Map Legend:

  • Rail Trail
  • On Road
  • Possible Rail Trail
  • Other Trail
  • former Railway
  • A short trail that runs along the eastern edge of the Margaret River townsite, suitable for hiking and cycling
  • Interesting birdlife and wildflowers
  • Links to other trails including the Ten Mile Brook Trail

Attractions

  • The new Margaret River footbridge
  • Views over countryside

Trail Guide

Also known as the Wannang Biddi, the Darch Road Trail begins at the Ten Mile Brook Trail (Bunitj Biddi) just west of Margaret River Perimeter Rd. Heading south, the trail crosses the river via newly build footbridge then joins the alignment of a historic timber tramway formation before finishing at Andrews Way (formerly known as Rosa Brook Rd)

Background Information

Traditional owners

Rail Trails Australia acknowledges the Wadandi people of the Noongar Nation, the traditional custodians of the land and waterways on which this rail trail is built.

Development and future of the rail trail 

The Shire of Augusta Margaret River plans to build a connecting path linking the southern end of the Darch Trail to the Wadandi Track, enabling trail users to circumnavigate the Margaret River townsite via three rail trails – the Wadandi Track, the Ten Mile Brook Trail and the Darch Trail.

Rail line history

The Darch Trail follows one of the many old timber tramways in the Margaret River area.

No services listed for this rail trail.

Advertise your Business Here

Click here for information on advertising your rail trail support business.

Map Legend:

  • Rail Trail
  • On Road
  • Possible Rail Trail
  • Other Trail
  • former Railway
The Manjimup to Deanmill Heritage Trail is a short rail trail near Manjimup in WA’s Southwest. The trail gives visitors an insight into the district’s forestry, farming and railway history. Manjimup is known for its undulating land, tall timbers, abundant fresh water and rich soils.

Attractions

  • Tall forest, scenic open farmland
  • The small timber town of Deanmill, which includes a number of historic mill cottages, the Deanmill Workers Club and the Deanmill Football Oval
  • Other attractions in around Manjimup including Fontys Pool, Diamond Tree Lookout and One Tree Bridge

Trail Guide

The Manjimup to Deanmill Heritage Trail is on the alignment of a historic timber tramway that connected the Deanmill sawmill to the main line at Manjimup. Starting in Manjimup near the intersection of Rose St and Lock St, the trail heads west parallel to Ipsen St.

The trail passes through enclosed natural bushland before transitioning to open areas with views over farmland. The first kilometre is asphalt and the remainder is compacted gravel.

At its eastern end, this trail provides a connection to the Manjimup Linear Path. Forming a ‘T’, the two rail trails intersect in the centre of Manjimup just south of Ipsen Street. The Manjimup to Deanmill Heritage Trail also forms part of the 1000 km Munda Biddi MTB trail linking Perth to Albany.

Background Information

Traditional owners

Rail Trails Australia acknowledge the Murrum people of the Noongar Nation, the traditional custodians of the land and waterways on which this rail trail is built.

Development and future of the rail trail 

The Manjimup to Deanmill Heritage Trail was established in the 1990s and upgraded in 2017.

Rail line history 

The Deanmill tramway was built in 1912 to connect the sawmill (which supplied timber sleepers for the Transcontinental Railway) to the main line in Manjimup. The Deanmill settlement was named after the mill’s first manager, Alfred Dean. Following the closure of the tramway in 1966, the reserve has regrown and forms an important green corridor on the western side of Manjimup.

No services listed for this rail trail.

Advertise your Business Here

Click here for information on advertising your rail trail support business.

Map Legend:

  • Rail Trail
  • On Road
  • Possible Rail Trail
  • Other Trail
  • former Railway
The Manjimup Linear Path is a short, high-quality rail trail located in the south west town of Manjimup. Manjimup is known for its undulating land, tall timbers, abundant fresh water and rich soils.

Attractions

  • Manjin Park, which includes a barbecue area and skate park
  • Manjimup Heritage Park, which includes Manjimup Historic Hamlet, State Timber Museum, PowerUp! Electricity Museum and a children’s playground with a 17 m tall slide
  • Other attractions in and around Manjimup including Fontys Pool, Diamond Tree Lookout and One Tree Bridge

Trail Guide

This trail runs from Manjimup Heritage Park near Graphite Road to the southern edge of town at Seven Day Road. The linear path is built on a disused section of the Northcliffe Branch Railway (also known as the Picton to Northcliffe line). The path is paved and suitable for people of all ages and abilities.

