Map Legend:

  • Rail Trail
  • On Road
  • Possible Rail Trail
  • Other Trail
  • former Railway
The Ranford Pool Walk Trail is a short rail trail near Boddington in the Peel region. On the alignment of the former Pinjarra–Narrogin line, the trail finishes at Darnmining Pool (also known as Ranford Pool). Boddington has accommodation, cafes, a hotel and a supermarket. The best time to visit is between April and October, when the Hotham River contains water and the surrounding farmland is lush.

Attractions

  • The small town of Boddington
  • Hotham River foreshore
  • Ranford Pool
  • Other connecting trails such as the Tullis Bridge Walk Trail

Trail Guide

Following Hotham River, the trail winds through paperbark thickets and rural paddocks and ends near the site of the former Tannin Extracts Factory in Ranford.

Section Guides

The first part of the walk is fully paved along the old railway alignment; wide enough for bikes, prams and wheelchairs. At River Rd it continues north to the river and pool. Returning west along the riverbank when water levels permit, a separate path reverts to a more natural state and ends as a narrow walking trail only, rejoining the start of the trail closer to town.

Darnmining/Ranford Pool is a deep part of Hotham River that served the tannin factory from the 1930s to the 1960s. The pool is a popular with local children as a swimming hole. The walk trail is signposted and has information signs on the area’s birds and fishes.

Background Information

Traditional owners

Rail Trails Australia acknowledges the Wiilman people of the Noongar Nation, the traditional custodians of the land and waterways on which the trail is built.

 

Development and future of the rail trail 

In 2020 the Peel Alliance (comprising the Mandurah, Murray, Serpentine-Jarrahdale, Waroona and Boddington Councils) released a State funding submission that focused on a variety of infrastructure, jobs and tourism initiatives.  The document identified several rail trail opportunities within a short drive of Perth, including the proposed Hotham Valley Rail Trail, which would involve upgrading/combining the Tullis Bridge and Ranfrod Pool Walk Trails, and extending them west to Dwellingup.

 

Rail line history 

The Pinjarra to Narrogin railway was a 153 km line built between Pinjarra and Narrogin. The line opened in stages between 1910 and 1927 to serve the timber industry as well as rural and fruit-growing industries. Pinjarra and Narrogin are on the South Western and Great Southern main lines, so the Pinjarra to Narrogin line provided an important link with towns and mills such as Dwellingup and Boddington. The closing of many of local timber mills led to a decline in traffic on the line and services were withdrawn until last service ended in 1984. The Hotham Valley Railway operates a heritage railway over 32 km between Pinjarra and Etmilyn, near Dwellingup.

No services listed for this rail trail.

Advertise your Business Here

Click here for information on advertising your rail trail support business.

Map Legend:

  • Rail Trail
  • On Road
  • Possible Rail Trail
  • Other Trail
  • former Railway
  • The Goods Line offers a refuge from the busy Sydney CBD. It is a linear park and green space with public seating, performance areas, lawns, table tennis tables and items of railway heritage, and has won many design awards

Attractions

  • The Goods Line passes the University of Technology (UTS) campus, ABC studios, Ian Thorpe Aquatic Centre, Darling Harbour and the Powerhouse Museum

Trail Guide

Stage 1 of the Goods Line can be reached from Central Railway Station’s Devonshire St pedestrian tunnel in the south, and at various points along its route to the Powerhouse Museum in the north. There are displays and relics along the route that showcase railway heritage, including Ultimo Rd’s heritage railway bridge.

The Line can be ridden, but for such a short length with so many features, a slow stroll is better.

Background Information

Traditional owners

We acknowledge the Gadigal people, the traditional custodians of the land and waterways on which the rail trail is built.

Development and future of the rail trail 

The port facilities at Darling Harbour closed and the precinct was extensively redeveloped in the 1980s. The disused industrial line between Hay St Ultimo and Lilyfield was incorporated into a light rail line that extended through Haymarket to connect to Central Station.

The light rail has been extended to Dulwich Hill and is known as the Sydney Light Rail L1 Dulwich Hill Line. A trip on the light rail and an exploration around some of its stops , especially around John St Square in Pyrmont, where there are some deep stone cuttings, is worthwhile for those interested in railway heritage.

Future developments may include an extension to the disused Regent St railway station, using the rail tunnel beneath Railway Square.

Rail line history 

The Goods Line is a short section of a former industrial railway that connected Sydney Yard and the Sydney-Parramatta railway line to the port of Darling Harbour. The line opened in 1855 and was extended to Dulwich Hill in 1922, providing a way for freight trains to reach Darling Harbour without interfering with passenger trains. Cargoes included wheat and wool. 

No services listed for this rail trail.

Advertise your Business Here

Click here for information on advertising your rail trail support business.

