Map Legend:

  • Rail Trail
  • On Road
  • Possible Rail Trail
  • Other Trail
  • former Railway
  • A rail trial steeped in Colonial and Maritime history
  • The trail connects with the Coast Park, a 28km shared use trail along a continuous sandy beach coast line
  • The trail links with several side trails that explore the Port Dock precinct and the coastal beach area of Semaphore
  • A flat 23.5km ride on quiet roads and paths, adjacent to an existing railway line
  • Suitable for all the family

Attractions

  • Three quality Museums in one street – National Railway Museum, SA Aviation Museum and SA Maritime Museum
  • Port Dock historic precinct
  • Access to the Coast Park and beach facilities
  • Anna Rennie (Inner Harbour) Loop Trail

Trail Guide

The trail is divided into three sections commencing from the Adelaide Parklands and following the existing rail corridor to the Port Dock precinct and then on to the Outer Harbour.  The Outer Harbour Railway Line was constructed in 1856 to transport passengers and freight between Adelaide and the Outer Harbour / Port Dock sea ports.

Section Guides

Adelaide Parklands to Woodville Railway Station (8 km)

The trail commences on the cycle track near the Morphett Street Bridge and follows the River Torrens and the rail line westward past the Torrens Weir and then under the railway line into Bonython Park. Follow the river to the first bridge and cross it and continue to the edge of the Park Lands where the path turns right and crosses the railway line again and follows the line under the roadway. From this point onward the trail is clearly marked and progresses through the new Bowden / Brompton housing development and utilises bridges to cross main roads.

The trail follows the quiet suburban streets adjacent to the railway line through to the Woodville Railway Station. If you need a rest, stop at the MJ McInerney Reserve.

 

Woodville Railway Station to Port Dock Precinct (6 km)

At the Woodville Railway Station continue straight on. There is a path on the opposite side of the railway line that follows the branch line toward the suburb of Grange. This path is still in development but will soon form a rail side trail.

The trail continues on either quiet streets or shared use paths however there are several points where the trail crosses main roads. Fortunately, the crossing points are controlled by traffic lights.

The path passes under Grand Junction Road, winds through suburban streets until it enters the old Port Dock rail yards. At this point you will see the Aviation Museum, then, in Lipson Street, you will pass the Railway Museum and once you cross St Vincent Street you will see the Maritime Museum on the right. All the Museums are excellent for children and can take some time to visit.

Please note that Lipson Street is one way so the return trip uses Timpson Street – please check the Rail Trails Map.

You are now in the Port Dock Precinct and you will come to the Port River at the end of Lipson Street. You may notice some interesting paving along the wharf area which indicates where some of the old railway lines were located. This area had numerous train, tram and trolly bus tracks, along wharfs, down streets and over bridges. There is an interesting shared use 3.5km trail (the Anna Rennie Loop Trail) that circles the Port Dock area. Further details are available in the Side Trails section below.

 

Port Dock Precinct to Outer Harbour (9.5 km)

The trail uses the Birkenhead Bridge to cross the Port River and then crosses Semaphore Road and follows the existing rail line along Mead Street and then weaves its way through suburbia until finally crossing the rail line into Lady Ruthven Drive. The trail crosses Lady Ruthven Drive and then continues on a short distance to a large roundabout. Follow the shared use path to the left until you get to Lady Ruthven Reserve and the Outer Harbour Lookout. This is the end of the rail trail however there is a great option for the return trip by following the Coast Park shared use trail south along the coast to Semaphore and then returning to Port Dock via the Semaphore Rail Trail.

 

Side Routes

Anna Rennie Loop Path – previously known as the Inner Harbour Loop rail trail (3.5km loop)

Please note that the Anna Rennie Loop Trail overlaps the Outer Harbour Rail Trail where it crosses the Port River (Birkenhead Bridge) and follows Jenkins Street and a small section of Semaphore Road.