The linear path also provides a connection to the nearby Manjimup to Deanmill Heritage Trail. Forming a ‘T’, the two rail trails intersect in the centre of Manjimup just south Ipsen Street.

Background Information

Traditional owners

Rail Trails Australia acknowledge the Murrum people of the Noongar Nation, the traditional custodians of the land and waterways on which this rail trail is built.

Development and future of the rail trail 

Manjimup Linear Path officially opened in 2018 as part of the Manjimup Town Centre Revitalisation project. The Shire of Manjimup 2017-2027 Local Bicycle and Footpath Plan mentions the possibility of extending the trail south to Pemberton or north to Bridgetown.

Rail line history 

Construction of the Picton to Northcliffe railway began in 1887, with the line reaching Manjimup in 1911 and Northcliffe in 1933. The area around Manjimup developed quickly following the establishment of the Group Settlement Scheme in the 1920s. The line ceased operation in the early 2000s. In recent years there have been calls to reopen the line between Picton and Greenbushes to transport lithium ore from the Talison Lithium mine to processing facilities near Bunbury.

No services listed for this rail trail.

Advertise your Business Here

Click here for information on advertising your rail trail support business.

Map Legend:

  • Rail Trail
  • On Road
  • Possible Rail Trail
  • Other Trail
  • former Railway
  • The trail is a pleasant path along the old rail reserve. It has easy grades and is ideal for children and novice riders. 
  • Centenary Gardens features an old rail weighbridge complete with gangers’ trolley, railway signal, BBQ and picnic facilities, playground and toilets.

Attractions

  •   Old station building
  •   Silo art
  •   Rural town scenery
  •   Lavender Federation Walking Trail access
  •   Murray to Clare Lavender Cycling Trail (M2C) access

Trail Guide

The Eudunda Rail Trail features a smooth fine gravel surface of good width. It is South Australia’s shortest rail trail but is a handy off-road link for cyclists, walkers and runners. Two of SA’s long distance trails, the Lavender Federation Walking Trail and the M2C Lavender Cycling Trail, pass along this trail. 

There are coffee shops, bakery and supermarket in the nearby main street, and toilets and picnic facilities at Centenary Gardens.

Section Guides

Worlds End Hwy to Thiele Hwy (0.6km)

The trail starts opposite the Centenary Gardens on Worlds End Hwy and runs through the station yard alongside the old platform. The stone station building is intact but in poor condition. East of the station the trail passes between a large iron elevated tank and a water standpipe. Grain silos opposite the station have been decorated with ‘silo-art’.

Head east across South Tce and continue behind houses until the trail leaves the railway embankment and terminates at a pedestrian crossing on Thiele Hwy.

 

Side Trails

Centenary Gardens

Opposite the trail start point on Worlds End Hwy, a paved footpath leads into Centenary Gardens past a rail weighbridge with a gangers’ trolley on display. Adjacent is a children’s playground and free BBQ facilities with public toilets beyond that. A bronze statue pays tribute to author Colin Thiele who grew up in this area.

 

Lavender Federation Walking Trail

The Lavender Trail extends south to Murray Bridge and northwest to Clare and is well signposted.

 

M2C Lavender Cycling Trail

The M2C Lavender Cycling Trail extends south to Murray Bridge and northwest to Clare using mostly unsealed roads and tracks. It is not signposted but maps and directions can be downloaded.

Background Information

Traditional Owners

We acknowledge the Ngadjuri people, the traditional custodians of the land and waterways on which the rail trail is built.

Development and Future of the Rail Trail 

The trail takes advantage of the old railway reserve to provide an off-road link between the centre of town and the showgrounds/oval area to the east.

There have been proposals to extend the rail trail north to Hampden but there are currently no extensions planned.

Rail Line History 

The first section of the line from Gawler to Kapunda was opened in 1860. It was extended via Eudunda to Morgan in 1878 to provide a more efficient freight and passenger connection between the Murray paddle steamers and both the city of Adelaide and Port Adelaide for ocean transport. 

The Eudunda to Morgan section closed in 1969 and the line removed not long after. The Kapunda to Eudunda section was closed in 1994 and was pulled up the following year.

No services listed for this rail trail.

Advertise your Business Here

Click here for information on advertising your rail trail support business.