Map Legend:

  • Rail Trail
  • On Road
  • Possible Rail Trail
  • Other Trail
  • former Railway
  • A short, high quality trail of 8km in length that passes through the regional centre of Mount Gambier
  • Links tourist attractions and facilities
  • Commercial centre is 400 m from the trail
  • Flat, with easy street crossing

Attractions

  • Many tourist features, including Umpherston Sinkhole and Cave Garden
  • Old rail yards have been converted into a landscaped civic centre where community events and markets are held regularly
  • The railway station has been restored and is used for community activities
  • The extinct volcanic region of Mt Gambier is less than 2 km south of the trail. The crater region contains Blue Lake, Valley Lake, a playground, walking trails and a caravan park

Trail Guide

The trail runs east-west through the city of Mt Gambier with its focal point being the former rail yards and railway station, which have been transformed into parklands and play areas while retaining much railway memorabilia.

The trail begins at the Blue Lake Sports Park, passes Umpherston Sinkhole and then progresses to the centre of the city and the railway station precinct. 

Background Information

Traditional owners

We acknowledge the Buandig people, the traditional custodians of the land and waterways on which the rail trail is built.

 

Development and future of the rail trail 

The trail has recently been extended to Wandilo Road and in late 2021 a shared use path will be built along Wireless Rd. 

The trail will have solar lighting installed in 2021-22.

 

Railway history

The railway line to Mount Gambier was originally part of South Australian Railways (SAR) narrow gauge network. Opened in stages from 1881, it reached Mt Gambier in 1887 and connected with the broad-gauge Adelaide-Melbourne line at Wolseley. It was also a junction for the line to Millicent and Beachport.

The SAR line to Mt Gambier and Millicent was converted to broad gauge in the 1950s.

Mt Gambier also had a broad-gauge connection with Heywood, Victoria, which opened in 1917. Mt Gambier had two goods yards and a locomotive depot and roundhouse.Passenger services to Adelaide ended in December 1990, and the line officially closed in April 1995. Some of the line was used by the Limestone Coast Railway tourist service, but this ceased operations in June 2006.

When the land was given to the community by the SA Government, the City of Mount Gambier repurposed the site into a public green space.

No services listed for this rail trail.

Advertise your Business Here

Click here for information on advertising your rail trail support business.

Mount Gambier Rail Trail will see the light

Posted: 16/04/21

The Mount Gambier Rail Trail in South Australia is to become an even better ...

More...

Mount Gambier’s rail trail is a blooming success

Posted: 15/03/21

Over the past decade the City of Mount Gambier in South Australia, with assistance from ...

More...

Map Legend:

  • Rail Trail
  • On Road
  • Possible Rail Trail
  • Other Trail
  • former Railway
  • A short trail for all the family that follows the tram line from Adelaide to the coastal beach area of Glenelg
  • The trail moves through suburban Adelaide but avoids most main roads and busy areas. 
  • Main road crossings are controlled by traffic lights
  • Interesting artwork
  • Flat with the exception of street overpasses that are easy to climb
  • Adelaide’s busiest cycle route; as used as a commuter route in mornings and evenings 

Attractions

  • Starts in Adelaide’s parklands and ends on coastal beaches
  • Beachside suburb of Glenelg has a great range of eateries
  • 8 km from Adelaide CBD the trail intersects with the Sturt River Linear Park Trail,  which heads south to for 12 km to link with the Patrick Jonker Veloway
  • At the junction with the Sturt River Linear Park Trail you can travel north over Anzac Highway to join the Westside Rail Trail, which leads back to Adelaide CBD
  • Ends at Glenelg Beach, where it joins the coast park, a 28 km trail along Adelaide’s beach frontage

Trail Guide

Overall description

The trail has two sections and crosses several busy roads, either through controlled crossings or by overpasses. It is an enjoyable ride that links cyclists with several other trails and ultimately with Adelaide’s coastline.

Section Guides

South Terrace (Adelaide Parklands) to South Road Overpass (4km)

  • From South Tce the trail runs between the tram line and Peacock Rd to Greenhill Rd; crossed at traffic lights to the western side of King William Rd
  • Continues on the footpath for a short distance before moving away from the road to following the tram line as a dedicated shared-use path.
  • The trail follows the tramline through to Goodwood Rd which can be crossed at the pedestrian crossing to Railway Tce
  • The 900 m section of the trail from Greenhill Rd to Musgrave St is being upgraded and widened 
  • The trail follows Railway Tce until it turns left and becomes Devon St;   turn right and ride through the tunnel beneath the tram overpass, then turn immediately left and ride a short distance to the end of the street where you turn right and walk your bike to the Railway Station subway beneath the train line to the reserve. Turn left to the tram overpass and veer right, following the path to Ethel St/Norman Tce to the pedestrian crossing on Leah St.
  • The trail is then a well-defined shared use path along the edge of the tram line. After a short distance, the South Rd overpass provides good views of the city