The Loop trail circles the Port Dock precinct, also known as the New Port which replaced the Old Port dock which was further upstream in the Port River and was basically a mosquito infested, smelly swamp. It was so despised by the colonists that it was called Port Misery. The New Port on the other hand was well constructed on reclaimed land with modern timber wharfs and bridges. The loop circles the Port River and provides cyclists and walkers with convenient and safe path. The trail has many interactive maps that allow the viewer to superimpose historical photographs from a century ago over todays view of the Port. Also of interest, is Hart’s Mill Playground, a convenient place to rest while the kids burn-off some energy. Further details and maps can be found in the Information and Links section below

 

Coast Park Trail

A 28km trail which follows the coast from Outer Harbour to Seacliff, south of Adelaide. Please note that a 5km section of the trail currently follows Military Road from Third Avenue Semaphore Park to the Grange Jetty. This 5km section is expected to be converted into a shared use path along the coast over the next few years. The Coast Park also connects with the Mike Turtur Rail Trail and the River Torrens Linear Park. Further information is available from the TrailsSA – see the link below.

Background Information

Traditional owners

We acknowledge the Kaurna people, the traditional custodians of the land and waterways on which the rail trail is built.

 

Development and future of the rail trail

The Rosewater Loop is a potential Rail trail of 5km in length that would connect the Outer Harbour Rail Trail with the Port River Bikeway via Eastern Parade. The loop was constructed in 1915 to alleviate congestion in the Port Dock rail yards and is no longer in use.

 

Rail line history

The Railway between Adelaide and the Port Dock Railway Station was opened in 1856 and was the second railway in South Australia and is believed to be the first Government owned railway in the British Empire. The rail line was later extended to Outer Harbour when a deeper sea port was required.

The Port Dock area was incredibly busy, bringing immigrants and produce in from abroad and exporting copper and farm produce to the world. All of this movement needed an efficient transport system. Port Road which runs parallel to the existing rail way line has an extraordinary width of more that 60m and is relatively flat and it was proposed by Colonel William Light in 1836 that a canal should be constructed between Adelaide and the Port Dock precinct. The proposal was romantic but did not measure up against the cost effective and efficient new rail technology that was emerging.

The Port Dock area became a maze of small rail lines, mostly privately owned and connected to the Wharf area and smelters. There were horse drawn trams, trains and trolly buses, steam trains and electric trams. Confusion reigned as no one knew who had right of way and no one cared because the private transport operators had to make money to survive. Eventually the port activity declined, the small private transport operators closed down and the State Government railway and bus services were all that remained.

No services listed for this rail trail.

Advertise your Business Here

Click here for information on advertising your rail trail support business.

Map Legend:

  • Rail Trail
  • On Road
  • Possible Rail Trail
  • Other Trail
  • former Railway
The Perth–Fremantle Principal Shared Path (PSP) is a high-quality urban dual use pathway that runs parallel to the Fremantle railway line through Perth’s western suburbs. At 20 km long, the path can be cycled in an hour or walked in approximately four hours.

Attractions

  • Various historical and cultural attractions in and around Perth CBD
  • Café and retail precincts in Subiaco, Claremont, Swanbourne, Cottesloe and North Fremantle
  • Spectacular views over the Indian Ocean
  • The historic harbour city of Fremantle

Section Guides

Yagan Square to Subiaco (3.7 km)

Starting at the Yagan Square digital tower, the path heads west along Wellington St to Perth Arena. Yagan Square and Perth Arena were developed as part of the Perth City Link project, which involved sinking a short section of the Fremantle line, reconnecting the Perth CBD with Northbridge.

After rejoining the railway on the northern side of Perth Arena, the PSP continues west past City West and West Leederville Stations. Approaching Subiaco, the remains of Subiaco Oval (home of Australian Rules Football in WA between 1908 and 2017) can be seen on the left. After crossing beneath Haydn Bunton Drive, the railway enters another tunnel. The PSP continues at surface level through the Market Square parklands before arriving at Subiaco Station at the northern end of Rokeby Rd.

 Subiaco to Claremont (5.8 km)

Leaving Subiaco, the PSP continues on the northern side of Roberts Rd through the Subi Centro redevelopment area. The PSP passes beneath Hay St via an underpass, where it rejoins the railway at Jolimont Park. Heading southwest, the PSP continues along the western side of the railway past Daglish, Shenton Park, Karrakatta and Loch Street Stations. Key points of interest along this section include the Irwin Army Barracks and Karrakatta Cemetery.