Map Legend:

  • Rail Trail
  • On Road
  • Possible Rail Trail
  • Other Trail
  • former Railway
  • Pleasant path along a linear park on the old rail reserve It has easy grades, ideal for children and novice riders
  • Davidson Reserve features a large duck pond, picnic facilities and toilets
  • Historic copper mines nearby

Attractions

  •   Mining history
  •   Rural scenery
  •   Access to Mawson, Heysen and Kidman Trails

Trail Guide

The Kapunda Rail Trail features a smooth hot-mix surface of good width. It is SA’s  second shortest rail trail but is well used by cyclists, walkers and runners, especially before and after school. All three of SA’s major long distance trails, Mawson (cycling), Heysen (hiking) and Kidman (horse riding/multi-use) pass along or cross this trail. 

There are coffee shops, bakery and restaurants in the nearby main street, and toilets and picnic facilities at Davidson Reserve.

Section Guides

Coghill Street to High Street (0.8 km)

The trail starts on the western side of the Davidson Reserve duck pond  on Coghill Street. Some rail remnants are visible adjacent to the path, and the level crossing on Coghill St is intact. An old pumphouse building alongside the trail was used to pump water from the dam for use by steam trains. 

Head north along the linear park, taking care at the two road crossings.

A short diversion to Hill St reveals the Lions Playground Park, complete with an old Rx Class steam locomotive. Adjacent Kapunda swimming pool is nearby in Beck St.

 

Side Trails

Old Station

To the south of the duck pond, an unsealed road leads to the old station, which is quite grand by country standards and has been kept in good condition and used as a B&B in recent years. Much of the rail and yard infrastructure is still in place.

 

Rattler and Riesling Rail Trails

The southern end of the Rattler and Riesling Rail Trails can be reached at Riverton, about 30 km northwest of Kapunda, by road or via the Mawson Trail.

 

Barossa Rail Trail

The Barossa Rail Trail can be reached at Nuriootpa, 22 km southeast of Kapunda, by road or via the Mawson Trail.

Background Information

Traditional Owners

We acknowledge the Kaurna people, the traditional custodians of the land and waterways on which the rail trail is built.

Development and Future of the Rail Trail 

While informal trails have existed within the railway reserve for decades, it is only since the line closure and removal of the tracks that attractive linear path and sealed rail trail has been established.

The Swann Path Kapunda Rail Trail opened in 2015. There are plans to extend the trail south 1.5 km to Bethel Rd and it is hoped the Kapunda Trail will eventually form part of a future Wine Capital Trail which will run from the Clare Valley to McLaren Vale via the Barossa Valley and Adelaide Hills wine regions.

Rail Line History 

Kapunda became the first mining town in South Australia soon after copper was discovered in 1842. Mining began in 1844 and continued until 1879, when world copper prices fell. Although copper was mined for only a brief period, revenue from its sales saved South Australia from bankruptcy.

When the railway opened in 1860, Kapunda became the rural centre for the Mid-North of the State. The first section of the line from Gawler to Kapunda was built to serve the mines and opened in August 1860. It was extended to Morgan in 1878 to provide a more efficient freight and passenger connection between the Murray paddle steamers and both the city of Adelaide and Port Adelaide for ocean transport. 

The Eudunda to Morgan section closed in 1969, and the line was removed not long after. The Kapunda to Eudunda section was closed in 1994, with the deterioration of the River Light bridge at Hansborough cited as a reason for closure. This section was pulled up the following year. The remaining Gawler to Kapunda section was leased by the SA Government to Australian Southern Railroad in 1997 as part of AN’s SA freight asset sale to Genesee and Wyoming. While it theoretically remains open, it has not been used for many years. 

No services listed for this rail trail.

Advertise your Business Here

Click here for information on advertising your rail trail support business.

Map Legend:

  • Rail Trail
  • On Road
  • Possible Rail Trail
  • Other Trail
  • former Railway
  • Scenic ride or walk along the old rail reserve between Renmark and Paringa, avoiding the busy Sturt Highway
  • Easy grades, ideal for children and novice riders 
  • Access points for many MTB trails, water sports and other highlights
  • Watch the lifting span of the historic Paringa Bridge in operation to allow large vessels to pass
  • Side trips to Lock 5 or Murtho or follow the scenic Renmark riverfront path

Attractions

  •   Wine and fruit-growing area
  •   River towns
  •   Historic Paringa Bridge
  •   MTB trail access
  •   Water sports
  •   Irrigation history
  •   Historic paddle steamer

Trail Guide

The Renmark-Paringa Rail Trail features a smooth hot-mix surface of adequate width. It is a popular trail, particularly at holiday times, as it provides safe access to two main caravan parks and both towns. 