 

South Road Overpass to Brighton Road, Glenelg ( 6km) 

  • About 500 m from the South Rd overpass, cross the tram line at the pedestrian crossing at stop 7 Glandore. Walk your bike and look out for trams
  • The trail continues as a shared-use path to the pedestrian crossing on Marion Rd and the pedestrian crossing at Cross Rd.. Watch out for the ‘bike chain people’ artwork
  • Over the Morphett Rd pedestrian crossing point you will see the Sturt River concrete channel. On the other side of this the path continues along the tram line but there is also a bike path to the right that takes cyclists over the tram line to Anzac Highway and then on to the Westside Rail Trail back to the city. The bike path on the left is the 12 km Sturt River Cycle Path, which extends to the Southern Expressway and the Patrick Jonker Veloway
  • Continue on the shared use path as it follows the tram line to Glenelg. Watch out for the giraffe beside the path!
  • The trail ends at Brighton Rd, where you use the pedestrian crossing to continue along Jetty Rd to the beach or, if Jetty Rd is too busy, Augusta St 200m to the north.

Background Information

Traditional owners

We acknowledge the Kaurna people, the traditional custodians of the land and waterways on which the rail trail is built.

 

Development and future of the rail trail 

The trail is continually being redeveloped and refined. The most recent works involve the reconstruction of a 900 m section of the trail from South Tce (City Parklands edge) southward along the tram line.

Future planned works involve a cycle and pedestrian overpass above Goodwood Railway Station, expected to begin in 2021-22.

 

Railway history 

In August 1873 the Adelaide, Glenelg and Suburban Railway Company opened a line between Adelaide and Glenelg, on the route of the present tramway.

In May 1880, the private company ‘Holdfast Railway Company opened the Holdfast Bay Line from Adelaide Railway Station to Glenelg. The two rail lines ran parallel with each other, separated by a few suburbs. Both lines were soon in financial trouble and merged to form the Glenelg Railway Company on 11 May 1882.

The two lines were now almost viable as they were able to rationalise and share rolling stock.

In December 1899, the ‘Glenelg Railway Company’ was acquired by the South Australian Railways, which continued to operate the Adelaide to Glenelg line as a steam railway until 1929 when the tracks were rebuilt and electrified for tram operation. The Adelaide Railway Station to Glenelg line was removed in 1929.

Growth in the number of buses resulted in a decline in patronage and growing losses for the tram line. By the 1950s Adelaide’s network of trams had disappeared with the exception of the Adelaide to Glenelg line, primarily due to the line being constructed on its own rail reserve, providing faster travelling times and minimal interference with road traffic.

The Adelaide to Glenelg tram is operational today and the Adelaide tram network is beginning to grow again.

 

Naming of the Trail

The Mike Turtur Trail was named after local cyclist Michael Turtur, who competed in the Olympic Games and three Commonwealth Games, winning a total of five medals. He was race director for the Tour Down Under from inception in 1999 to 2020 and in In 2018 Mr Turtur was made an Officer of the Order of Australia (AO) for distinguished service to cycling, particularly through the development and promotion of world-class road cycling events, and to the community of South Australia.

No services listed for this rail trail.

Advertise your Business Here

Click here for information on advertising your rail trail support business.

Mike Turtur Bikeway in South Australia receives a $28m boost to improve safety

Posted: 06/07/21

The State Government has announced that a bridge for cyclists and pedestrians will be constructed ...

More...

Mike Turtur Bikeway Rail Side Trail Upgrade (South Australia)

Posted: 16/10/20

South Australia's Department of Planning, Transport and Infrastructure in partnership with the City of Unley ...

More...

Map Legend:

  • Rail Trail
  • On Road
  • Possible Rail Trail
  • Other Trail
  • former Railway
  • A safe and convenient way to walk and ride in this area of Geelong
  • Some views of the Moorabool River valley from the Fyansford end.

Trail Guide

  •  The trail starts at Douro St, near the North Geelong Station. It is also called the Tom McKean Linear Park.
  • The sealed trail runs through various urban backdrops linking up small parklands.

For awhile the remains of the cement works at Fyansford were of interest to those interested in industrial heritage and the tall silos high on the bluff featured artwork that was visible for kilometres. These were demolished in 2020.

Background Information

The line was conceived by the cement company, who approached the State Government in 1915-16 requesting a rail link to North Geelong. In 1926 the Australian Portland Cement Company opened a private 3’6″ railway  to their quarry. Usage of the line declined by the 1990’s as road haulage took over. The cement plant closed in 2000 and was demolished.

A bike path and linear park was provided beside the tracks in the early 1980s.