The path runs along the southern edge of Claremont Showgrounds, home of the WA Royal Agricultural Society and Perth Royal Show before arriving at Claremont Station – one of the oldest and most historic stations on the Perth rail network. Claremont itself is a major retail area home to many restaurants, cafes, and speciality stores.

Claremont to North Fremantle (7.0 km)

Heading south, the PSP continues on the western side of the railway. Smaller retail precincts can be found along Claremont Crescent (near Swanbourne Station) and Napoleon St (near Cottesloe Station). There is a connecting path to Cottesloe Beach along Forrest St.  Cottesloe Beach is one of the most famous beaches in Perth, and is home to the annual Sculptures by the Sea art exhibition. The section between Mosman Park and North Fremantle stations offers spectacular views over the Indian Ocean.

North Fremantle to Fremantle (2.9 km)

Between North Fremantle Station and the Swan River, the best route is via Pearse St. Users are advised to take care when crossing Tydeman Rd, a busy freight route. On the southern side of Tydeman Rd the path continues behind the Swan Hotel and on to the historic Fremantle Traffic Bridge. The final section between the Swan River and central Fremantle can be undertaken using Beach St (where there is a footpath and on-road bike lanes) or via the shared path on Peter Hughes Dr. Beach St runs past the historic Fremantle Woolstores, whereas Peter Hughes Dr runs past the Fremantle Passenger Terminal and E-Shed Markets.

Background Information

Traditional owners

Rail Trails Australia acknowledges the Whadjuk people of the Noongar Nation, the traditional custodians of the land and waterways on which this pathway is built.

Development and future of the rail trail 

Over the next few years, the PSP will be extended from North Fremantle Station to the Swan River as part of the Swan River Crossings project, which includes replacement of the existing Fremantle Traffic Bridge and duplication of the rail bridge.

Rail line history 

The Fremantle railway line connects Perth with Fremantle. The line opened on 1 March 1881 as the “Eastern Railway” and ran between Fremantle and Guildford via central Perth. In July 1926, the Fremantle Railway Bridge over the Swan River was partly washed away in a flood, with one line restored in 1926 and the second in 1928.

Passenger services on the Fremantle line were suspended in September 1979. The WA Government planned to convert the railway reserve into a busway. The closure of the line was opposed by Friends of the Railway, which submitted a petition of 100,000 signatures and prepared a 98-page report arguing for its retention. The service was reinstated in July 1983 following a change of government. The railway was electrified in 1991. Over the years, two sections of the railway have been ‘sunk’. The Subiaco tunnel opened in 1998 and the Perth City Link tunnel opened in 2014.

No services listed for this rail trail.

Advertise your Business Here

Click here for information on advertising your rail trail support business.

Map Legend:

  • Rail Trail
  • On Road
  • Possible Rail Trail
  • Other Trail
  • former Railway
  • An easy walk through narrow bush trails
  • Shared trailhead with Jarrahdale-Balmoral Rail Trail

Attractions

  • Interpretive signage explains timber industry features such as the log landing and sawpit
  • Many wildflowers in spring

Trail Guide

The trail begins at the 1890s timber tramway off Balmoral Rd just east of Jarrahdale. There is a picnic area and the trail crosses a small bridge and up some steps.

It is suitable for almost all levels of ability; it has a compacted earth surface with some gentle ascents and a few steps.

Background Information

Traditional owners

We acknowledge the Whadjuk people, the traditional custodians of the land and waterways on which the rail trail is built.

No services listed for this rail trail.

Advertise your Business Here

Click here for information on advertising your rail trail support business.