The Paringa Bridge lifting span operates daily at 9:30 am and 2:30 pm and is best viewed from Bert Dix Memorial Park. Make sure you are positioned on the side you want to be before the span lifts; it can be a long wait.

  • Coffee shops, bakeries and restaurants in Renmark and Paringa
  • Toilets and picnic facilities at Bert Dix Memorial Park

Section Guides

Nineteenth St to Patey Drive (2.0 km)

The trail starts off Nineteenth St opposite the Renmark Plaza shopping centre. Parking is available on-street or in the shopping centre car park. There is a BMX track, playground, picnic facilities and toilets close to the trail start.

 

The first section to Para St is paved; the remainder is hot mix. After crossing Para St the trail turns left and then parallels Eighteenth St/Sturt Highway. This area was once the railway station and freight yards; now it is a housing estate and Council offices. Just past the Council offices an old railway crane sits alone, the sole remnant of the station precinct.

 

Great care is required crossing the Sturt Highway as this is a major interstate freight route. The trail then passes behind houses on the edge of town with the highway to the right. At 1.8 km a ramp to the left allows access to the riverfront trail. Immediately following are the first two of four railway bridges over swampy waterways. Another ramp just after the second bridge accesses a trail that passes beneath the bridge, leading to Paringa Paddock and its many MTB and walking trails.

 

Patey Drive crosses the trail and is the highway access point for the Renmark Riverfront Caravan Park. Near the caravan park entrance are public toilets, BBQ and picnic facilities, river access and a boat ramp, and a boardwalk across shallow water to a small island for birdwatching. The caravan park café/kiosk is accessible from Patey Dr.

 

Patey Drive to Paringa (1.9 km)

A signposted gravel road 250 m beyond Patey Dr leads to the Paringa Paddock trails. Take care crossing the highway.

 

There are two more railway bridges to cross before the Paringa Bridge comes into view. Approaching the western end of the bridge, cross the entrance road to the Riverbend Caravan Park and the eastbound carriageway of the highway to reach the bridge’s central cycle path. 

 

Paringa Bridge was built in 1927 as a multi-use bridge over the Murray, with vehicles sharing the central passage with the railway. Later, outrigger vehicle decks were added to either side, leaving just the railway in the centre corridor. This is now the cycle path, necessitating crossing the eastbound lane of the highway at both ends of the bridge. The lifting span is close to the Paringa end of the bridge

Leaving the bridge on the eastern side, cross the highway again to reach the remaining trail into Paringa. On the left you will see a museum and also some silo art. The trail finishes on a service road close to the Paringa store and post office. Paringa also has a bakery café, the Black Stump Gallery and a hotel.

 

Side Trails

Renmark Riverfront Trail (3.3 km)

The Renmark Riverfront Trail follows the western bank of the river from the Riverfront Caravan Park. It diverges through a housing estate briefly before returning to the river.

The Visitor Information Centre is opposite the Renmark Hotel. Bike hire is available through the Information Centre, best booked in advance by phone or online. The paddle steamer Industry is moored behind the Information Centre and has regular passenger steaming days.

Continuing north, the trail drops to river level as it passes in front of the Renmark Club before climbing back to street level before the old wharf area. The central shopping area is to the left and has bakeries, cafes and other shops.

The trail continues through shady parks to the main irrigation pumping station.

 

Paringa Paddock MTB Trails

Paringa Paddock is easily reached from the rail trail and has a number of walking and MTB trails. Maps can be obtained online or from the Visitor Information Centre in Renmark. Trails are a mix of single track and unsealed roads. 

 

Lock 5 (1.7 km)

Lock 5 Rd can be reached from the eastern end of Paringa Bridge. Bert Dix Park has BBQs, toilets and picnic facilities. Continue on the lightly trafficked road past moored houseboats. Lock 5 and weir has well kept, shady grounds with a picnic area, BBQs and toilets. The historic barge Bunyip is displayed in the grounds and displays historical information and photographs about the barge and the locks.

 

Old Customs House (31 km)

Leave Paringa on Murtho Rd, uphill initially passing the scenic lookout on the left. Murtho Rd is sealed and lightly trafficked, though it does have a 100km/h speed limit. The terrain is mostly flat and passes irrigated orchards and open farmland. 

Headings Cliffs Lookout 12.5 km from Paringa has great views. It is 1 km off to the left on a sealed road.

