Map Legend:

  • Rail Trail
  • On Road
  • Possible Rail Trail
  • Other Trail
  • former Railway
  • A short trail for all the family that follows the tram line from Adelaide to the coastal beach area of Glenelg
  • The trail moves through suburban Adelaide but avoids most main roads and busy areas. 
  • Main road crossings are controlled by traffic lights
  • Interesting artwork
  • Flat with the exception of street overpasses that are easy to climb
  • Adelaide’s busiest cycle route; as used as a commuter route in mornings and evenings 

Attractions

  • Starts in Adelaide’s parklands and ends on coastal beaches
  • Beachside suburb of Glenelg has a great range of eateries
  • 8 km from Adelaide CBD the trail intersects with the Sturt River Linear Park Trail,  which heads south to for 12 km to link with the Patrick Jonker Veloway
  • At the junction with the Sturt River Linear Park Trail you can travel north over Anzac Highway to join the Westside Rail Trail, which leads back to Adelaide CBD
  • Ends at Glenelg Beach, where it joins the coast park, a 28 km trail along Adelaide’s beach frontage

Trail Guide

Overall description

The trail has two sections and crosses several busy roads, either through controlled crossings or by overpasses. It is an enjoyable ride that links cyclists with several other trails and ultimately with Adelaide’s coastline.

Section Guides

South Terrace (Adelaide Parklands) to South Road Overpass (4km)

  • From South Tce the trail runs between the tram line and Peacock Rd to Greenhill Rd; crossed at traffic lights to the western side of King William Rd
  • Continues on the footpath for a short distance before moving away from the road to following the tram line as a dedicated shared-use path.
  • The trail follows the tramline through to Goodwood Rd which can be crossed at the pedestrian crossing to Railway Tce
  • The 900 m section of the trail from Greenhill Rd to Musgrave St is being upgraded and widened 
  • The trail follows Railway Tce until it turns left and becomes Devon St;   turn right and ride through the tunnel beneath the tram overpass, then turn immediately left and ride a short distance to the end of the street where you turn right and walk your bike to the Railway Station subway beneath the train line to the reserve. Turn left to the tram overpass and veer right, following the path to Ethel St/Norman Tce to the pedestrian crossing on Leah St.
  • The trail is then a well-defined shared use path along the edge of the tram line. After a short distance, the South Rd overpass provides good views of the city

 

South Road Overpass to Brighton Road, Glenelg ( 6km) 

  • About 500 m from the South Rd overpass, cross the tram line at the pedestrian crossing at stop 7 Glandore. Walk your bike and look out for trams
  • The trail continues as a shared-use path to the pedestrian crossing on Marion Rd and the pedestrian crossing at Cross Rd.. Watch out for the ‘bike chain people’ artwork
  • Over the Morphett Rd pedestrian crossing point you will see the Sturt River concrete channel. On the other side of this the path continues along the tram line but there is also a bike path to the right that takes cyclists over the tram line to Anzac Highway and then on to the Westside Rail Trail back to the city. The bike path on the left is the 12 km Sturt River Cycle Path, which extends to the Southern Expressway and the Patrick Jonker Veloway
  • Continue on the shared use path as it follows the tram line to Glenelg. Watch out for the giraffe beside the path!
  • The trail ends at Brighton Rd, where you use the pedestrian crossing to continue along Jetty Rd to the beach or, if Jetty Rd is too busy, Augusta St 200m to the north.

Background Information

Traditional owners

We acknowledge the Kaurna people, the traditional custodians of the land and waterways on which the rail trail is built.

 

Development and future of the rail trail 

The trail is continually being redeveloped and refined. The most recent works involve the reconstruction of a 900 m section of the trail from South Tce (City Parklands edge) southward along the tram line.

Future planned works involve a cycle and pedestrian overpass above Goodwood Railway Station, expected to begin in 2021-22.

 

Railway history 

In August 1873 the Adelaide, Glenelg and Suburban Railway Company opened a line between Adelaide and Glenelg, on the route of the present tramway.

In May 1880, the private company ‘Holdfast Railway Company opened the Holdfast Bay Line from Adelaide Railway Station to Glenelg. The two rail lines ran parallel with each other, separated by a few suburbs. Both lines were soon in financial trouble and merged to form the Glenelg Railway Company on 11 May 1882.

The two lines were now almost viable as they were able to rationalise and share rolling stock.

In December 1899, the ‘Glenelg Railway Company’ was acquired by the South Australian Railways, which continued to operate the Adelaide to Glenelg line as a steam railway until 1929 when the tracks were rebuilt and electrified for tram operation. The Adelaide Railway Station to Glenelg line was removed in 1929.

Growth in the number of buses resulted in a decline in patronage and growing losses for the tram line. By the 1950s Adelaide’s network of trams had disappeared with the exception of the Adelaide to Glenelg line, primarily due to the line being constructed on its own rail reserve, providing faster travelling times and minimal interference with road traffic.

The Adelaide to Glenelg tram is operational today and the Adelaide tram network is beginning to grow again.

 

Naming of the Trail

The Mike Turtur Trail was named after local cyclist Michael Turtur, who competed in the Olympic Games and three Commonwealth Games, winning a total of five medals. He was race director for the Tour Down Under from inception in 1999 to 2020 and in In 2018 Mr Turtur was made an Officer of the Order of Australia (AO) for distinguished service to cycling, particularly through the development and promotion of world-class road cycling events, and to the community of South Australia.

No services listed for this rail trail.

Advertise your Business Here

Click here for information on advertising your rail trail support business.

Mike Turtur Bikeway in South Australia receives a $28m boost to improve safety

Posted: 06/07/21

The State Government has announced that a bridge for cyclists and pedestrians will be constructed ...

More...

Mike Turtur Bikeway Rail Side Trail Upgrade (South Australia)

Posted: 16/10/20

South Australia's Department of Planning, Transport and Infrastructure in partnership with the City of Unley ...

More...

Map Legend:

  • Rail Trail
  • On Road
  • Possible Rail Trail
  • Other Trail
  • former Railway
The Encounter Bikeway is a railside trail as well as a heritage rail trail that runs parallel to the original 1853 corridor. This area is a prominent tourist destination, and the best way to see it all is by bike.
  •  The 31.5 km trail is sealed and is a mixture of relatively quiet ‘on road‘ sections and shared use paths
  • The trail begins in the River Murray Port of Goolwa and passes through seaside towns of Middleton and Port Elliot before arriving at Victor Harbour. All the towns date back to the mid-1800s
  • The section between Goolwa and Victor Harbor follows the alignment of the railway line and occasionally runs along the coast or through wetlands
  • The railway is used today by an tourist train called the Cockle Train, which uses restored steam trains or diesel trains depending on season and demand
  • The perfect family cycling outing, particularly when combined with a return trip home on the Cockle Train

Attractions

  • Goolwa’s wharf area has steamboats, a micro-brewery to a working railway station
  • You will see and hear the Cockle Train on many occasions as you cycle the trail
  • The Murray River mouth can be reached from Hindmarsh Island by bike or car. The barrage across the river Murray can be reached by bike 
  • The Coorong region south of the Murray mouth and can be reached on organised boat tours
  • The trail follows beaches from wild surfing areas to sheltered sandy bays
  • It’s not unusual to spot whales just off the coast 
  • The railway terminates at Victor Harbour, but a horse-drawn tram carries tourists to Granite Island for a 2 km walk around the island
  • Goolwa, Middleton, Port Elliot and Victor Harbor each claim to have the best bakery in South Australia!

Trail Guide

Overall description

The rail trail has two sections that link the four townships along the railway line. Two trails either end of the railside trail have been included because they provide great views of the Murray River and Rosetta Head.