No services listed for this rail trail.

Advertise your Business Here

Click here for information on advertising your rail trail support business.

Map Legend:

  • Rail Trail
  • On Road
  • Possible Rail Trail
  • Other Trail
  • former Railway
The Encounter Bikeway is a railside trail as well as a heritage rail trail that runs parallel to the original 1853 corridor. This area is a prominent tourist destination, and the best way to see it all is by bike.
  •  The 31.5 km trail is sealed and is a mixture of relatively quiet ‘on road‘ sections and shared use paths
  • The trail begins in the River Murray Port of Goolwa and passes through seaside towns of Middleton and Port Elliot before arriving at Victor Harbour. All the towns date back to the mid-1800s
  • The section between Goolwa and Victor Harbor follows the alignment of the railway line and occasionally runs along the coast or through wetlands
  • The railway is used today by an tourist train called the Cockle Train, which uses restored steam trains or diesel trains depending on season and demand
  • The perfect family cycling outing, particularly when combined with a return trip home on the Cockle Train

Attractions

  • Goolwa’s wharf area has steamboats, a micro-brewery to a working railway station
  • You will see and hear the Cockle Train on many occasions as you cycle the trail
  • The Murray River mouth can be reached from Hindmarsh Island by bike or car. The barrage across the river Murray can be reached by bike 
  • The Coorong region south of the Murray mouth and can be reached on organised boat tours
  • The trail follows beaches from wild surfing areas to sheltered sandy bays
  • It’s not unusual to spot whales just off the coast 
  • The railway terminates at Victor Harbour, but a horse-drawn tram carries tourists to Granite Island for a 2 km walk around the island
  • Goolwa, Middleton, Port Elliot and Victor Harbor each claim to have the best bakery in South Australia!

Trail Guide

Overall description

The rail trail has two sections that link the four townships along the railway line. Two trails either end of the railside trail have been included because they provide great views of the Murray River and Rosetta Head.

Section Guides

Laffin Point to Goolwa Wharf (3.5 km)

(Laffin point is the start of the Encounter Bikeway)

  • A pleasant shared use path along the Murray River within the reserve next to Liverpool Rd
  • Crosses the 1914train line  that runs from Goolwa to Strathalbyn. This line is used by Steam Ranger tourist trains
  • Passes beneath the bridge to Hindmarsh Island before arriving at Goolwa Wharf

Goolwa Wharf to Port Elliot (15 km)

(Goolwa Wharf is the start of the Encounter Rail Trail)

  • The train line originally approached the wharf by reversing along Cutting Rd to be at right angles to the wharf. This was later changed so the train was parallel to the wharf and did not have to run through the centre of Goolwa. The train heads inland then west to Middleton, but the bike trail takes a scenic route along the coast to reconnect with the train line just east of Middleton
  • The wharf area was once a hive of activity moving produce from river barge to train; now it is just as busy in holiday season with tourists visiting the area’s many activities, including the Cockle Train, a working steamboat, Coorong cruise boats, art gallery, brewery and distillery, coffee shops, cafes and markets and. Enter the wharf area from beneath the Hindmarsh Bridge, turn right into Cutting Rd, cross the rail line and then turn left into Dunbar Rd
  • As Dunbar Rd passes the railway station and moves away from the river, there is an entrance to the next section of off-road trail. This short rubble section of the trail follows the train line, then crosses the line and continues along the quiet roads of Admiral Tce and Riverside Drive on the Murray River. From Barrage Rd the trail is a shared use path that passes a café, playground and bird hide.
  • From Bristow-Smith Ave the trail uses the back streets of Goolwa and a section of shared use path through a wetland to an off-road section at the end of Redclift St. This  leads along a timber deck over the usually dry wetland within Tokuremoar Reserve, which contains some of the last and least disturbed indigenous cultural heritage sites and foreshore dune habitat of its type on the Fleurieu Peninsula
  • The trail then climbs to Surfers Pde, which offers great views of the Goolwa and Middleton surf beaches
  • The trail deviates inland toward Middleton township to cross Middleton Creek via a footbridge, then moves back to the coast at Middleton Point. When the surf is up this area is always busy 
  • The trail runs through the seaside Rantalang Basham Beach Conservation Park as it heads to Port Elliot. It’s worth taking the time to look at the restored farm buildings and artwork in this reserve
  • The Cockle Train line edges closer to the trail as you move through the reserve. As you climb to Port Elliot you will see Port Elliot Rd on the right, where the 1936 Australian Grand Prix was run between Victor Harbor and Port Elliot. 70,000 people watched Les Murphy win the race in an MG Sports car at a top speed of 110 km (68.5 miles) per hour.