Turn left 15 km from Paringa on to Wilkinson Rd to visit Wilkadine-Woolshed Brewery overlooking a bend in the Murray River. It is less than 1 km from Murtho Rd.

Approximately 26.5 km from Paringa, just past the intersection with Millewa Road and cattle grid, the route of the old Chowilla Dam railway crosses Murtho Rd. Little evidence remains of the old line.

Old Customs House was established in the late 1800s to levy excise on goods shipped into SA by Murray River steamers. Today it is a base for houseboats and has a general store, and is the stepping-off point for the Border Cliffs Wetlands Walk.

Background Information

Traditional owners

We acknowledge the Meru people, the traditional custodians of the land and waterways on which the rail trail is built.

Development and future of the rail trail 

The Renmark–Paringa Rail Trail was built following closure and removal of the railway.

There are no plans to extend the trail through to Berri or Barmera at this stage.

Rail line history 

The Barmera line branched east at Tailem Bend from the main Adelaide to Melbourne line. It was opened to Paringa in 1913. World War I delayed construction of the Paringa Bridge and the railway to Renmark did not open until 1927. The line was extended to Barmera in 1928.  

The line closed west of Paringa in 1984 and tracks were removed by 1986.

In the 1960s, a branch line was built which joined the main line southeast of Paringa, near the Wonuarra siding. Built to support construction of the proposed Chowilla Dam, it was 27.3 km long and went northeast to Murtho to the south bank of the Murray. . Construction of the dam was cancelled in 1967; the rail line was removed without ever being used (though there are reports that one test train did run on the line). The route of the line is still visible using Google Earth.

No services listed for this rail trail.

Advertise your Business Here

Click here for information on advertising your rail trail support business.

Map Legend:

  • Rail Trail
  • On Road
  • Possible Rail Trail
  • Other Trail
  • former Railway
  • Historic WWII munitions plant with extensive rail and tramway network
  • Links Salisbury Railway Station with the northern industrial and Defence precincts  
  • Passes alongside RAAF Edinburgh 
  • Semi-rural alternative to busier urban routes between Salisbury and Elizabeth

Attractions

  • Historic remains of Penfield railway
  • RAAF Base Edinburgh
  • Penfield Model Engineers Society railway park

Trail Guide

This flat trail links Salisbury Railway Station with the northern industrial and Defence precincts via the railway corridor where possible and by adjacent paths and roads where the railway corridor is not accessible.

The trail gives cyclists and tourists an opportunity to view the remains of a once busy and important railway line. Some of the railway corridor is still within Defence land and is not accessible. 

Penfield Model Engineers Society has extensive landscaped grounds and railway networks and is at the eastern end of Woomera Ave (1.5 km from Penfield Trail). 

From the northern end cyclists can head east to return to the Gawler railway line at Elizabeth or head northwest to the Stuart O’Grady Cycleway to Gawler.

There are no facilities, shops or cafes along this trail.

There is no signage relating to this trail; it must be self-navigated.

Section Guides

Salisbury to Penfield 1 (3.2 km)

This section features a smooth hot-mix surface with some paved sections.

From Salisbury Railway Station, find the cycle path along the western side of the station. Head north, cross Salisbury Highway on the pedestrian bridge and continue north. At the Little Para River, cross the Little Para River Cycle Trail and continue north across the pedestrian bridge. At the next fork, veer right to pass between Salisbury High School and the railway line on a paved path that terminates on Langford Tce.

Continue northwest along Langford Tce with the Main North Line on the right. Right turns are not allowed at the northern end of Langford Tce, so cyclists must use the ramp on the right and proceed on the footpath along Bagster Rd, crossing the Main North Line before then crossing Bagster Rd to reach closed-to-traffic First Ave.

The Penfield Line corridor lies between First Ave and the Main North Line. At the northwestern end of First Ave, take the cyclepath to the left to follow close to the Main North Line, crossing the Penfield line corridor in the process.

The cyclepath ends at West Ave. Penfield 1 station was just to the northeast of this point but no remains are visible. The security checkpoint at the entrance to the old Weapons Research Establishment lies to the east. Some buildings are still in use but access to this area is no longer restricted.