Section Guides

Laffin Point to Goolwa Wharf (3.5 km)

(Laffin point is the start of the Encounter Bikeway)

  • A pleasant shared use path along the Murray River within the reserve next to Liverpool Rd
  • Crosses the 1914train line  that runs from Goolwa to Strathalbyn. This line is used by Steam Ranger tourist trains
  • Passes beneath the bridge to Hindmarsh Island before arriving at Goolwa Wharf

Goolwa Wharf to Port Elliot (15 km)

(Goolwa Wharf is the start of the Encounter Rail Trail)

  • The train line originally approached the wharf by reversing along Cutting Rd to be at right angles to the wharf. This was later changed so the train was parallel to the wharf and did not have to run through the centre of Goolwa. The train heads inland then west to Middleton, but the bike trail takes a scenic route along the coast to reconnect with the train line just east of Middleton
  • The wharf area was once a hive of activity moving produce from river barge to train; now it is just as busy in holiday season with tourists visiting the area’s many activities, including the Cockle Train, a working steamboat, Coorong cruise boats, art gallery, brewery and distillery, coffee shops, cafes and markets and. Enter the wharf area from beneath the Hindmarsh Bridge, turn right into Cutting Rd, cross the rail line and then turn left into Dunbar Rd
  • As Dunbar Rd passes the railway station and moves away from the river, there is an entrance to the next section of off-road trail. This short rubble section of the trail follows the train line, then crosses the line and continues along the quiet roads of Admiral Tce and Riverside Drive on the Murray River. From Barrage Rd the trail is a shared use path that passes a café, playground and bird hide.
  • From Bristow-Smith Ave the trail uses the back streets of Goolwa and a section of shared use path through a wetland to an off-road section at the end of Redclift St. This  leads along a timber deck over the usually dry wetland within Tokuremoar Reserve, which contains some of the last and least disturbed indigenous cultural heritage sites and foreshore dune habitat of its type on the Fleurieu Peninsula
  • The trail then climbs to Surfers Pde, which offers great views of the Goolwa and Middleton surf beaches
  • The trail deviates inland toward Middleton township to cross Middleton Creek via a footbridge, then moves back to the coast at Middleton Point. When the surf is up this area is always busy 
  • The trail runs through the seaside Rantalang Basham Beach Conservation Park as it heads to Port Elliot. It’s worth taking the time to look at the restored farm buildings and artwork in this reserve
  • The Cockle Train line edges closer to the trail as you move through the reserve. As you climb to Port Elliot you will see Port Elliot Rd on the right, where the 1936 Australian Grand Prix was run between Victor Harbor and Port Elliot. 70,000 people watched Les Murphy win the race in an MG Sports car at a top speed of 110 km (68.5 miles) per hour.

Port Elliott to Victor Harbor (7.5 km)

  • Approaching Port Elliot the scenery changes from sprawling, sandy surf beaches to smaller surf beaches broken up by large areas of granite. The trail enters Port Elliot along Scrymgour Rd and then Basham Pde. Pause at the junction of Basham Pde and The Cutting to take in the scenery and history of Horseshoe Bay
  • The cutting is the alignment of the original rail line, which ran down to the small jetty on the west side of the bay. Horseshoe Bay is very scenic with its rolling surf, cafes, islands and walking trails, but it proved extremely dangerous for shipping due to its shallow depth, rocky outcrops and exposure to high winds and waves. After the loss of many ships the SA Government extended the rail line to the safer harbour a few km away in Victor Harbor
  • Enjoy the Harbour Master’s Walk around Freeman’s Knob, the shops of the Strand and the Elliot Railway Station 
  • The trail climbs up Strangways Tce along Murray Pl and then into Barbara St, where it crosses the railway line. In many places the railway line and trail are next to each other, providing opportunities for photographs of the train with the coast in the background
  • Further down the coast, the trail diverts around Urimbirra Creek at Watsons Gap, but the train crosses the creek on a reinforced concrete arch bridge built in 1907 to replace the 1863 timber and steel bridge.
  • The trail (shared use and on local roads) follows the railway line to the Hindmarsh River Bridge, then crosses the railway line and uses Bridge Tce and a foreshore shared use path to reach Victor Harbor
  • Along Bridge Tce is the Victor Harbor Yacht Club car park: enter this to reach a shared use foreshore path that can be safely followed to Warland Reserve. When you see the Anchorage Hotel on the corner of Coral St and Flinders Pde, travel a short distance along Coral St and you will see a railway road crossing controlled by wooden gates. Victor Harbor Railway Station is immediately south of the gates.
  • Return to the foreshore path and travel to Warland Reserve and the 630 m long causeway, built from 1864 to 1875, that leads to Granite Island. The Goolwa to Victor Harbor train ran along this causeway to the screw pile jetty on the eastern side of Granite Island where freight was loaded on to ships. Horse-drawn trams now ferry tourists to the island, but the causeway is in poor condition and is to be rebuilt, with only small sections of the start and finish of the original timber causeway to be retained

Victor Harbor to Rosetta Head (the Bluff) (5.5 km)

(the end of the Encounter Bikeway)

  • The trail officially ends in Victor Harbor, but the Encounter Bikeway continues to Rosetta Head (the Bluff). This pleasant trail hugs the coastline and offers a scenic ride to a car park from which you can walk to the summit

Car parking

As this is a tourist region, convenient parking for cyclists’ vehicles can be an issue. 

Goolwa –at the Goolwa Wharf at the end of Cutting Rd, or along Liverpool Rd to the north of Goolwa Wharf and close to the Murray River

Middleton –along Surfers Pde and the Esplanade

Port Elliot –on the foreshore off The Cutting, but the area is often busy so the best options can usually be found along Scrymgour Rd, Basham Pde or Strangways Tce

Victor Harbor –often busy near the town centre, but on-street parks can usually be found on Bridge Tce, Flinders Pde and The Esplanade

Please note that references to streets called ‘Cutting Road’ and ‘The Cutting’ indicate that these carriageways were once excavated to become cuttings for the old rail line.

 Side trails

Goolwa Barrage ( 4km return)

  • Follow Barrage Rd south from the trail (continue following Barrage Road past the Bristow Smith Ave corner and along river for 2 km. The barrage was built in 1935 to stop salt water from the Murray mouth extending up into the river and fouling the water supply. You can walk along the concrete barrage out into the Murray and watch boats moving through the lock, seals and pelicans hunt the plentiful supply of fish.

Watson’s Gap path (7 km return)

  • The trail winds around Watson’s Gap Bridge and across Urimbirra Creek. A shared use path on the land side of the trail follows the creek into the land subdivision.

Background Information

Traditional owners

We acknowledge the Ramindjeri and Ngarrindjeri people, the traditional custodians of the lands and waterways on which the rail trail is built.

Rail history

The first Europeans to sight Victor Harbor more than 200 years ago were Captain Matthew Flinders of the British sloop Investigator and Captain Nicolas Baudin of the French ship Le Geographe. They met at sea in 1802, a few miles from the Murray mouth. Although their countries were at war, each captain was given documents by the other nation’s government stating that the ships were on scientific missions, and were therefore not to be regarded as ships of war. Together, the ships returned to the bay and sheltered while their captains compared notes. Flinders named the bay Encounter Bay after the meeting. The region’s place names are a mixture of Aboriginal, English and French.

The railway line was built in 1853 and is South Australia’s first railway and Australia’s first full scale public railway. Produce was shipped by paddle steamer and barge down the Murray and its tributaries from as far north as Queensland and was moved by horse-drawn train to the ports of Port Elliot and Victor Harbor for shipping around the world.

Initial attempts to ship produce from Goolwa to the open sea via the Murray mouth were generally unsuccessful so the SA Government built a train line to the safe port of Port Elliot. Unfortunately, there were numerous shipwrecks near the Port Elliot harbour so the line was extended to Victor Harbor in 1864. The horse-drawn train was replaced with a steam train in 1884.