Map Legend:

  • Rail Trail
  • On Road
  • Possible Rail Trail
  • Other Trail
  • former Railway
  • A short trail that runs along the eastern edge of the Margaret River townsite, suitable for hiking and cycling
  • Interesting birdlife and wildflowers
  • Links to other trails including the Ten Mile Brook Trail

Attractions

  • The new Margaret River footbridge
  • Views over countryside

Trail Guide

Also known as the Wannang Biddi, the Darch Road Trail begins at the Ten Mile Brook Trail (Bunitj Biddi) just west of Margaret River Perimeter Rd. Heading south, the trail crosses the river via newly build footbridge then joins the alignment of a historic timber tramway formation before finishing at Andrews Way (formerly known as Rosa Brook Rd)

Background Information

Traditional owners

Rail Trails Australia acknowledges the Wadandi people of the Noongar Nation, the traditional custodians of the land and waterways on which this rail trail is built.

Development and future of the rail trail 

The Shire of Augusta Margaret River plans to build a connecting path linking the southern end of the Darch Trail to the Wadandi Track, enabling trail users to circumnavigate the Margaret River townsite via three rail trails – the Wadandi Track, the Ten Mile Brook Trail and the Darch Trail.

Rail line history

The Darch Trail follows one of the many old timber tramways in the Margaret River area.

No services listed for this rail trail.

Advertise your Business Here

Click here for information on advertising your rail trail support business.

Map Legend:

  • Rail Trail
  • On Road
  • Possible Rail Trail
  • Other Trail
  • former Railway
This short, attractive pathway is a popular off-road cycle route. Views are mainly bush with some rural residential housing. Signage reveals items and locations of historical significance, particularly relating to the mining history of the area, including tragedies such as the deaths of 96 miners and rescuers in a coal mine explosion in 1902. There is also information on cutting of red cedar timber. The pathway ends at the site of the former Nebo Colliery’s Bradford breaker building. 
  • The top section of the pathway is suitable for walkers and mountain bikes only.

Attractions

  • The historic Mount Kembla Village Hotel
  • Soldiers and Miners Memorial Church
  • Relics from the American Creek kerosene works
  • Lookouts, walking tracks and tourist drives of the Illawarra escarpment
  • Many beaches and Lake Illawarra
  • Good cycling options, including railside trails, to Wollongong or Pt Kembla
  • City of Wollongong

Trail Guide

The trail can be accessed from: 

  • A small carpark southeast of 200 Cordeaux Rd
  • Carpark and monument on Stones Rd
  • Kirkwood Place

Background Information

Traditional Owners

We acknowledge the Dharawal people, the traditional custodians of the land and waterways on which the trail is built.

Development and future of the rail trail

The Pathway was completed in stages, with the final Stage 3 to the Bradford breaker site completed in October 2016.

No services listed for this rail trail.

Advertise your Business Here

Click here for information on advertising your rail trail support business.

Map Legend:

  • Rail Trail
  • On Road
  • Possible Rail Trail
  • Other Trail
  • former Railway
The Manjimup to Deanmill Heritage Trail is a short rail trail near Manjimup in WA’s Southwest. The trail gives visitors an insight into the district’s forestry, farming and railway history. Manjimup is known for its undulating land, tall timbers, abundant fresh water and rich soils.

Attractions

  • Tall forest, scenic open farmland
  • The small timber town of Deanmill, which includes a number of historic mill cottages, the Deanmill Workers Club and the Deanmill Football Oval
  • Other attractions in around Manjimup including Fontys Pool, Diamond Tree Lookout and One Tree Bridge

Trail Guide

The Manjimup to Deanmill Heritage Trail is on the alignment of a historic timber tramway that connected the Deanmill sawmill to the main line at Manjimup. Starting in Manjimup near the intersection of Rose St and Lock St, the trail heads west parallel to Ipsen St.

The trail passes through enclosed natural bushland before transitioning to open areas with views over farmland. The first kilometre is asphalt and the remainder is compacted gravel.

At its eastern end, this trail provides a connection to the Manjimup Linear Path. Forming a ‘T’, the two rail trails intersect in the centre of Manjimup just south of Ipsen Street. The Manjimup to Deanmill Heritage Trail also forms part of the 1000 km Munda Biddi MTB trail linking Perth to Albany.

Background Information

Traditional owners

Rail Trails Australia acknowledge the Murrum people of the Noongar Nation, the traditional custodians of the land and waterways on which this rail trail is built.

Development and future of the rail trail 

The Manjimup to Deanmill Heritage Trail was established in the 1990s and upgraded in 2017.