  • Behind Salisbury High School near Langford Tce, a subway passes beneath the Main North Line leading to a pedestrian overpass over the Gawler line. From this overpass, the remains of the Penfield line are visible diverging from the Gawler line and ending abruptly at the edge of an industrial estate. This piece of line is sometimes used to park railcars that have terminated at Salisbury
  • As you pass Compton St on Langford Tce you are near the old Hilra Station on the opposite side of the Main North Line, in what is now an industrial estate. No evidence remains
  • On the northern side of Bagster Rd there is some old railway infrastructure and ballast within the railway corridor of the old Penfield line between the Main North Line and First Ave
  • Midway along the cyclepath at the north-western end of First Ave remains of the Penfield Line are visible on the right. The two tracks of the Penfield Line curve to the right while a single line continues straight ahead to the old Bulk Stores, of which some sawtooth roof buildings still exist. Ballast and a number of concrete culverts remain near the line junction.

Penfield 1 to Penfield 3 (2.9 km)

This section is initially on road or footpath, then a good quality sealed cycle path to the west of the Penfield line corridor.

Proceed north along West Ave, which is usually quiet in this section. The eastern footpath is a good option for children or adults who do not wish to ride on the road. Take care at the junction with Woomera Ave.

Prior to the Purling Road roundabout cross to the eastern footpath to minimise road crossings. North of Purling Rd the trail is a good quality path well away from the road. 

Approaching Taranaki Rd roundabout, Penfield 3 station remains are visible on the right.

  • At the eastern end of Woomera Ave (1.5 km from West Ave) is the Penfield Model Engineers Society, with extensive landscaped grounds and railway networks
  • The first road crossing north of the Purling Rd roundabout is the Defence Science and Technology Organisation (DSTO) main entrance, which can be busy at peak hours
  • The Penfield line crossed just to the west of the DSTO security gate and Penfield 2 station was just south of the entrance road. No evidence remains of the line or station
  • North of the DSTO entrance the Penfield railway corridor can be discerned from remaining ballast, culverts and tree lines
  • Close to the fence line of RAAF Edinburgh are several sawtooth roofed red brick warehouses that have loading platforms evident on their eastern sides. They were served by a spurline that crossed West Ave north of Taranaki Rd
  • Platform and shelter remain of Penfield 3 station near Taranaki Rd, now overgrown with trees and bushes 

Penfield 3 to Edinburgh North (1.2 km)

This section is on a good quality sealed cycle path to the west of the Penfield line balloon loop. An alternate route is to travel via Taranaki Rd past Penfield 3 station and turn left into East Ave, which for much of its length is closed to traffic but open to cyclists and pedestrians.

Both routes terminate at Bellchambers Rd, Edinburgh North.

Turn right on to Bellchambers Rd to travel to Elizabeth and the Gawler rail line.

  • the route of the balloon loop can be discerned at various times of the year, depending on crops and grazing
  • RAAF Edinburgh has an AP3C Orion aircraft and a Leopard tank on display near the main entrance

Background Information

Traditional owners

We acknowledge the Kaurna people, the traditional custodians of the land and waterways on which the rail trail is built.

Rail line history 

Penfield railway line started just north of the Salisbury station on the Gawler line,  then ran northwest and then turned north through Defence land in what is now Edinburgh. It served  Hilra, Penfield 1, Penfield 2, and Penfield 3 stations and was double track for the whole length. The line had a balloon loop for trains to go the other way. The line was closed and dismantled in 1991.

The line opened in 1941 to serve various World War II armaments factories at what was then known as Penfield. As it was built for industrial purposes, sidings branched off both the Up and Down tracks at many locations. The largest siding went into what is now RAAF Base Edinburgh. During the war years this branch line was used by passenger trains carrying workers to the munitions factories in the area as well as freight trains carrying raw materials in and armaments out. Passenger trains were necessary because Salisbury was a semi-rural community at the time and most of the workforce had to be brought in from other districts.

The No 2 Explosives and Filling factory sprawled over 11.65 square kilometres of plain in the Penfield area in mid 1942. It employed 6500 people working a six-day week around the clock in three shifts. It was served by 25 passenger trains a day; 19 were from Adelaide, the other six from Gawler, Hamley Bridge, Tanunda, Angaston and Kapunda via a specially built connecting curve from the main north line to the Penfield branch line.

A more limited peak hour passenger service to Penfield continued after the war, serving staff at the government Weapons Research Establishment (later DSTO).

The balloon loop closed in June 1983 following the derailment of a train of railcars. Services continued to Penfield 3 on the Down track and returned on the Up track using a crossover just south of Penfield 3. The Up track beyond Hilra closed in April 1984 along with most of the sidings. The remaining sidings were closed in 1986, and single track went for the length of the branch by the end of the 1980s.