By the 1890s rail lines to regional rural areas in SA and Victoria had reduced the need to use the Murray to transport produce and the Goolwa to Victor Harbor line became a passenger and tourist train.

Development and future of the rail trail

The proposed Murray Coorong Trail will follow the path of the Murray 450 km from Cadell (near Morgan) to Salt Creek (the Coorong). The three Council areas involved have begun construction of sections of the trail and will undertake further works with the help of the State Government using council reserves, levee banks, State parks and reserves and Crown land. It would be appropriate to construct a path from the Murray Coorong Trail at Wellington on the Murray to the Encounter Trail and then to the Murray River Mouth via Hindmarsh Island.  

Naming of Victor Harbor

Victor Harbor: Despite harbour normally being spelt with a ‘u’ in Australian English, the name of the city is spelt Victor Harbor. This spelling is found in several geographical names in South Australia, including Outer Harbor. The township of Victor Harbor was proclaimed in 1914 with the spelling Harbor,  The harbour was proclaimed on 27 May 1915 under the Harbors Act 1913 and its name was established on 15 June 1921 as Victor Harbor. According to the State Library of South Australia, the absence of the ‘u’ is not influenced by American spelling, but archaic English spelling. Of course, this spelling is not consistently applied.

 

No services listed for this rail trail.

Advertise your Business Here

Click here for information on advertising your rail trail support business.

Map Legend:

  • Rail Trail
  • On Road
  • Possible Rail Trail
  • Other Trail
  • former Railway
  • The Nurragi Rail Trail provides a unique opportunity to experience remnant vegetation which is indigenous to the region
  • Includes a mix of natural and cultural heritage features
  • Recommended for families, train enthusiasts, and groups who want a gentle 2-3 hour walk 

Attractions

  • More than 300 species of native plants
  • Lake Alexandrina at Milang is a great place for a dip, especially for the kids;  the water is only waist deep until past the end of the jetty
  • Milang Railway Museum (open from 12- 4 pm on Saturdays and Sundays and by appointment at other times; phone 8537 0061) has souvenirs and serves refreshments in the carriages.

Trail Guide

One of the original reasons for rail trails was to create long conservation corridors, and this trail is a good example. 

Following settlement of the area in the mid 1800s native vegetation was cleared for agricultural production and less than 2 per cent remains. The Nurragi rail corridor was left relatively undisturbed and through the efforts of the local community, council and SA Government, existing vegetation has been protected and revegetated with species of the original Milang scrub.

More than 300 species of native plants grow on the reserve; 67 of these are of particular conservation significance. The reserve also attracts native mammals, reptiles and birds.

The trail is only suitable for walking as there are many stiles over fences at the road crossings, it can be cycled if you are prepared for a significant challenge. The trail is flat and is easy walking,  but be prepared to move through sections of vegetation.

Nurragi volunteers have established a self-guided walking trail from Sandergrove to Milang. Points of interest are marked, distance markers have been installed, and a brochure produced to guide walkers.

The only facilities are at Milang, including BBQ facilities and a caravan park at the foreshore. 

Nurragi Conservation Reserve can be reached from many points including:

  • The Sandergrove end via Goolwa Rd and Tucker Rd (follow Tucker Rd to the end, past the railway line)
  • Next to the cemetery (off Weeroona Rd) at the Milang end 
  • At Punkulde or from Nurragi Rd

Background Information

Traditional owners

We acknowledge the Ngarrindjeri people, the traditional custodians of the land and waterways on which the rail trail is built.

 

Rail line history 

The Reserve is on the former Sandergrove to Milang railway line, which opened in 1884 and closed in 1970. Sandergrove was the junction on the now Steamranger line from Mt Barker to Victor Harbor, about 10 km south of Strathalbyn.

A heritage agreement permanently protects the Reserve, which is significant for its valuable remnant native vegetation. Nurragi was the intermediate station on the former railway line and is based on the Ngarrindjeri word for ‘scrub’.

The Reserve was dedicated as a nature conservation and plantation reserve in 1991, and the rail trail was officially opened  in May 2014.

No services listed for this rail trail.

Advertise your Business Here

Click here for information on advertising your rail trail support business.

Map Legend:

  • Rail Trail
  • On Road
  • Possible Rail Trail
  • Other Trail
  • former Railway
  • Rural and vineyard scenery
  • Tanunda to Angaston is flat, ideal for children and novice riders 
  • German heritage

Attractions

  •   Wine and food experiences
  •   Barossa towns
  •   Barossa Adventure Station recreation area- Angaston 

 

Trail Guide

This scenic shared use trail (walking and cycling) is located in the heart of the Barossa Valley and links the major towns of Gawler, Tanunda, Nuriootpa and Angaston via the railway corridor, taking advantage of topography and panoramic views.

Although much of the Gawler to Tanunda section is not strictly a rail trail, it gives cyclists and tourists the opportunity to extend their ride or walk and explore more parts of the Barossa by bike. It is possible to ride from Gawler to Angaston mainly on traffic-free dedicated cycle paths. Care must be taken on the short on-road sections through Gawler and Tanunda and at all road crossings. Take advantage of the many coffee shops, bakeries and restaurants in all the Barossa towns.

At the terminus of the trail in the Angaston rail yards, The Barossa Council has created a unique recreation area called the Barossa Adventure Station that features a 1 km mountain bike trail, a zipline, accessible trampolines, tower and slide, skate ramps, boulder walling, half-court basketball, sensory sound forest and picnic facilities. Barossa Adventure Station will cater for all the family and is located metres from the main street of Angaston.

There are mountain bike trails at Moculta and Pewsey Vale.

Toilets and picnic facilities are at Lyndoch, Tanunda, Nuriootpa and Angaston.

Barossa Cycle Hub at the Tanunda Visitor Information Centre (68 Murray St) includes bike hire, showers, public toilets, cycle storage and lock-up, bike maintenance stand, tools and some spare parts.

Gawler Cycle Hub at the Gawler Visitor Information Centre (2 Lyndoch Rd) includes bike hire, showers, public toilets, cycle storage and lock-up, bike maintenance stand, drinking fountain, picnic tables and shelter.

There are plenty of places to eat and stay in the region, including caravan parks in Tanunda and Nuriootpa.

Section Guides

Gawler to Lyndoch (14 km)

This section was completed in 2014 and features a high quality hot mix surface.

From Gawler Central Railway Station, travel via Murray St and Lyndoch Rd, then turn right at the Lyndoch Rd level crossing into Sunnydale Ave and left into Calton Rd. This route is uphill initially, then undulates to the start of the Barossa Rail Trail at Kalbeeba. A safer route avoiding Lyndoch Rd starts beside the Council administration building carpark in High St. Signage and road markings are only partially complete; pick up a route map at the Cycle Hub Information Centre.

From Gawler Railway Station, travel via Twelfth and Eighth Sts, across the pedestrian bridge to Walker Place, then cross the main street to Calton Rd. The first kilometre of Calton Rd is uphill, steep at first, then undulating for another 3 km to the start of the Barossa Rail Trail at Kalbeeba.

Gawler station has an F Class steam locomotive on display at its northern end.

The Barossa Rail Trail follows the unused railway line from Kalbeeba to Sandy Creek, then follows the Barossa Valley Way and railway to Lyndoch. There are no steep or dangerous sections, but take care at road crossings.

The trail passes mostly cropping and grazing farmland, then vineyards and wineries closer to Lyndoch.

At Lyndoch Hill the trail passes through the hotel grounds and rose garden.

Picnic facilities, water station and toilets are located opposite Lyndoch Bakery.

Lyndoch to Rowland Flat (5.6 km)

This section is a good quality sealed cycle path that follows Barossa Valley Way and then the unused railway line to Rowland Flat. 

The section that follows the railway line has a couple of short, steep climbs.