Rail line history 

The Deanmill tramway was built in 1912 to connect the sawmill (which supplied timber sleepers for the Transcontinental Railway) to the main line in Manjimup. The Deanmill settlement was named after the mill’s first manager, Alfred Dean. Following the closure of the tramway in 1966, the reserve has regrown and forms an important green corridor on the western side of Manjimup.

No services listed for this rail trail.

Advertise your Business Here

Click here for information on advertising your rail trail support business.

Map Legend:

  • Rail Trail
  • On Road
  • Possible Rail Trail
  • Other Trail
  • former Railway
The Manjimup Linear Path is a short, high-quality rail trail located in the south west town of Manjimup. Manjimup is known for its undulating land, tall timbers, abundant fresh water and rich soils.

Attractions

  • Manjin Park, which includes a barbecue area and skate park
  • Manjimup Heritage Park, which includes Manjimup Historic Hamlet, State Timber Museum, PowerUp! Electricity Museum and a children’s playground with a 17 m tall slide
  • Other attractions in and around Manjimup including Fontys Pool, Diamond Tree Lookout and One Tree Bridge

Trail Guide

This trail runs from Manjimup Heritage Park near Graphite Road to the southern edge of town at Seven Day Road. The linear path is built on a disused section of the Northcliffe Branch Railway (also known as the Picton to Northcliffe line). The path is paved and suitable for people of all ages and abilities.

The linear path also provides a connection to the nearby Manjimup to Deanmill Heritage Trail. Forming a ‘T’, the two rail trails intersect in the centre of Manjimup just south Ipsen Street.

Background Information

Traditional owners

Rail Trails Australia acknowledge the Murrum people of the Noongar Nation, the traditional custodians of the land and waterways on which this rail trail is built.

Development and future of the rail trail 

Manjimup Linear Path officially opened in 2018 as part of the Manjimup Town Centre Revitalisation project. The Shire of Manjimup 2017-2027 Local Bicycle and Footpath Plan mentions the possibility of extending the trail south to Pemberton or north to Bridgetown.

Rail line history 

Construction of the Picton to Northcliffe railway began in 1887, with the line reaching Manjimup in 1911 and Northcliffe in 1933. The area around Manjimup developed quickly following the establishment of the Group Settlement Scheme in the 1920s. The line ceased operation in the early 2000s. In recent years there have been calls to reopen the line between Picton and Greenbushes to transport lithium ore from the Talison Lithium mine to processing facilities near Bunbury.

No services listed for this rail trail.

Advertise your Business Here

Click here for information on advertising your rail trail support business.

Map Legend:

  • Rail Trail
  • On Road
  • Possible Rail Trail
  • Other Trail
  • former Railway
  • The trail is a pleasant path along the old rail reserve. It has easy grades and is ideal for children and novice riders. 
  • Centenary Gardens features an old rail weighbridge complete with gangers’ trolley, railway signal, BBQ and picnic facilities, playground and toilets.

Attractions

  •   Old station building
  •   Silo art
  •   Rural town scenery
  •   Lavender Federation Walking Trail access
  •   Murray to Clare Lavender Cycling Trail (M2C) access

Trail Guide

The Eudunda Rail Trail features a smooth fine gravel surface of good width. It is South Australia’s shortest rail trail but is a handy off-road link for cyclists, walkers and runners. Two of SA’s long distance trails, the Lavender Federation Walking Trail and the M2C Lavender Cycling Trail, pass along this trail. 

There are coffee shops, bakery and supermarket in the nearby main street, and toilets and picnic facilities at Centenary Gardens.

Section Guides

Worlds End Hwy to Thiele Hwy (0.6km)

The trail starts opposite the Centenary Gardens on Worlds End Hwy and runs through the station yard alongside the old platform. The stone station building is intact but in poor condition. East of the station the trail passes between a large iron elevated tank and a water standpipe. Grain silos opposite the station have been decorated with ‘silo-art’.

Head east across South Tce and continue behind houses until the trail leaves the railway embankment and terminates at a pedestrian crossing on Thiele Hwy.