Port Elliott to Victor Harbor (7.5 km)

  • Approaching Port Elliot the scenery changes from sprawling, sandy surf beaches to smaller surf beaches broken up by large areas of granite. The trail enters Port Elliot along Scrymgour Rd and then Basham Pde. Pause at the junction of Basham Pde and The Cutting to take in the scenery and history of Horseshoe Bay
  • The cutting is the alignment of the original rail line, which ran down to the small jetty on the west side of the bay. Horseshoe Bay is very scenic with its rolling surf, cafes, islands and walking trails, but it proved extremely dangerous for shipping due to its shallow depth, rocky outcrops and exposure to high winds and waves. After the loss of many ships the SA Government extended the rail line to the safer harbour a few km away in Victor Harbor
  • Enjoy the Harbour Master’s Walk around Freeman’s Knob, the shops of the Strand and the Elliot Railway Station 
  • The trail climbs up Strangways Tce along Murray Pl and then into Barbara St, where it crosses the railway line. In many places the railway line and trail are next to each other, providing opportunities for photographs of the train with the coast in the background
  • Further down the coast, the trail diverts around Urimbirra Creek at Watsons Gap, but the train crosses the creek on a reinforced concrete arch bridge built in 1907 to replace the 1863 timber and steel bridge.
  • The trail (shared use and on local roads) follows the railway line to the Hindmarsh River Bridge, then crosses the railway line and uses Bridge Tce and a foreshore shared use path to reach Victor Harbor
  • Along Bridge Tce is the Victor Harbor Yacht Club car park: enter this to reach a shared use foreshore path that can be safely followed to Warland Reserve. When you see the Anchorage Hotel on the corner of Coral St and Flinders Pde, travel a short distance along Coral St and you will see a railway road crossing controlled by wooden gates. Victor Harbor Railway Station is immediately south of the gates.
  • Return to the foreshore path and travel to Warland Reserve and the 630 m long causeway, built from 1864 to 1875, that leads to Granite Island. The Goolwa to Victor Harbor train ran along this causeway to the screw pile jetty on the eastern side of Granite Island where freight was loaded on to ships. Horse-drawn trams now ferry tourists to the island, but the causeway is in poor condition and is to be rebuilt, with only small sections of the start and finish of the original timber causeway to be retained

Victor Harbor to Rosetta Head (the Bluff) (5.5 km)

(the end of the Encounter Bikeway)

  • The trail officially ends in Victor Harbor, but the Encounter Bikeway continues to Rosetta Head (the Bluff). This pleasant trail hugs the coastline and offers a scenic ride to a car park from which you can walk to the summit

Car parking

As this is a tourist region, convenient parking for cyclists’ vehicles can be an issue. 

Goolwa –at the Goolwa Wharf at the end of Cutting Rd, or along Liverpool Rd to the north of Goolwa Wharf and close to the Murray River

Middleton –along Surfers Pde and the Esplanade

Port Elliot –on the foreshore off The Cutting, but the area is often busy so the best options can usually be found along Scrymgour Rd, Basham Pde or Strangways Tce

Victor Harbor –often busy near the town centre, but on-street parks can usually be found on Bridge Tce, Flinders Pde and The Esplanade

Please note that references to streets called ‘Cutting Road’ and ‘The Cutting’ indicate that these carriageways were once excavated to become cuttings for the old rail line.

 Side trails

Goolwa Barrage ( 4km return)

  • Follow Barrage Rd south from the trail (continue following Barrage Road past the Bristow Smith Ave corner and along river for 2 km. The barrage was built in 1935 to stop salt water from the Murray mouth extending up into the river and fouling the water supply. You can walk along the concrete barrage out into the Murray and watch boats moving through the lock, seals and pelicans hunt the plentiful supply of fish.

Watson’s Gap path (7 km return)

  • The trail winds around Watson’s Gap Bridge and across Urimbirra Creek. A shared use path on the land side of the trail follows the creek into the land subdivision.

Background Information

Traditional owners

We acknowledge the Ramindjeri and Ngarrindjeri people, the traditional custodians of the lands and waterways on which the rail trail is built.

Rail history

The first Europeans to sight Victor Harbor more than 200 years ago were Captain Matthew Flinders of the British sloop Investigator and Captain Nicolas Baudin of the French ship Le Geographe. They met at sea in 1802, a few miles from the Murray mouth. Although their countries were at war, each captain was given documents by the other nation’s government stating that the ships were on scientific missions, and were therefore not to be regarded as ships of war. Together, the ships returned to the bay and sheltered while their captains compared notes. Flinders named the bay Encounter Bay after the meeting. The region’s place names are a mixture of Aboriginal, English and French.

The railway line was built in 1853 and is South Australia’s first railway and Australia’s first full scale public railway. Produce was shipped by paddle steamer and barge down the Murray and its tributaries from as far north as Queensland and was moved by horse-drawn train to the ports of Port Elliot and Victor Harbor for shipping around the world.