The trail passes vineyards and wineries.

This part of the line suffered a number of derailments over the years. An information board near Rowland Flat details the events.

Rowland Flat to Tanunda (9.4 km)

This section is not a rail trail but a good quality sealed cycle path that follows the North Para River and then Barossa Valley Way to Tanunda.

The section that follows the North Para River has several short, steep climbs and awkward sharp switchback bends, and two stock grids.

There are some hazardous sections on this trail, so all cyclists should exercise caution.

The trail passes through the grounds of Jacobs Creek Visitor Centre.

The trail finishes at the start of the main street in Tanunda; this can be busy, so exercise caution.

Cycle Hub at Barossa Visitor Information Centre in Tanunda (68 Murray St) includes bike hire, showers, public toilets, cycle storage and lock-up, bike maintenance stands, tools and some spare parts.

Tanunda Railway Station (300m east of the Cycle Hub) is in a reasonable state of repair and was in use by community groups until recently.

There are many accommodation, food and beverage options in Tanunda.

 

Tanunda to Nuriootpa (6 km)

This section is mostly a railside trail. From the Cycle Hub it is an on-road journey through Tanunda on Murray St with good on-road cycle lanes for most of the distance; alternatively the quieter and more scenic Bilyara, Langmeil and Para Roads can be used. The 3.5 km railside trail starts at Kroemers Crossing Roundabout at the intersection of Murray St and Burings Rd, and is a good sealed cycle path. 

This section features a long (around 3 km) avenue of red roses between the unused railway line and cycle path, passing vineyards and wineries. There are large, shady trees between the path and main road.

Exercise care at roundabout road crossings at Kroemers Crossing (Burings Rd) and Dorrien (Seppeltsfield Rd). The remains of Dorrien Siding are visible south of Seppeltsfield Rd.

Hot air balloons can often be seen in the morning, usually during the first hour of daylight .

The historic Penfolds building at Nuriootpa has been repurposed to provide food and beverage options.

Where the railway crosses the Barossa Valley Way at Nuriootpa, turn right into South Terrace then left into The Crescent to continue to Angaston.

 

Side Trail – Nuriootpa Linear Park Shared Use Path (2 km not included in the Barossa Rail Trail)

At the point where the railway crosses the Barossa Valley Way at Nuriootpa, continue straight ahead to Nuriootpa centre. 

About 200 m north of this crossing is Tolley Reserve, with an RX steam locomotive on display as well as toilets, picnic facilities, playground, skate park and MTB/BMX track.

A riverside linear path runs from Tolley Reserve beneath the Murray St road bridge and then on to Nuriootpa caravan park.

There are many accommodation, food and beverage options in Nuriootpa.

Nuriootpa to Angaston (7 km)

This high quality rail trail follows the old rail easement and has a smooth hot mix surface. At Nuriootpa turn into South Tce then left into The Crescent to reach the Nuriootpa – Angaston rail trail. 

No buildings remain at Nuriootpa station but platforms, railway lines and water tower are still in place.

Nuriootpa had a turning triangle rather than a turntable for reversing engines. The triangle is still in place, often hidden by long grass, and the cycle path crosses it twice.

Railway Tce, on the opposite side of Nuriootpa station, formed one straight of a rectangular racing circuit used for the 1950 Australian Grand Prix. Murray St was another straight, right through the middle of the shopping precinct.

This section passes vineyards and wineries, and features high embankments and deep, shady cuttings at the Angaston end.

The trail has been enhanced with high quality metal sculptures, information and map boards and seating at regular intervals.

Early morning wildlife encounters (birds, kangaroos, rabbits etc) are not uncommon on this section.

Road crossings have been paved to resemble rails and sleepers; exercise caution at all road crossings.

On Saturday mornings, Barossa Farmers’ Market can be reached from the Light Pass/Diagonal Rd crossing or the Stockwell Rd crossing. 

Angaston Station site has been reinvented as a multi-purpose recreation area known as the Barossa Adventure Station. 

A 1km MTB track overlooks the old railway yard.

Barossa Valley Machinery Preservation Society has a large shed in the grounds of Angaston Station. Restored/under restoration vehicles, engines and machinery are occasionally on display.

At Angaston the trail terminates in Washington St. Turn left then left again into Sturt St to reach Murray Street shops and cafes.

Angaston has a working blacksmith’s shop, open on weekends and public holidays, in the main street.

There are many accommodation, food and beverage options in Angaston.

Background Information

Traditional owners

We acknowledge the Kaurna and Ngadjuri people, the traditional custodians of the land and waterways on which the rail trail is built.

Development and future of the rail trail 

In 2010, the track between Nuriootpa and Angaston was removed and the rail trail built.

As the railway is still technically ‘operational’ from Gawler to Nuriootpa, this section of the trail has been built beside it or following the creek; however, the line has now been removed at the Kroemers Crossing roundabout near Tanunda so is unlikely to be used again without significant restoration works.

Rail line history 

The Gawler to Angaston line was officially opened in 1911. Railway authorities commissioned a special school train that carried 1258 children for the opening.

In 1917 the line was extended northeast to Truro and later a further branch was added to Penrice Quarry about 6 km from Nuriootpa.

Regular commuter passenger services were withdrawn in 1968 and no passenger services have used the line since 2003, when the Barossa Wine Train was withdrawn.

‘Stonie’ trains used the line to ferry soda products from Penrice quarry to Osborne until 2013.

 

No services listed for this rail trail.

Advertise your Business Here

Click here for information on advertising your rail trail support business.

Barossa Cycle Hub re-opened

Posted: 30/01/21

The Barossa Cycle Hub in Tanunda (South Australia) re-opened this week after an extended closure ...

More...

Barossa Rail Trail Improvements

Posted: 24/09/20

A dangerous intersection at Kroemer's Crossing, at the Tanunda end of the Barossa Rail Trail&...

More...

Barossa Adventure Station enhances the Barossa Rail Trail Experience

Posted: 03/07/20

The $2.5m Barossa Adventure Station was officially opened on 4 July 2020. The Barossa Council and the ...

More...

The Barossa Trail Extension (SA)

Posted: 08/10/12

The new section of Barossa Trail will be 27km in total, and will be known ...

More...

Map Legend:

  • Rail Trail
  • On Road
  • Possible Rail Trail
  • Other Trail
  • former Railway
  • Perhaps South Australia’s best known rail trail, located in one of Australia’s premier wine regions
  • Seven townships and many cellar doors along or near the trail 
  • Original railway cuttings and infrastructure form part of the trail

Attractions

  • Clare Valley vineyards and cellar doors
  • Impressive scenery from vineyards to open rural areas
  • Vibrant tourist area with a strong focus on the wine industry and fine dining using local produce
  • Access to many small townships 
  • Historic buildings including John Horrocks Cottage, St Aloysius’ Church and Martindale Hall 
  • Links with the 900 km Mawson Cycling Trail, the 300 km Lavender Cycling Trail (Murray Bridge to Clare) and the 20km Clare Valley Wine and Wilderness Trail

 

 

Trail Guide

Overall description

The Riesling Rail Trail consists of three sections that are quite different in terms of scenery and topography:

  • The 19 km Rattler Trail section from Riverton to Auburn crosses open farming country
  • The 25 km Riesling Trail section from Auburn to Clare travels along the Clare Valley, through the wine region and many of the historic towns
  • The  10 km Riesling Trail (north) from Clare to Barinia terminates at the old Barinia Railway siding. This basically flat section is an enjoyable ride through open farmland

Section Guides

Riverton to Auburn (19 km)

The trail starts from the northern end of the Riverton Oval (enter off Oxford Tce). Take time to check out Riverton’s magnificent intact railway station.

Take a break at the Rynie railway station site shelter.