 

Side Trails

Centenary Gardens

Opposite the trail start point on Worlds End Hwy, a paved footpath leads into Centenary Gardens past a rail weighbridge with a gangers’ trolley on display. Adjacent is a children’s playground and free BBQ facilities with public toilets beyond that. A bronze statue pays tribute to author Colin Thiele who grew up in this area.

 

Lavender Federation Walking Trail

The Lavender Trail extends south to Murray Bridge and northwest to Clare and is well signposted.

 

M2C Lavender Cycling Trail

The M2C Lavender Cycling Trail extends south to Murray Bridge and northwest to Clare using mostly unsealed roads and tracks. It is not signposted but maps and directions can be downloaded.

Background Information

Traditional Owners

We acknowledge the Ngadjuri people, the traditional custodians of the land and waterways on which the rail trail is built.

Development and Future of the Rail Trail 

The trail takes advantage of the old railway reserve to provide an off-road link between the centre of town and the showgrounds/oval area to the east.

There have been proposals to extend the rail trail north to Hampden but there are currently no extensions planned.

Rail Line History 

The first section of the line from Gawler to Kapunda was opened in 1860. It was extended via Eudunda to Morgan in 1878 to provide a more efficient freight and passenger connection between the Murray paddle steamers and both the city of Adelaide and Port Adelaide for ocean transport. 

The Eudunda to Morgan section closed in 1969 and the line removed not long after. The Kapunda to Eudunda section was closed in 1994 and was pulled up the following year.

No services listed for this rail trail.

Advertise your Business Here

Click here for information on advertising your rail trail support business.

Map Legend:

  • Rail Trail
  • On Road
  • Possible Rail Trail
  • Other Trail
  • former Railway
  • Pleasant path along a linear park on the old rail reserve It has easy grades, ideal for children and novice riders
  • Davidson Reserve features a large duck pond, picnic facilities and toilets
  • Historic copper mines nearby

Attractions

  •   Mining history
  •   Rural scenery
  •   Access to Mawson, Heysen and Kidman Trails

Trail Guide

The Kapunda Rail Trail features a smooth hot-mix surface of good width. It is SA’s  second shortest rail trail but is well used by cyclists, walkers and runners, especially before and after school. All three of SA’s major long distance trails, Mawson (cycling), Heysen (hiking) and Kidman (horse riding/multi-use) pass along or cross this trail. 

There are coffee shops, bakery and restaurants in the nearby main street, and toilets and picnic facilities at Davidson Reserve.

Section Guides

Coghill Street to High Street (0.8 km)

The trail starts on the western side of the Davidson Reserve duck pond  on Coghill Street. Some rail remnants are visible adjacent to the path, and the level crossing on Coghill St is intact. An old pumphouse building alongside the trail was used to pump water from the dam for use by steam trains. 

Head north along the linear park, taking care at the two road crossings.

A short diversion to Hill St reveals the Lions Playground Park, complete with an old Rx Class steam locomotive. Adjacent Kapunda swimming pool is nearby in Beck St.

 

Side Trails

Old Station

To the south of the duck pond, an unsealed road leads to the old station, which is quite grand by country standards and has been kept in good condition and used as a B&B in recent years. Much of the rail and yard infrastructure is still in place.

 

Rattler and Riesling Rail Trails

The southern end of the Rattler and Riesling Rail Trails can be reached at Riverton, about 30 km northwest of Kapunda, by road or via the Mawson Trail.

 

Barossa Rail Trail

The Barossa Rail Trail can be reached at Nuriootpa, 22 km southeast of Kapunda, by road or via the Mawson Trail.

Background Information

Traditional Owners

We acknowledge the Kaurna people, the traditional custodians of the land and waterways on which the rail trail is built.

Development and Future of the Rail Trail 

While informal trails have existed within the railway reserve for decades, it is only since the line closure and removal of the tracks that attractive linear path and sealed rail trail has been established.

The Swann Path Kapunda Rail Trail opened in 2015. There are plans to extend the trail south 1.5 km to Bethel Rd and it is hoped the Kapunda Trail will eventually form part of a future Wine Capital Trail which will run from the Clare Valley to McLaren Vale via the Barossa Valley and Adelaide Hills wine regions.