The remaining peak-hour trains were withdrawn from the Penfield branch in January 1991, due to low patronage and the need to fund an upgrade of the worn-out track. The track was dismantled in the same year but several hundred metres of track from Salisbury station were kept so that trains from Adelaide terminating at Salisbury could change direction back to Adelaide. The short spur remains, but the next section through Hilra station has been replaced by the road through an industrial estate. 

No services listed for this rail trail.

Advertise your Business Here

Click here for information on advertising your rail trail support business.

Map Legend:

  • Rail Trail
  • On Road
  • Possible Rail Trail
  • Other Trail
  • former Railway
  • Connects the inland town of Kadina with the coastal town of Wallaroo
  • Provides contrasting scenery from dryland interior to beaches
  • The proposed extension Moonta will add mining heritage and additional coastal scenery 

Attractions

  • Moonta Bay, Port Hughes and Wallaroo townships have extensive sandy beaches
  • Jetties and boat-launching facilities provide access to fishing
  • The area is rich in mining and agricultural history, with many museums
  • Moonta Mine Museum is a great family attraction and will connect with the proposed trail extension
  • The wealth generated by copper mining is reflected in the many late 1800s buildings
  • The biennial Kernewek Lowender festival celebrates the area’s strong Cornish heritage

Trail Guide

The Copper Coast Rail Trail connects the copper mines in Kadina (mine was called the Wallaroo Mine even though it is today within the township of Kadina) to the deep-sea jetty in the township of Wallaroo. The trail is within the original rail corridor and vegetation is confined to low dryland shrubs with the occasional taller tree. The path is in good condition and there are several shelters along the trail and facilities at each end.

Section Guides

Kadina to Wallaroo (8 km)

The rail trail begins in at Powell Terrace, not far from the main roundabout on the Copper Coast Highway. There is a shade shelter at this point; there are shops on the opposite side of the roundabout, and over the Copper Coast Highway.

When the trail crosses Lipsom St there are remnants of the Wallaroo mines on the left.

The trail continues through open country to the outskirts of Wallaroo to Wallaroo jetty.

 

Wallaroo to Moonta (proposed trail of around 18 km)

Construction on this section of the trail is expected to begin in 2021-22.

Background Information

Traditional owners

We acknowledge the Narangga people, the traditional custodians of the lands and waterways on which the rail trail is built.

Town naming

Wallaroo is derived from the Aboriginal term dharug walaru –a macropod, or medium-sized member of the marsupial family that includes kangaroos and wallabies.

Kadina is derived from the Aboriginal term kaddy-yeena – lizard plain.’

Moonta is derived from the Aboriginal term moonta-moonterra –‘impenetrable scrub.’

Development and future of the rail trail 

A rail trail connecting Wallaroo with Moonta is expected to begin construction in 2021-22.

No services listed for this rail trail.

Advertise your Business Here

Click here for information on advertising your rail trail support business.

Map Legend:

  • Rail Trail
  • On Road
  • Possible Rail Trail
  • Other Trail
  • former Railway
  • The proposed Cowra to Eugowra Rail Trail would be 66 km long, making it ideal for day trippers and locals
  • Spectacular rural scenery
  • Cowra has many other attractions, including the Japanese Gardens

Attractions

This trail is not opened or developed.  It is one of 17 possible rail trails in NSW.

  • Japanese Gardens and war cemetery, Cowra
  • Lachlan Valley Railway, Cowra
  • Age of Fishes Museum, Canowindra
  • Village of Murals, Eugowra
  • Canowindra Hot-air balloon festival

 

Trail Guide

This trail is not opened or developed.  It is one of 17 possible rail trails in NSW.

Section Guides

Cowra to Canowindra (32 km)

This trail would run through scenic, undulating countryside around Cowra before traversing rich farmland to Canowindra.

There will be a few road crossings to negotiate, but most are on quiet rural roads.

Cowra and Canowindra are large country towns, with many accommodation and refreshment options.

Canowindra to Eugowra (34 km)

This section is predominantly flat farmland. The small village of Gooloogong is about

halfway between Canowindra and Eugowra, around 4 km from the grain silos at the old station site.

Background Information

Traditional owners

We acknowledge the Wiradjuri people, the traditional custodians of the land and waterways on which the rail trail will be built.

Development and future of the rail trail

As of June 2021 there is no active committee trying to lobby for the construction of a rail trail on this disused corridor. Rail Trails Australia views this as a viable potential rail trail, and would be keen to support any person or group to lobby for its construction.