The entrance to Auburn is through a shady corridor of pines, then past the oval and on to the site of Auburn station. Turn left into Church St, cross the creek and Auburn Centenary Park is on the right. The town centre is a little further at the end of Church St.

 Auburn to Clare (25 km)

This is the original section of the trail and is maintained to a very high standard.  There are interpretive signs and wineries along the way.

Depart north from Auburn station and cross the bridge that opened in 2019 to enable the rail trail to be entirely on the old railway corridor, 25 years after the Riesling Trail began.

Cross the highway with care and enjoy the gentle climb to Leasingham, 8 km away. After bypassing the site of a missing bridge, the trail climbs gently to Watervale and Pentwortham.

At Penwortham, Highway 83 crosses beneath the trail and follows it to Clare. Visit historic St Mark’s church (visible from the trail and accessible from Pawelski Rd) where district pioneer John Horrocks was buried in 1846. John Horrocks’ cottage can also be viewed on the corner of Surrey Ln and Horrocks Highway.

After a further 5 km you reach Sevenhill, where you pass the cemetery on your descent into Clare. St Aloysius’ Church and Sevenhill Cellars are a short distance up College Rd.

The trail terminates at a carpark at the old railway yard. The station is gone, but a new shelter has been built next to Leasingham Winery.

Follow the town centre signs to the highway and the township of Clare.

 

Clare to Barinia Rd, White Hut (10 km)

This section extends north from the site of Clare railway station. It features a quality surface through shady cuttings and bridges before coming out to beautiful farmland areas. The trail terminates at Barinia Rd, White Hut.

Background Information

Traditional owners

We acknowledge the Ngadjuri people, the traditional custodians of the land and waterways on which the rail trail is built.

 

Rail history

One of Australia’s early explorers, Edward John Eyre, made his way through the valley in 1839. His favourable reports led John Horrocks to settle there and to found Penwortham, the first settlement north of Gawler. In 1840 Edward Gleeson set up a sheep station and established Clare, named after his native county in Ireland. Copper was discovered at nearby Burra in 1845. Villages were established and roads were built, and by the 1880s and 90s wine growing had taken hold in the region.

The railway reached Riverton in 1864, but the railway did not reach the valley and Clare until 1918, finally stretching to Spalding in 1922, a distance of 86 km. The line closed in 1984 and the track was dismantled in 1989. 

The trail is managed by a voluntary committee of management with assistance from the Department of Recreation and Sport (Trails SA).

 

Development and future of the Rail Trail

Potential Barinia to Spalding trail extension

There is a proposal to extend the Riesling Trail from Barinia to Spalding along the original rail reserve.

Clare Valley Wine and Wilderness Trail

The Clare Valley Wine and Wilderness Trail is a 100 km hiking and cycling trail designed to highlight the wine, food and natural landscapes of the Clare Valley. This trail intersects and occasionally follows the Riesling Trail.

Both the hiking and cycling trails for Stage 1 (Clare Valley Wine, Food ands Tourism Centre to Jim Barry Wines) are complete and open for use. A map of this 20 km stage can be downloaded from the official site cvwwt.com.au

The remaining stages, totalling an additional 80 km, are under construction and due for completion in April 2022.

No services listed for this rail trail.

Advertise your Business Here

Click here for information on advertising your rail trail support business.

Riesling Trail (in South Australia) has a bridge upgrade

Posted: 04/12/20

The Riesling Trail Management Committee, with assistance from the Federal Government, SA Government Office for ...

More...

Even COVID-19 has a silver lining

Posted: 02/05/20

COVID-19 has changed our lives. Social distancing and semi-lockdowns have become the norm but there ...

More...

Funding for Riesling – Rattler Rail Trail upgrade

Posted: 30/05/13

The all-weather trail is located in the Gilbert Valley as a direct linkage to the ...

More...

Map Legend:

  • Rail Trail
  • On Road
  • Possible Rail Trail
  • Other Trail
  • former Railway
  • A great day or weekend destination on the Fleurieu Peninsula
  • High standard rail trail from the southern suburbs of Adelaide to Willunga
  • Sealed surface and gentle gradients
  • Shady cuttings, underpasses, original embankments and bridges
  • Landscape varies from sea views to vineyards, including magnificent ocean cliffs at Hallett Cove, Onkaparinga River Recreation Reserve and the vineyards of the Southern Vales Wine region for the last 15km

Attractions

  • The wineries of McLaren Vale and Willunga with their cellar doors are within easy reach of the rail trail
  • The Shiraz Rail Trail section (McLaren Vale to Willunga) is short at 8 km, but there are so many cellar doors along the way it could be an all-day ride. Visit the McLaren Vale information centre for a map of all that is on offer in this section
  • Many options for dining in McLaren Vale  and Willunga
  • An extensive range of accommodation in McLaren Vale and Willunga, with many bike friendly 

Trail Guide

The Coast to Vines Rail Trail consists of three sections that are quite different in terms of scenery and topography:

  • Marino Rocks to Old Reynella is 9.4 km long and climbs steadily from the coast, heading inland along steep gullies but still within suburbia
  • Old Reynella to McLaren Vale is 20 km long and travels south along the old rail reserve before it crosses beneath South Rd into open farmland
  • McLaren Vale to Willunga is 8 km long and displays the best of the Southern Vales Wine region, including the townships of McLaren Vale and Willunga

McLaren Vale and Willunga combine the tourism features you would expect from a famous wine region with an unrushed and welcoming rural setting. Both offer extensive dining and accommodation. Visit at the McLaren Vale Information Centre – on the trail as you approach McLaren Vale – for all the touring information you will need.

Section Guides

Marino to Old Reynella (9.4 km)

  • From Marino Rocks Station the trail runs south beside the operational railway to Hallett Cove and then follows the alignment of the Old Willunga Rail Line. Frequent stops will be needed to take in the ocean views
  • At Hallett Cove Railway Station, follow the signage through the station (walk your bike) to the ramp at the southern end of the station. This leads you to the overpass above the railway line. On the eastern side of the rail line the path gradually swings to the east; follow it uphill to Zwerner Drive opposite Hallett Cove Mall shopping centre
  • The trail follows a deep gully and waterfall creek. Glade Crescent Reserve has a playground and toilets.
  • Cross Lonsdale Rd at the lights, then follow the old railway line alignment through the scenic Hugh Johnson Boulevard Reserve. Just beyond the Young St crossing you reach the highest point on the trail. 
  • The trail passes beneath the Southern Expressway, then beneath the Main South Rd bridge and climbs to busy Old South Rd where you cross at the lights. The path follows Old South Rd to the right for a short distance before rejoining the old rail alignment.

Old Reynella to McLaren Vale (20 km)

  • From here the trail is a wide, well vegetated reserve through the suburbs, linking conservation reserves and parks. Major road crossings have traffic islands or lights
  • After Hackham the scenery becomes more rural as it descends to Noarlunga Downs
  • At Noarlunga Downs, the trail crosses the Onkaparinga River on a restored bridge (watch for the sewer vent pole in the middle of the path on the approach to the bridge), and after another 600 m it reaches Railway Rd
  • The trail runs next to the electric railway, passing the new stations of Seaford and Seaford Meadows
  • The trail climbs to the Seaford Rise housing estate before turning east into Pedler Creek valley. From here it becomes a rural landscape of rolling hills
  • At the end of the valley the trail joins a pathway beside Victor Harbour Rd for 250 m before passing beneath it to emerge beside Main Rd, McLaren Vale. Take care; the underpass decking has blind corners and can be slippery when wet
  • The Visitor information centre is well worth a stop for a coffee and a great display about the region
  • The trail crosses Main Road into Caffrey St for 300 m, then turns left. Cross Main Rd as you reach the Almond Train, an old railway carriage that has been converted into a gift shop
  • There are many shops and bakeries in McLaren Vale
  • Toilets at Memorial Reserve, 270 m south of the Almond Train on the opposite side of the road

McLaren Vale to Willunga (8 km) – the Shiraz Rail Trail

  • The trail continues for an uninterrupted 8 km gentle  climb to Willunga. There are many wild olive trees beside the trail and you are surrounded by vineyards
  • Willunga has a well-preserved railway station and the township is a few hundred metres away
  • Visit the Old Willunga Courthouse and Police Station Museum, rose gardens, nurseries and the Willunga Wirra Arboretum

Patrick Jonker Bikeway: a good way to return to Adelaide

Patrick Jonker Bikeway is a 20 km sealed shared use path that follows the Southern Expressway from Darlington to Noarlunga. The bikeway offers plenty of climbs as you head south, and connects with the Coast to Vines rail trail at the Panalatinga Rd exit from the expressway and also at the southern end of the expressway just north of the Onkaparinga River bridge.