Initial attempts to ship produce from Goolwa to the open sea via the Murray mouth were generally unsuccessful so the SA Government built a train line to the safe port of Port Elliot. Unfortunately, there were numerous shipwrecks near the Port Elliot harbour so the line was extended to Victor Harbor in 1864. The horse-drawn train was replaced with a steam train in 1884.

By the 1890s rail lines to regional rural areas in SA and Victoria had reduced the need to use the Murray to transport produce and the Goolwa to Victor Harbor line became a passenger and tourist train.

Development and future of the rail trail

The proposed Murray Coorong Trail will follow the path of the Murray 450 km from Cadell (near Morgan) to Salt Creek (the Coorong). The three Council areas involved have begun construction of sections of the trail and will undertake further works with the help of the State Government using council reserves, levee banks, State parks and reserves and Crown land. It would be appropriate to construct a path from the Murray Coorong Trail at Wellington on the Murray to the Encounter Trail and then to the Murray River Mouth via Hindmarsh Island.  

Naming of Victor Harbor

Victor Harbor: Despite harbour normally being spelt with a ‘u’ in Australian English, the name of the city is spelt Victor Harbor. This spelling is found in several geographical names in South Australia, including Outer Harbor. The township of Victor Harbor was proclaimed in 1914 with the spelling Harbor,  The harbour was proclaimed on 27 May 1915 under the Harbors Act 1913 and its name was established on 15 June 1921 as Victor Harbor. According to the State Library of South Australia, the absence of the ‘u’ is not influenced by American spelling, but archaic English spelling. Of course, this spelling is not consistently applied.

 

No services listed for this rail trail.

Advertise your Business Here

Click here for information on advertising your rail trail support business.

Map Legend:

  • Rail Trail
  • On Road
  • Possible Rail Trail
  • Other Trail
  • former Railway
  • A high standard rail trail in the major population centre of Ipswich
  • Great history connections with the first rail line in Queensland, a coke mine, the Rail Workshop Museum and the Smith Street bike route to Ipswich.

Attractions

  • Ipswich is a major regional city in Queensland, with easy access from Brisbane by train and many tourist experiences on offer
  • This trail is one of a number of rail trails in the south-eastern part of Queensland
  • Wulkuraka is also the south-eastern starting point for the Brisbane Valley Rail Trail

Trail Guide

  • The trail starts at Vogel Road and heads north east towards the Brassall shopping centre (Workshops Street) then travels behind the shopping centre, then crosses Haig street.
  • Mihi Junction is reached  soon after crossing Haig St.  There are picnic tables, which are under cover.
  • Soon after the rest area, an 80m steel bridge spans Mihi Creek.  This section of the trail is in bushland.
  • After a short distance, you will come to the next rest stop (Klondyke Junction.) Here you will see the remains of the old coke mine that supplied the Queensland Railways.
  • The current end of this trail is at W.M Hughes Street, North Ipswich at the Rail Workshop Museum.

This trail has lighting and 24 hr camera surveillance and a 3.5m wide concrete surface.

Background Information

Traditional Owners

We acknowledge the Yuggera people, the traditional custodians of the land and waterways on which the rail trail is situated.

Railway History

This is on the route of the first rail line in Queensland, from Ipswich to Wulkuraka on the west of Ipswich, which closed in 1868.

This came before the rail line from Ipswich to Brisbane in 1875.  Ipswich was a prime candidate for becoming the capital of Queensland, but lost out to Brisbane in 1859. This is why the direction of the first rail line is this way.

The trail was built in 2008 and opened in 2009, with  a proposed extension in the future further along the line which hugs the Bremer River towards the centre of Ipswich.

No services listed for this rail trail.

Advertise your Business Here

Click here for information on advertising your rail trail support business.

Wulkuraka to Brassall opens ( Brisbane Valley Rail Trail)

Posted: 06/09/16

The next stage of the Brisbane Valley Rail Trail opened on August 20 2016 in Ipswich This ...

More...

Work is progressing well on the Wulkuraka to Brassall section of the Brisbane Valley Rail Trail

Posted: 30/04/16

Contruction on the Link from the Brassall Rail Trail to the Brisbane Valley Rail Trail (...

More...

Brassall Trail Extensions opened

Posted: 15/07/13

Stage two of the Brassall Rail Trail has opened toward Wulkuraka Railway Station. This section ...

More...

Map Legend:

  • Rail Trail
  • On Road
  • Possible Rail Trail
  • Other Trail
  • former Railway
  • Rural and vineyard scenery
  • Tanunda to Angaston is flat, ideal for children and novice riders 
  • German heritage

Attractions

  •   Wine and food experiences
  •   Barossa towns
  •   Barossa Adventure Station recreation area- Angaston 

 

Trail Guide

This scenic shared use trail (walking and cycling) is located in the heart of the Barossa Valley and links the major towns of Gawler, Tanunda, Nuriootpa and Angaston via the railway corridor, taking advantage of topography and panoramic views.