Rail Line History 

Kapunda became the first mining town in South Australia soon after copper was discovered in 1842. Mining began in 1844 and continued until 1879, when world copper prices fell. Although copper was mined for only a brief period, revenue from its sales saved South Australia from bankruptcy.

When the railway opened in 1860, Kapunda became the rural centre for the Mid-North of the State. The first section of the line from Gawler to Kapunda was built to serve the mines and opened in August 1860. It was extended to Morgan in 1878 to provide a more efficient freight and passenger connection between the Murray paddle steamers and both the city of Adelaide and Port Adelaide for ocean transport. 

The Eudunda to Morgan section closed in 1969, and the line was removed not long after. The Kapunda to Eudunda section was closed in 1994, with the deterioration of the River Light bridge at Hansborough cited as a reason for closure. This section was pulled up the following year. The remaining Gawler to Kapunda section was leased by the SA Government to Australian Southern Railroad in 1997 as part of AN’s SA freight asset sale to Genesee and Wyoming. While it theoretically remains open, it has not been used for many years. 

No services listed for this rail trail.

Advertise your Business Here

Click here for information on advertising your rail trail support business.

Map Legend:

  • Rail Trail
  • On Road
  • Possible Rail Trail
  • Other Trail
  • former Railway
  • Scenic ride or walk along the old rail reserve between Renmark and Paringa, avoiding the busy Sturt Highway
  • Easy grades, ideal for children and novice riders 
  • Access points for many MTB trails, water sports and other highlights
  • Watch the lifting span of the historic Paringa Bridge in operation to allow large vessels to pass
  • Side trips to Lock 5 or Murtho or follow the scenic Renmark riverfront path

Attractions

  •   Wine and fruit-growing area
  •   River towns
  •   Historic Paringa Bridge
  •   MTB trail access
  •   Water sports
  •   Irrigation history
  •   Historic paddle steamer

Trail Guide

The Renmark-Paringa Rail Trail features a smooth hot-mix surface of adequate width. It is a popular trail, particularly at holiday times, as it provides safe access to two main caravan parks and both towns. 

The Paringa Bridge lifting span operates daily at 9:30 am and 2:30 pm and is best viewed from Bert Dix Memorial Park. Make sure you are positioned on the side you want to be before the span lifts; it can be a long wait.

  • Coffee shops, bakeries and restaurants in Renmark and Paringa
  • Toilets and picnic facilities at Bert Dix Memorial Park

Section Guides

Nineteenth St to Patey Drive (2.0 km)

The trail starts off Nineteenth St opposite the Renmark Plaza shopping centre. Parking is available on-street or in the shopping centre car park. There is a BMX track, playground, picnic facilities and toilets close to the trail start.

 

The first section to Para St is paved; the remainder is hot mix. After crossing Para St the trail turns left and then parallels Eighteenth St/Sturt Highway. This area was once the railway station and freight yards; now it is a housing estate and Council offices. Just past the Council offices an old railway crane sits alone, the sole remnant of the station precinct.

 

Great care is required crossing the Sturt Highway as this is a major interstate freight route. The trail then passes behind houses on the edge of town with the highway to the right. At 1.8 km a ramp to the left allows access to the riverfront trail. Immediately following are the first two of four railway bridges over swampy waterways. Another ramp just after the second bridge accesses a trail that passes beneath the bridge, leading to Paringa Paddock and its many MTB and walking trails.

 

Patey Drive crosses the trail and is the highway access point for the Renmark Riverfront Caravan Park. Near the caravan park entrance are public toilets, BBQ and picnic facilities, river access and a boat ramp, and a boardwalk across shallow water to a small island for birdwatching. The caravan park café/kiosk is accessible from Patey Dr.

 

Patey Drive to Paringa (1.9 km)

A signposted gravel road 250 m beyond Patey Dr leads to the Paringa Paddock trails. Take care crossing the highway.

 

There are two more railway bridges to cross before the Paringa Bridge comes into view. Approaching the western end of the bridge, cross the entrance road to the Riverbend Caravan Park and the eastbound carriageway of the highway to reach the bridge’s central cycle path. 