The northern end of the bikeway also intersects with the Sturt River Linear Trail just north of the trail’s crossing point at Marion Rd. The Sturt River Linear Trail provides a scenic ride along the watercourse and intersects with the Mike Turtur Rail Trail. Cycle Instead (maps.sa.gov.au) provides a good overview of Adelaide’s cycling network, including the Patrick Yonkers Bikeway, Sturt River Linear Park Trail and the Coast to Vines Rail Trail.

Background Information

Traditional owners

We acknowledge the Kaurna people, the traditional custodians of the land and waterways on which the rail trail is built.

 

Development and future of the rail trail 

Planning has begun for the construction of a cycle path from Willunga to the coastal town of Aldinga. This path will connect the Coast to Vines Trail with the Coast Park, a cycling/walking trail that extends along the coastal beaches. Construction is likely to begin in 2022-23.

Funding has been secured for the construction of a 4 km shared use path from McLaren Vale to McLaren Flat. The trail, which will be known as the Flat to Vale Trail, will connect with the Coast to Vines / Shiraz Rail Trails. The trail will follow Pedler Creek through vineyards and farmland. Construction is likely to begin in 2021-22.

 

Rail line history 

As in other thriving rural regions, residents lobbied hard for the all-important rail link to Adelaide. However, the railway branching off at Hallett Cove was not opened until 1915, relatively late in the railway era. It carried wood, fruit, wine, almonds and building materials for just over 50 years until 1969. It also carried passengers until 1957.

The line was dismantled in 1972 but most of the corridor remained in public hands, allowing the later development of this great rail trail.

The rail trail is managed by the cities of Marion and Onkaparinga, both of which are committed to further improving its quality.

 

No services listed for this rail trail.

Advertise your Business Here

Click here for information on advertising your rail trail support business.

Onkaparinga River Bridge Closure and Coast to Vines Rail Trail detour during construction works

Posted: 26/05/21

The City of Onkaparinga is reconstructing the shared use bridge section of the Coast to ...

More...

Coast to Vines Rail Trail – from sandy beaches to cellar doors

Posted: 20/08/20

Winding along Marino's magnificent coastal cliffs and through to the foothills of the renowned Southern ...

More...

Coast to Vines Rail Trail Detour (SA)

Posted: 25/09/11

Map of detour during Seaford Rail Extension project construction. ...

More...

Temporary changes to the Coast to Vines Rail Trail (SA)

Posted: 22/03/10

Map of Detour between Lynton Terrace and Seaford Road[/...

More...

Map Legend:

  • Rail Trail
  • On Road
  • Possible Rail Trail
  • Other Trail
  • former Railway
  • A trail that blends into the landscape and challenges the rider with rough sections and stony creek crossings
  • Complements MTB trails at the base of Mount Remarkable and surrounding forest areas 
  • Mt Remarkable, Alligator Gorge, Wirrabara Forest and the Southern Flinders Ranges provide an imposing backdrop 
  • Work will begin soon on linking sections of the trail together to create an 88 km rail trail 
  • Creek crossings are great fun!

Attractions

  • Climb Mount Remarkable and walk through narrow Alligator Gorge
  • Ride world-class MTB trails of Mt Remarkable and surrounding forests
  • Ride the Pichi Richi Railway and visit the Flinders Ranges
  • Enjoy the natural setting of Melrose campgrounds

Trail Guide

Overall description

The Southern Flinders Rail Trail consists of four sections that vary in terms of trail surface, scenery and topography:

  • Laura to Gladstone (2.5 km) – open farmland
  • Laura to Stone Hut (7 km) – a good rural cycle path
  • Wirrabara to Stone Hut (3 km) –through hills and pine trees
  • Booleroo Centre to Melrose (17km) – open farmland
  • Melrose to Wilmington (22 km) –follows the base of Mt Remarkable, then crosses open plains and small creeks
  • Future expansion of the trail will link all four sections

Section Guides

Laura to Gladstone (2.5 km)

This section runs parallel to the Main North Rd.

  • Starts on the southern outskirts of Laura at the ‘Welcome to Laura’ sign and runs south for nearly 3 km toward Gladstone
  • Coarse gravel, suitable only for walkers and mountain bikes

 

Laura and Stone Hut (7 km)

Completed in 2011, this section also runs alongside the Main North Rd.

  • A high-class rail trail with a smooth, hard-packed gravel surface suitable for road bikes
  • Begins at the northern ‘Welcome to Laura’ sign
  • A couple of gates adjacent to the Laura Golf Club
  • Finishes about 65 0m before Stone Hut: use the road to get to the bakery at Stone Hut

 

Wirrabara toward Stone Hut (3 km)

This short section of trail was completed in 2011, and is a fair quality gravel surface with a rough creek crossing suitable for hybrid or mountain bikes.

  • Follows the rail alignment south from the silos in Wirrabara
  • Winds through scenic hilly country and shady pine trees

 

Booleroo Centre to Melrose (17km)

This section was completed in September 2021 and is a good quality compacted fine gravel trail that follows the old railway alignment. The trail crosses four creeks as it moves through open farmland toward Mount Remarkable.

  • Vehicles can be left in Booleroo Centre near the historic railway infrastructure display on the Corner of Campbell St and Arthur St. Public toilets and shops are located in Stephens St, further east along Arthur Street.
  • Ride west along Arthur St and take the first right turn into Colin St. Continue to the bend in Colin Street where the entrance to the trail appears.
  • The trail can now be followed to the silos on the outskirts of Melrose. Mt Remarkable is always visible as your destination in the distance.
  • There are several interesting curved stock grates that you will need to ride over along the route – take care as they are narrow.
  • 5km out from Booleroo Centre the trail crosses Perroomba Rd and on the left, a few timber sleepers mark the remains of Perroomba Station, which was the only station between Booleroo Centre and Melrose.
  • As well as crossing a few minor roads, there are four creek crossings
    • Bastion East creek – take care as the embankment has steep sides
    • Bastion West creek – the trail crosses through the creek bed
    • Collins Creek – the trail crosses through the creek bed past the concrete pylons of the original rail bridge
    • Rotten Creek – this is the largest of the creeks and can have a steady flow after heavy rains. The trail crosses through the creek bed.
  • Once past the Melrose silos the trail follows Girdham Rd to Horrocks Hwy where the trail crosses into the Melrose Showgrounds and then continues on the right to Wilmington. Turning left within the showgrounds will take you into the township of Melrose (2km). Paradise Square on the left in the centre of Melrose is a convenient location to rest.

 

Melrose to Wilmington (22 km)

This section was completed in 2011 and is generally a good quality trail that follows the old railway alignment where possible. The trail surface is compacted fine gravel with some sections of coarse gravel and creek crossings. It features stunning views of Mt Remarkable to the west, and views of the Flinders Range to the east. The trail commences from Melrose however cyclists riding from Booleroo Centre can join the trail from the Showground entrance.