If you are interested, contact us at nsw@railtrails.org.au

Rail line history 

The Eugowra branch line lies in the Central West. It branches off the Blayney-Demondrille line at Cowra, and heads west to Eugowra.

The line was built to open up the rich lands between Cowra and Forbes, with various plans to link it with the Main West or the Stockinbingal-Forbes lines; in the end it was extended as far as Eugowra. The line was built to ‘pioneer’ standards, which meant earth ballasting and no fences.

Grain was the main traffic on the line; passenger levels were always poor due to the relative shortness of the branch. Although boasting a rail motor service from 1927, in the years leading up to the cessation of passenger services in 1974 people were carried in the brake van of the regular freight.

The line was closed at Trajere in 1991 and reopened in 1994 as a tourist railway by the Lachlan Valley Railway. In recent years the bridge over Cucumber Creek, near Canowindra, has been removed to facilitate water flow in times of flood. Some local groups are fighting to get this line re-opened.

Services are currently suspended on the branch, with a stop block placed on the line at 369.85 km just beyond the location of Cowra West. There are many trees in the tracks along the line, and there have been moves to remove the infrastructure within the town of Cowra. It is unlikely this line will ever reopen.

No services listed for this rail trail.

Advertise your Business Here

Click here for information on advertising your rail trail support business.

Map Legend:

  • Rail Trail
  • On Road
  • Possible Rail Trail
  • Other Trail
  • former Railway
  • Honours elite junior local cyclist Shamus Liptrot who died in 2011, several years after suffering serious injuries in a cycling accident. Halbury was Shamus’s home town 
  • An excellent ride for all the family and can be extended to form a longer ride along the Wakefield Plains and Clare Valley
  • The history of the bullock and rail trails comes alive in Devil’s Garden adjoining the trail midway between Balaklava and Halbury
  • An excellent ride from Leasingham through the range to Halbury then Balaklava

Attractions

  • Dunn’s Bridge 1.5 km from Balaklava is  a single span bowstring arch bridge built in 1880 over the Wakefield River.
  • Devil’s Garden 7km from Balaklava, east of the Roberts Rd crossing is a small area of eucalypts that has a history of sand hills, bullock teams, corduroy roads and serious flooding. To find out more click here
  • Links to the Balaklava to Port Wakefield section of the Copper Rail Trail
  • Links to a back roads trail to the Riesling Trail (Leasingham) in the east

Trail Guide

The trail is flat and runs through a well vegetated corridor. At Roberts Rd about halfway, take time to visit Devil’s Garden.

Parking is available in Edith Tce, Balaklava, close to shops and amenities and a short distance from the trail at the junction of War Memorial Dr and Railway Tce. The trail begins on the northern side of the rail corridor just north of the intersection of War Memorial Dr and Railway Tce. Follow the path east along the back of Christopher St.

 

 

Section Guides

Balaklava to Halbury

The trail crosses Dunn’s Bridge 1.5 km from Balaklava. This metal bowstring arch bridge was built in 1880 and heritage listed in 1995.

A further 3 km along the trail there is a small bridge over a creek. Dismount to cross the bridge; it is narrow with an uneven surface.

Use Roberts Rd 2 km along the trail to reach a roadside cairn that describes the Devil’s Garden, a fine example of mallee box woodland.

The rail trail terminates at Halbury, but a well signed back roads trail can be followed over the range to Leasingham and the Riesling Trail

Background Information

Traditional owners

We acknowledge the Kaurna and Ngadjuri people, the traditional custodians of the land and waterways on which the trail is built.

Rail history

The line from Balaklava to Blyth opened in 1876 and closed in 1988. The rails and sleepers were removed shortly after, and the rail trail was built in 2012.

There is a memorial to Shamus Liptrot at the junction of the trail and Bridge Rd, 1 km from Balaklava.

The 37 km Copper Trail begins at Port Wakefield follows an unused rail reserve 26 km to Balaklava and a further 11 km to Halbury. From Halbury the Copper Trail follows a signed route on back roads over the range to Leasingham on the Riesling Trail. 

Development and future of the Rail Trail

Wakefield Regional Council is planning to extend the trail beyond Halbury, following the unused rail corridor north. Ultimately, the Copper Rail Trail may connect with the Southern Flinders Rail Trail.

No services listed for this rail trail.

Advertise your Business Here

Click here for information on advertising your rail trail support business.

New Copper Rail Trail Opened in South Australia

Posted: 18/07/20

The Wakefield Regional Council, located in the mid north of South Australia, has constructed a 26...

More...