Cudgewa Rail Trail

Page 74
See our description of the High Country Rail Trail.

Old Beechy Rail Trail

Page 84
The trail is now continuous between Colac and Beech Forest (with some on-road sections). For details including an updated map see out description of the Old Beechy Rail Trail.

Camperdown - Timboon Rail Trail

Page 90
The trail is still being developed as at early 2005.

Ballarat - Skipton Rail Trail

Page 97
Nimons Bridge is open for trail users.

Willunga Rail Trail

Page 108
The trail has been extended north from Hallett Cove to Marino beside the operating Noarlunga railway.

Contributions

We welcome contributions to this page. Please mail This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

This page lists updates to the Railtrails of Victoria. If you have information to contribute, please send us e-mail at the address below. This page relates to the first edition of the book printed in July 1999 (refer to page ii of the book).

Last updated: January 2005. This will be the last update to this page. See the second edition of the guide for further updates.

 

Rail Trails of Victoria and South Australia: New Edition

Rail Trails of Victoria and South Australia: New Edition

 

A new edition of our rail trail guide book is now available. Fully revised and updated, it includes over 300 km of new and extened trails. The new edition also includes three South Australian Trails. 144 pages in full colour. More Information...

Updates

Miscellaneous

Terminology
The book refers to "coral-type fencing". This is an American term that slipped through. It should more correctly be called "post and rail" fencing. This style of fencing was widely used by the railways.
Acknowledgements
Thank you to Phil Rickard for providing the description for the Mount Samaria Tramway. His name was omitted from the acknowledgements page.
The Port Welshpool Tramway
As is mentioned in the book, the Victorian Railways, in an attempt to reduce construction costs for branch lines, built four narrow gauge, 2' 6" railways in the state, opened between 1899 and 1911. One of these was the famous Puffing Billy Railway in the Dandenongs. Two others are rail trails described in the book - the "Old Beechy" Railtrail and the Walhalla Goldfields Rail Trail. A couple of readers have pointed out that we fail to mention that there was a fifth 2' 6" government railway between Welshpool and Port Welshpool. We don't mention it because it was quite different to the others. This short railway was built to connect the railway at Welshpool with the port. It was operated by horses which hauled small four wheeled wooden trolleys and ran from 1905 to 1940.

Inner Circle and Fitzroy Trails

Page 11
Although goods trains stopped running to Whittlesea in 1959, they continued to run to Fitzroy until 1981.

Outer Circle Railtrail

Page 9
It is interesting to note that the embankment on the left of the photograph on page 8 was once the platform of Roystead station. Access to the platform was via a ramp leading up to Mont Albert Road. Also the station building at Hartwell station (on the current Alamein line) was originally located at Walhalla (see the Walhalla Goldfields Rail
Page 14
"North Balwyn Bus" should read "North Balwyn Tram".
Page 15
Signs have been errected at regular intervals along the trail with historical photos and information about the Outer Circle Railway.

Rosstown Railtrail

Page 21
The map shows only two of the four former stations on the line (at Hawthorn Road and Booran Road). The other two were at Koornang Road near Ross's Sugar Beet factory and near Kooyong Road).

Bellarine Peninsula Rail Trail

Page 27
The trail is now open from Drysdale to Queenscliff. This section runs parallel to the Bellarine Tourist Railway and adds a further 16 km to the trail.
Monday to Saturday, Geelong trains continue through to South Geelong which may be a more convenient start point for those wishing to reach the trail by public transport.

The Warburton Trail

Page 30
The mountain in the background is Mount Little Joe not Mount Riddel as stated.
The trail is now open between Lilydale Station and Anderson Street. This section has a grass surface and is suitable for mountain bikes and walkers.
Page 54
A number of the signs marking the trail at the start points and road crossings have been stolen or vandalised. In May 2000 the signboard marking the trail at Erica was not there making the start of the trail a little hard to find.
Interpretive signs have been placed at a number of points along the line including Platina and the site of a 1915 rail accident. A replica station has been built at Platina and picnic tables installed at several points along the trail.
The railway is now open to Walhalla. Trains operate every Saturday and Sunday and some extra days during peak periods. The hotel at Coopers Creek, south of Platina has recently been rebuilt.

Moe to Yallourn Rail Trail

Page 59
The line closed in 1986.

Kilcunda to Wonthaggi Railtrail

Page 66
The entire trail has now been graded, but as at February 2001, the surface is fairly rough with patches of ballast remaining. The first 3 km from Wonthaggi have been fully surfaced and is currently the only section suitable for road bikes. Fences formerly across the trail have now been removed and replaced by gates.
Page 67
The Kilcunda Trestle Bridge is now open for trail users and offers spectacular views. Work has commenced on a deviation around another tresle bridge on the Anderson side of Kilcunda.
Page 68
The height of Kilcunda should read 12 m this was due to a misprint in the Victorian Railways Gradient Profile book upon which the diagram was based.

Great Southern Rail Trail Updated

Page 72
The trail is now fully open and surfaced Leongatha to Koonwarra (8km) and Meeniyan to Foster (31km). The section between Koonwarra and Meeniyan is expected to be completed during 2006 after a planned highway reallignment in the area.

The Noojee Trestle Bridge Railtrail

Page 74
While the line finally closed in 1958, the section from Noojee to Nayook closed four years earlier in 1954.

East Gippsland Rail Trail Updated

Page 75
The trail has between Bairnsdale and Nicholson now has a bituminous surface. The trail from Nicholson to Bruthen has been regraded.
Page 80
The trail is now open through to Nowa Nowa. The section through to Orbost is expected to open in 2006.

Murray to the Mountains Rail Trail Updated

Page 87
The trail is now complete from Wangaratta to Bright and Beechworth giving a total distance of 97km. The trail has a sealed surface for its entire length. See our trail description for more information.

Mt Samaria Tramway

Page 91
Toilets are available at the mill site. The trail begins near the mill site. Follow the orange marker arrows. There is a small bridge over the creek near the mill. This leads to Lightning Track. It is possible to do a circuit returning via Butchers Track and Lightning Track.

Bonnie Doon Rail Trail

Page 93
Development of this trail has not progressed as far as expected. On the Melbourne side of the bridge, the former Bonnie Doon Station is fenced off as part of a Caravan Park and is not currently accessible. The trail to the bridge is currently accessible from Wilson Road.

Bunny Rail Trail

Page 97
We have had a report that parts of this trail are now fenced off and inaccessible.

Ballarat Skipton Rail Trail Updated

Page 98
Nimons Bridge is now open.

Grampians Railtrail

Page 109
Although it is commonly stated that this line opened in the 1900s, there is evidence that stone was conveyed from the quarry by train as early as 1882 and that the stone was used for extensions to Parliament House completed in 1886. The line closed in 1949.

New Trails

See the Victorian Trail Descriptionssection of the web site for new trails that have been developed since the publication of this book.