 

Note that the trail is best travelled between autumn and spring, and can be very hot in summer. Regardless of the time of year, take adequate water and food supplies and be aware that travel times can be slow due to creek crossings and wind. Wilmington cannot be relied on for food and water, but toilets are available.

  • Begin from the corner of Joes Rd and Horrocks Highway, opposite the ‘Over the Edge’ cycle hire shop. Follow Horrocks Hwy 700 m north to Dorrington Rd; use the footpath if the road is busy
  • At Dorrington Rd the trail enters private property through a gate on the corner. It is a privilege to use this private land; please leave as you found it. This section includes a ford across Willochra Creek and meanders through large eucalypts on its way to another gate at the entrance to Melrose Showground
  • Follow the path around the Showground buildings and the old railway alignment to the gate at the northern end. The Showground is also a camping area; respect the privacy of those using the grounds
  • The trail continues on the old rail alignment through open fields with Mt Remarkable behind you and the Southern Flinders Ranges to the left. The Flinders Ranges are in the distance to your right. The entrance to Willowie Forest Mountain Bike network is on the left
  • Along this section you cross Goyder’s Line, a surveyed line that separates good cropping land from marginal cropping land (low rainfall). Surveyor George Goyder prepared the line (which can only be found on plans.) in 1865 by observing native plants while travelling 3200 km on horseback across SA. It has stood the test of time: you will notice the vegetation change as you ride north along the trail, particularly in open areas
  • About 7 km from the Showground the trail crosses Horrocks Hwy and continues through open country with sweeping views of the plains to the northeast
  • After crossing Spring Creek, you will see an old chimney on the right, all that remains of the township and railway siding of Terka. The town was surveyed in 1924, but people showed no interest and the town failed to develop. The siding has also completely disappeared – a reminder of how difficult life in the Southern Flinders Ranges was in the early years of last century.
  • A short distance from Wilmington is the last creek crossing. Stony Creek lives up to its name; dismount and walk across the stony creek bed. It’s an enjoyable walk that gives you time to take in the scenery
  • At the end of the trail turn left into Gogler Rd, which veers to the right. Continue past the silos to Tuckwell St, a wide and substantial sealed road. Proceed up a slight rise past the primary school to the main road and the Wilmington Hotel. The hotel or shop/café may be open; if not, head down the street to the corner of Dignan St, where there is a small shopfront with self-serve machines for snacks and drinks. Public toilets are on the opposite side of the road, next to the fire station. Street signs are difficult to find; use features such as the silos, school, hotel and fire station
  • Mobile phone coverage is limited

Background Information

Traditional owners

We acknowledge the Nukunu people, the traditional custodians of the land and waterways on which the trail is built.

 

Rail line history 

A narrow gauge railway once joined Gladstone, Laura, Stone Hut, Wirrabara, Yandiah, Booleroo Centre, Perroomba, Melrose, Terka and Wilmington. It started in Gladstone in June 1884 to serve the rapidly developing wheat growing region and was opened to Wilmington by 1915. The last train left Wilmington’s wheat silo in July 1988.

 

Gladstone was once a busy and important station with a mixture of narrow and broad gauge lines. It had main lines from Adelaide, Peterborough and Port Pirie, and branch lines to Wilmington and a munitions depot. It had grain silos, sheep and cattle yards, goods sheds, loco sheds, a turntable, and an impressive railway station. Little remains today.

 

Development and future of the rail trail 

In September 2021, Mount Remarkable Council commenced construction of the next section of the rail trail, from Booleroo Centre to Stone Hut.

No services listed for this rail trail.

Advertise your Business Here

Click here for information on advertising your rail trail support business.

Southern Flinders Rail Trail extension to Booleroo Centre officially opened

Posted: 22/09/21

Turning the first sod to start construction of the ...

More...

17 km extension to the Southern Flinders Rail Trail in South Australia commences

Posted: 31/05/21

The existing 22km Southern Flinders Rail Trail rail trail from Wilmington to Melrose is being ...

More...

Southern Flinders Ranges Rail Trail to triple in length

Posted: 16/04/21

The Southern Flinders Ranges Rail Trail in South Australia is to be extended 42km ...

More...

Grant funding for Southern Flinders Ranges Rail Trail (SA)

Posted: 17/05/20

The District Council of Mount Remarkable will match the South Australian Governments Opens Space and ...

More...

Map Legend:

  • Rail Trail
  • On Road
  • Possible Rail Trail
  • Other Trail
  • former Railway
  • The trail passes through several Adelaide Hills towns and beautiful rural scenery.
  • The full length has a sealed surface with easy grades and is ideal for children and novice riders.

Attractions

  • Wine and food experiences
  • Rural scenery
  • National Motor Museum, Birdwood
  • Hahndorf German heritage village
  • Melbas chocolate factory on the trail at Woodside
  • Steamranger depot, Mt Barker, for steam trains  south

Trail Guide

This scenic shared use trail links the towns of Oakbank, Woodside, Charleston and Mt Torrens via the railway corridor, taking advantage of topography and panoramic views.

It is possible to enjoy a ride all the way from Oakbank to Mt Torrens almost entirely on traffic-free dedicated cycle paths. Take advantage of coffee shops, bakeries and restaurants in the larger towns.

There are toilets and picnic facilities at Woodside, Charleston and Mt Torrens.

Section Guides

Oakbank to Woodside (4.5 km)

This first stage of the trail starts at the end of Elizabeth St, Oakbank, where the old railway station once stood.

The first section is on-road on the busy Onkaparinga Valley Road for about 1 km toward Woodside. A safer option is to begin from the parking area on Gillman Road, about 500 m north of the start of the rail trail.

On the left is Oakbank racecourse, home of steeplechasing and jumping in SA, which combines with flat racing over the Easter weekend festival and includes the Great Eastern Steeplechase.

The trail is then a smooth sealed surface that follows the old rail alignment for 3.5 km.

At Woodside the trail crosses Onkaparinga Valley Rd and curves behind the shops. There are cafes and bakeries on Onkaparinga Valley Rd as well as a good bike shop.

Public toilets are in the sporting precinct near the road crossing.

The Woodside BMX/MTB track has been built on the site of the old Woodside station. It is landscaped and maintained by volunteers from the Love Woodside Group. The station’s well, used to supply water to steam trains and stock, has been restored at the northern end of the station precinct. There is ample parking near the BMX/MTB tracks, and picnic facilities and a bike maintenance stand.

The trail is on-road along Station Rd and Langbein Ave.

From the end of Langbein Ave the trail becomes a rail trail again and passes through a picturesque, heavily wooded section of Woodside township. The trail passes Barristers Block Winery on the left before it again crosses Onkaparinga Valley Rd.

Melba’s Chocolates and Woodside Cheesewrights are signposted to the right just north of the road crossing.

Woodside to Charleston (5 km)

There are several road crossings along this section. At Charleston, the trail does a dog-leg to the right along Newmans Rd.

Shaded picnic facilities, including free BBQs and toilets are located off Newmans Rd near the intersection with Onkaparinga Valley Rd. Charleston Hotel does all-day meals on weekends.

Charleston to Mt Torrens (7 km)

This section features scenic farmland and traverses deep, shady cuttings and high embankments. It is a steady climb from Charleston to the road crossing approaching Mt Torrens.

After a downhill run, the trail ends at Oval Rd on the northwest side of Mt Torrens; turn right on to unsealed Oval Rd for access to Mt Torrens township. Mt Torrens has a general store and hotel. Toilets are located at the oval.

Background Information

The Friends of the Adelaide Hills Rail Trail was formed in 2007 to assist the development of the rail trail. Please refer to the link below for their details.

Traditional owners

We acknowledge the Ngadjuri people, the traditional custodians of the land and waterways on which the rail trail is built.

Development and future of the rail trail 

The trail is named in memory of Amy Gillett, a South Australian track cyclist and rower who represented Australia in both sports. She was killed when a driver crashed into the Australian cycling squad with which she was training in Germany in 2005.