 

Paringa Bridge was built in 1927 as a multi-use bridge over the Murray, with vehicles sharing the central passage with the railway. Later, outrigger vehicle decks were added to either side, leaving just the railway in the centre corridor. This is now the cycle path, necessitating crossing the eastbound lane of the highway at both ends of the bridge. The lifting span is close to the Paringa end of the bridge

Leaving the bridge on the eastern side, cross the highway again to reach the remaining trail into Paringa. On the left you will see a museum and also some silo art. The trail finishes on a service road close to the Paringa store and post office. Paringa also has a bakery café, the Black Stump Gallery and a hotel.

 

Side Trails

Renmark Riverfront Trail (3.3 km)

The Renmark Riverfront Trail follows the western bank of the river from the Riverfront Caravan Park. It diverges through a housing estate briefly before returning to the river.

The Visitor Information Centre is opposite the Renmark Hotel. Bike hire is available through the Information Centre, best booked in advance by phone or online. The paddle steamer Industry is moored behind the Information Centre and has regular passenger steaming days.

Continuing north, the trail drops to river level as it passes in front of the Renmark Club before climbing back to street level before the old wharf area. The central shopping area is to the left and has bakeries, cafes and other shops.

The trail continues through shady parks to the main irrigation pumping station.

 

Paringa Paddock MTB Trails

Paringa Paddock is easily reached from the rail trail and has a number of walking and MTB trails. Maps can be obtained online or from the Visitor Information Centre in Renmark. Trails are a mix of single track and unsealed roads. 

 

Lock 5 (1.7 km)

Lock 5 Rd can be reached from the eastern end of Paringa Bridge. Bert Dix Park has BBQs, toilets and picnic facilities. Continue on the lightly trafficked road past moored houseboats. Lock 5 and weir has well kept, shady grounds with a picnic area, BBQs and toilets. The historic barge Bunyip is displayed in the grounds and displays historical information and photographs about the barge and the locks.

 

Old Customs House (31 km)

Leave Paringa on Murtho Rd, uphill initially passing the scenic lookout on the left. Murtho Rd is sealed and lightly trafficked, though it does have a 100km/h speed limit. The terrain is mostly flat and passes irrigated orchards and open farmland. 

Headings Cliffs Lookout 12.5 km from Paringa has great views. It is 1 km off to the left on a sealed road.

Turn left 15 km from Paringa on to Wilkinson Rd to visit Wilkadine-Woolshed Brewery overlooking a bend in the Murray River. It is less than 1 km from Murtho Rd.

Approximately 26.5 km from Paringa, just past the intersection with Millewa Road and cattle grid, the route of the old Chowilla Dam railway crosses Murtho Rd. Little evidence remains of the old line.

Old Customs House was established in the late 1800s to levy excise on goods shipped into SA by Murray River steamers. Today it is a base for houseboats and has a general store, and is the stepping-off point for the Border Cliffs Wetlands Walk.

Background Information

Traditional owners

We acknowledge the Meru people, the traditional custodians of the land and waterways on which the rail trail is built.

Development and future of the rail trail 

The Renmark–Paringa Rail Trail was built following closure and removal of the railway.

There are no plans to extend the trail through to Berri or Barmera at this stage.

Rail line history 

The Barmera line branched east at Tailem Bend from the main Adelaide to Melbourne line. It was opened to Paringa in 1913. World War I delayed construction of the Paringa Bridge and the railway to Renmark did not open until 1927. The line was extended to Barmera in 1928.  

The line closed west of Paringa in 1984 and tracks were removed by 1986.

In the 1960s, a branch line was built which joined the main line southeast of Paringa, near the Wonuarra siding. Built to support construction of the proposed Chowilla Dam, it was 27.3 km long and went northeast to Murtho to the south bank of the Murray. . Construction of the dam was cancelled in 1967; the rail line was removed without ever being used (though there are reports that one test train did run on the line). The route of the line is still visible using Google Earth.

No services listed for this rail trail.

Advertise your Business Here

Click here for information on advertising your rail trail support business.