Although much of the Gawler to Tanunda section is not strictly a rail trail, it gives cyclists and tourists the opportunity to extend their ride or walk and explore more parts of the Barossa by bike. It is possible to ride from Gawler to Angaston mainly on traffic-free dedicated cycle paths. Care must be taken on the short on-road sections through Gawler and Tanunda and at all road crossings. Take advantage of the many coffee shops, bakeries and restaurants in all the Barossa towns.

At the terminus of the trail in the Angaston rail yards, The Barossa Council has created a unique recreation area called the Barossa Adventure Station that features a 1 km mountain bike trail, a zipline, accessible trampolines, tower and slide, skate ramps, boulder walling, half-court basketball, sensory sound forest and picnic facilities. Barossa Adventure Station will cater for all the family and is located metres from the main street of Angaston.

There are mountain bike trails at Moculta and Pewsey Vale.

Toilets and picnic facilities are at Lyndoch, Tanunda, Nuriootpa and Angaston.

Barossa Cycle Hub at the Tanunda Visitor Information Centre (68 Murray St) includes bike hire, showers, public toilets, cycle storage and lock-up, bike maintenance stand, tools and some spare parts.

Gawler Cycle Hub at the Gawler Visitor Information Centre (2 Lyndoch Rd) includes bike hire, showers, public toilets, cycle storage and lock-up, bike maintenance stand, drinking fountain, picnic tables and shelter.

There are plenty of places to eat and stay in the region, including caravan parks in Tanunda and Nuriootpa.

Section Guides

Gawler to Lyndoch (14 km)

This section was completed in 2014 and features a high quality hot mix surface.

From Gawler Central Railway Station, travel via Murray St and Lyndoch Rd, then turn right at the Lyndoch Rd level crossing into Sunnydale Ave and left into Calton Rd. This route is uphill initially, then undulates to the start of the Barossa Rail Trail at Kalbeeba. A safer route avoiding Lyndoch Rd starts beside the Council administration building carpark in High St. Signage and road markings are only partially complete; pick up a route map at the Cycle Hub Information Centre.

From Gawler Railway Station, travel via Twelfth and Eighth Sts, across the pedestrian bridge to Walker Place, then cross the main street to Calton Rd. The first kilometre of Calton Rd is uphill, steep at first, then undulating for another 3 km to the start of the Barossa Rail Trail at Kalbeeba.

Gawler station has an F Class steam locomotive on display at its northern end.

The Barossa Rail Trail follows the unused railway line from Kalbeeba to Sandy Creek, then follows the Barossa Valley Way and railway to Lyndoch. There are no steep or dangerous sections, but take care at road crossings.

The trail passes mostly cropping and grazing farmland, then vineyards and wineries closer to Lyndoch.

At Lyndoch Hill the trail passes through the hotel grounds and rose garden.

Picnic facilities, water station and toilets are located opposite Lyndoch Bakery.

Lyndoch to Rowland Flat (5.6 km)

This section is a good quality sealed cycle path that follows Barossa Valley Way and then the unused railway line to Rowland Flat. 

The section that follows the railway line has a couple of short, steep climbs.

The trail passes vineyards and wineries.

This part of the line suffered a number of derailments over the years. An information board near Rowland Flat details the events.

Rowland Flat to Tanunda (9.4 km)

This section is not a rail trail but a good quality sealed cycle path that follows the North Para River and then Barossa Valley Way to Tanunda.

The section that follows the North Para River has several short, steep climbs and awkward sharp switchback bends, and two stock grids.

There are some hazardous sections on this trail, so all cyclists should exercise caution.

The trail passes through the grounds of Jacobs Creek Visitor Centre.

The trail finishes at the start of the main street in Tanunda; this can be busy, so exercise caution.

Cycle Hub at Barossa Visitor Information Centre in Tanunda (68 Murray St) includes bike hire, showers, public toilets, cycle storage and lock-up, bike maintenance stands, tools and some spare parts.

Tanunda Railway Station (300m east of the Cycle Hub) is in a reasonable state of repair and was in use by community groups until recently.

There are many accommodation, food and beverage options in Tanunda.

 

Tanunda to Nuriootpa (6 km)

This section is mostly a railside trail. From the Cycle Hub it is an on-road journey through Tanunda on Murray St with good on-road cycle lanes for most of the distance; alternatively the quieter and more scenic Bilyara, Langmeil and Para Roads can be used. The 3.5 km railside trail starts at Kroemers Crossing Roundabout at the intersection of Murray St and Burings Rd, and is a good sealed cycle path. 

