Clare Valley Riesling Trail Northern Extension Open (SA)
Posted on 02/11/09
The long held dream of having the Riesling Trail extend the full length of the internationally recognised Clare Valley Wine Region GI has been realised. The Clare to Barinia northern extension was completed during early Spring 2009.
The 9 kilometre extension has cost well in excess of $200,000. Cost of construction was partially funded by grants from:
- South Australian Tourism Commission
- Dept for Trade and Economic Development
- Northern and Yorke Natural Resource Management Board
- Clare Valley Winemakers Inc
- local service clubs, and assistance from local contractors.
The Office for Recreation and Sport and the Dept of Environment and Heritage have both provided encouragement for the Trail extension construction.
The extension now provides a walking and cycling Trail following the former railway line for 34 kms from Auburn in the South to Barinia in the North, traversing rolling hillsides, vineyards and farmland, with Loop Trails to wineries and other Clare Valley places of interest.
The Barinia extension passes through the northern vineyards of the Clare Valley and then into agricultural land – a major source of produce in the early days of South Australia’s settlement, as well as currently. New Loop Trails are also planned for that part of the Trail.
Recognition of the trail locally, nationally and internationally continues.
- Locally The Northern Argus has continued to provide valuable coverage.
- The support of the SA Tourism Commission through Clare Valley Tourism Marketing in promoting the Trail has been invaluable.
- As well, the Trail features heavily in a new booklet of cycling trails in South Australia produced by The Advertiser in conjunction with Bicycle SA.
- We at Railtrails Australia thank the Riesling Trail Management Committee for their recognition of our work in promoting the trail.
Approaches have been made to the Office for Recreation & Sport, Bicycle SA and Council seeking their agreement to a rerouting of the Mawson Trail away from White Hut Road and onto the extension.
Adoption of an upgraded cycle plan for the township of Clare and the integration of the trail as a major component of this development are being pursued.
The Riesling Trail, maintained by volunteers, caters for all ages and levels of fitness. It is both pusher and wheelchair friendly. Many charity rides/walks, as well as recreational users, utilise the Trail – the benefits to users and the local community are many.
See the trail description for more information about the Riesling Trail.