The Friends of the Adelaide Hills Rail Trail was formed in 2007 to assist the development of the rail trail. The first stage of the trail from Oakbank to Woodside opened in January 2010. The Woodside to Charleston section was opened in June 2011. Charleston to Mt Torrens was opened in May 2014.

Funding was obtained in Oct 2020 for a 6 km extension from Mt Torrens to Birdwood. RTA believes the rail trail should be extend from Birdwood to the end of the line at Mt Pleasant, which would make the trail 32 km in total.

Rail line history 

The railway line from Balhannah to Mt Pleasant opened in 1918, following some 60 years of meetings and negotiations, and ran as a freight and passenger service. The line had six stations – Oakbank, Woodside, Charleston, Mount Torrens, Birdwood, and Mount Pleasant – and seven halts located near level crossings at Mappinga, Riverview, Kayannie, Muralappie, Milkappa Rd, Crane Rd and Narcoonah. Up to 19 trains would serve the Easter Oakbank Races and most would be parked at Woodside until required for the return trip to Adelaide. Troops were carried to and from Woodside Army Camp’s Riverview siding.

The line was closed in March 1963, and most of the former corridor between Balhannah and Oakbank has returned to private ownership.

No services listed for this rail trail.

Advertise your Business Here

Click here for information on advertising your rail trail support business.

Amy Gillet Rail Trail – A Koala friendly trail

Posted: 15/03/21

In December 2019 a bushfire spread through the hills and valleys around the Amy Gillett Rail ...

More...

Amy Gillett Rail Trail helps to revive the Adelaide Hills

Posted: 15/03/21

In December 2019 a bushfire spread through the hills and valleys around the Amy Gillett Rail ...

More...

‘Festival of the Hills’ Amy Gillet Bikeway

Posted: 07/02/21

As part of the ‘Festival of the Hills’, the Adelaide Hills Council is pleased to ...

More...

$2.6m secured for Amy Gillett Bikeway Rail Trail in South Australia

Posted: 12/10/20

Adelaide Hills Council has received $2.6 million of Federal funding to complete stage 4 of the popular ...

More...

Extension of Adelaide Hills Amy Gillett Rail Trail in South Australia

Posted: 29/04/20

The Adelaide Hills Council has identified an extension of the Adelaide Hills Amy Gillett Rail ...

More...

Stage 3 of the Adelaide Hills Amy Gillet Rail Trail Opening

Posted: 04/05/14

The 7km Stage 3 section of the rail trail between Charleston and Mt Torrens will be ...

More...

Adelaide Hills Rail Trail Link Open

Posted: 17/06/12

A 500 metre "missing link" behind the Woodside shops linking the Oakbank - Woodside and Woodside ...

More...

Amy Gillett Rail Trail (Stage 1) Official Opening (SA)

Posted: 19/01/10

The official opening for Stage 1 of the Amy Gillett Rail Trail will be taking place ...

More...

Funding for the Adelaide Hills Rail Trail Announced

Posted: 27/01/09

The South Australian state government has announced $1 million in funding to build the first stage ...

More...

Adelaide Hills Rail Trail (SA) Committee Formation Meeting

Posted: 16/11/07

This proposed rail trail has been under consideration for many years now. An incorporated association ...

More...

Map Legend:

  • Rail Trail
  • On Road
  • Possible Rail Trail
  • Other Trail
  • former Railway
  • an enjoyable flat ride from the City of Adelaide to the beachside suburbs
  • well landscaped with significant recreation facilities close to the trail
  • convenient and accessible, with ample parking
  • provides good access to the beachside suburb of Glenelg by connecting with the Mike Turtur Rail Trail
  • well constructed and maintained, and well lit at night for most of its length
  • crosses many streets, but most are quiet and occasional busy streets have controlled crossing points
 

Attractions

  • convenient for access to the Sturt River Linear Park Trail and Mike Turtur Rail Trail
  • recreation facilities, amenities and a cycle repair station on the trail
  • a few remaining pieces of rail infrastructure 
  • popular with walkers and cyclists while providing commuter access to the city 
  • links with Adelaide City Parklands cycle trails (see a link to parklands trail map  below)

Trail Guide

Overall description

The trail is divided into two sections; the first runs through inner metro areas and the second makes the most of a wider tree-lined rail corridor.

Section Guides

Adelaide to South Road (2 km)

  • starts at Mile End Railway Station close to where the Holdfast Bay railway met the existing tracks from Adelaide Railway Station on North Tce
  • runs besides busy James Congdon Dr,  the original alignment of the railway line
  • the path is off-road, elevated and tree-lined 
  • after passing the SA Athletics Stadium on the left, the trail swings to the right and crosses Railway Tce and then James Congdon Dr at the traffic lights. The path continues for a short distance before crossing Sir Donald Bradman Dr at the traffic lights
  • at the next set of traffic lights approaching South Rd, cross James Congdon Dr to the left, then turn right and proceed a short distance on the path to the pedestrian crossing and cross South Rd. The trail veers to the left; and once past the left turn slip lane you are on the Rail Trail

 

South Road to Anzac Highway (6 km)

  • River Torrens Linear Park shared use path – Adelaide CBD
  • follows the old railway line alignment and meanders along the landscaped rail reserve
  • a bike repair station near the corner of Moss Ave and Tennyson St
  • Wiegall Reserve on the left just past the Oval Tce roundabout has amenities and shelter
  • as you approach Marion Rd, look for the remains of Plympton station platform to the right. There is a shelter and a cairn here
  • Cross Marion Rd at the pedestrian crossing and continue southwest along the trail
  • Cross Morphett Rd and pass Immanuel Primary School on your right just before entering Camden Oval in Morphettville
  • follow the trail through the oval to a marked path beside Anzac Hwy. This is the last section of the original railway corridor; the remainder of the rail reserve has been used for housing and roadway
  • Cross Anzac Hwy at the pedestrian crossing, turn right and then sharp left and follow the bike lane along the edge of the Sturt River culvert
  • cross the tram line and turn right on to Mike Turtur Bikeway – railside trail
  • Continue on the shared use path as it follows the tram line to Glenelg. Watch out for the giraffe beside the path
  • The trail ends at Brighton Rd where you can use the pedestrian crossing to continue along Jetty Rd to the beach or if Jetty Rd is too busy, use Augusta St 200 m north

Background Information

Traditional owners

We acknowledge the Kaurna people, the traditional custodians of the land and waterways on which the rail trail is built.

 

Development and future of the rail trail 

The trail has been fully developed, and links with the Adelaide City Parklands at its beginning and the River Sturt Linear Park Trail and Mike Turtur Rail Trail at its end. Council has continued to focus on developing and landscaping the wide railway corridor around the trail.

 

Railway history 

The first railway from Adelaide to Glenelg opened in 1873 by the Adelaide, Glenelg, and Suburban Railway Company and ran from South Tce. Holdfast Bay Railway Company opened a competing line from North Tce to Glenelg (the Westside Bikeway alignment) seven years later. The companies amalgamated a few months later, and operated the railways until 1929 when the SA Government Municipal Tramways Trust took over both lines.

The Government proposed that both lines be converted from steam trains to electric trams and on the day electrification of the South Tce to Glenelg line (Mike Turtur Bikeway) was completed, the North Tce to Glenelg line (Westside Bikeway) closed. Minor works had been completed on the electrification of the North Tce to Glenelg line, but the onset of the Depression put an end to work and to the train line’s future. The South Tce to Glenelg line still operates as a tram line today. The two independent lines operated adjacent to each other, often at a loss, but today the lines support rail trails that join together halfway between Adelaide and Glenelg.

No services listed for this rail trail.

Advertise your Business Here

Click here for information on advertising your rail trail support business.