- Rail Trail
- On Road
- Possible Rail Trail
- Other Trail
- former Railway
- Honours elite junior local cyclist Shamus Liptrot who died in 2011, several years after suffering serious injuries in a cycling accident. Halbury was Shamus’s home town
- An excellent ride for all the family and can be extended to form a longer ride along the Wakefield Plains and Clare Valley
- The history of the bullock and rail trails comes alive in Devil’s Garden adjoining the trail midway between Balaklava and Halbury
- An excellent ride from Leasingham through the range to Halbury then Balaklava
- Dunn’s Bridge 1.5 km from Balaklava is a single span bowstring arch bridge built in 1880 over the Wakefield River.
- Devil’s Garden 7km from Balaklava, east of the Roberts Rd crossing is a small area of eucalypts that has a history of sand hills, bullock teams, corduroy roads and serious flooding. To find out more click here
- Links to the Balaklava to Port Wakefield section of the Copper Rail Trail
- Links to a back roads trail to the Riesling Trail (Leasingham) in the east
The trail is flat and runs through a well vegetated corridor. At Roberts Rd about halfway, take time to visit Devil’s Garden.
Parking is available in Edith Tce, Balaklava, close to shops and amenities and a short distance from the trail at the junction of War Memorial Dr and Railway Tce. The trail begins on the northern side of the rail corridor just north of the intersection of War Memorial Dr and Railway Tce. Follow the path east along the back of Christopher St.
Balaklava to Halbury
The trail crosses Dunn’s Bridge 1.5 km from Balaklava. This metal bowstring arch bridge was built in 1880 and heritage listed in 1995.
A further 3 km along the trail there is a small bridge over a creek. Dismount to cross the bridge; it is narrow with an uneven surface.
Use Roberts Rd 2 km along the trail to reach a roadside cairn that describes the Devil’s Garden, a fine example of mallee box woodland.
The rail trail terminates at Halbury, but a well signed back roads trail can be followed over the range to Leasingham and the Riesling Trail
We acknowledge the Kaurna and Ngadjuri people, the traditional custodians of the land and waterways on which the trail is built.
The line from Balaklava to Blyth opened in 1876 and closed in 1988. The rails and sleepers were removed shortly after, and the rail trail was built in 2012.
There is a memorial to Shamus Liptrot at the junction of the trail and Bridge Rd, 1 km from Balaklava.
The 37 km Copper Trail begins at Port Wakefield follows an unused rail reserve 26 km to Balaklava and a further 11 km to Halbury. From Halbury the Copper Trail follows a signed route on back roads over the range to Leasingham on the Riesling Trail.
Development and future of the Rail Trail
Wakefield Regional Council is planning to extend the trail beyond Halbury, following the unused rail corridor north. Ultimately, the Copper Rail Trail may connect with the Southern Flinders Rail Trail.
Typical path quality and vegetation along the Shamus Liptrot Rail Trail
Start of the Shamus Liptrot Rail Trails
The rail trail crosses the Wakefield River by using Dunns Bridge which was built in 1880
Devil's Garden monument
narrow bridge over a creek, east of Balaklava
No services listed for this rail trail.