This section features a long (around 3 km) avenue of red roses between the unused railway line and cycle path, passing vineyards and wineries. There are large, shady trees between the path and main road.

Exercise care at roundabout road crossings at Kroemers Crossing (Burings Rd) and Dorrien (Seppeltsfield Rd). The remains of Dorrien Siding are visible south of Seppeltsfield Rd.

Hot air balloons can often be seen in the morning, usually during the first hour of daylight .

The historic Penfolds building at Nuriootpa has been repurposed to provide food and beverage options.

Where the railway crosses the Barossa Valley Way at Nuriootpa, turn right into South Terrace then left into The Crescent to continue to Angaston.

 

Side Trail – Nuriootpa Linear Park Shared Use Path (2 km not included in the Barossa Rail Trail)

At the point where the railway crosses the Barossa Valley Way at Nuriootpa, continue straight ahead to Nuriootpa centre. 

About 200 m north of this crossing is Tolley Reserve, with an RX steam locomotive on display as well as toilets, picnic facilities, playground, skate park and MTB/BMX track.

A riverside linear path runs from Tolley Reserve beneath the Murray St road bridge and then on to Nuriootpa caravan park.

There are many accommodation, food and beverage options in Nuriootpa.

Nuriootpa to Angaston (7 km)

This high quality rail trail follows the old rail easement and has a smooth hot mix surface. At Nuriootpa turn into South Tce then left into The Crescent to reach the Nuriootpa – Angaston rail trail. 

No buildings remain at Nuriootpa station but platforms, railway lines and water tower are still in place.

Nuriootpa had a turning triangle rather than a turntable for reversing engines. The triangle is still in place, often hidden by long grass, and the cycle path crosses it twice.

Railway Tce, on the opposite side of Nuriootpa station, formed one straight of a rectangular racing circuit used for the 1950 Australian Grand Prix. Murray St was another straight, right through the middle of the shopping precinct.

This section passes vineyards and wineries, and features high embankments and deep, shady cuttings at the Angaston end.

The trail has been enhanced with high quality metal sculptures, information and map boards and seating at regular intervals.

Early morning wildlife encounters (birds, kangaroos, rabbits etc) are not uncommon on this section.

Road crossings have been paved to resemble rails and sleepers; exercise caution at all road crossings.

On Saturday mornings, Barossa Farmers’ Market can be reached from the Light Pass/Diagonal Rd crossing or the Stockwell Rd crossing. 

Angaston Station site has been reinvented as a multi-purpose recreation area known as the Barossa Adventure Station. 

A 1km MTB track overlooks the old railway yard.

Barossa Valley Machinery Preservation Society has a large shed in the grounds of Angaston Station. Restored/under restoration vehicles, engines and machinery are occasionally on display.

At Angaston the trail terminates in Washington St. Turn left then left again into Sturt St to reach Murray Street shops and cafes.

Angaston has a working blacksmith’s shop, open on weekends and public holidays, in the main street.

There are many accommodation, food and beverage options in Angaston.

Background Information

Traditional owners

We acknowledge the Kaurna and Ngadjuri people, the traditional custodians of the land and waterways on which the rail trail is built.

Development and future of the rail trail 

In 2010, the track between Nuriootpa and Angaston was removed and the rail trail built.

As the railway is still technically ‘operational’ from Gawler to Nuriootpa, this section of the trail has been built beside it or following the creek; however, the line has now been removed at the Kroemers Crossing roundabout near Tanunda so is unlikely to be used again without significant restoration works.

Rail line history 

The Gawler to Angaston line was officially opened in 1911. Railway authorities commissioned a special school train that carried 1258 children for the opening.

In 1917 the line was extended northeast to Truro and later a further branch was added to Penrice Quarry about 6 km from Nuriootpa.

Regular commuter passenger services were withdrawn in 1968 and no passenger services have used the line since 2003, when the Barossa Wine Train was withdrawn.

‘Stonie’ trains used the line to ferry soda products from Penrice quarry to Osborne until 2013.

 

No services listed for this rail trail.

Advertise your Business Here

Click here for information on advertising your rail trail support business.

Barossa Cycle Hub re-opened

Posted: 30/01/21

The Barossa Cycle Hub in Tanunda (South Australia) re-opened this week after an extended closure ...

More...

Barossa Rail Trail Improvements

Posted: 24/09/20

A dangerous intersection at Kroemer's Crossing, at the Tanunda end of the Barossa Rail Trail&...

More...

Barossa Adventure Station enhances the Barossa Rail Trail Experience

Posted: 03/07/20

The $2.5m Barossa Adventure Station was officially opened on 4 July 2020. The Barossa Council and the ...

More...

The Barossa Trail Extension (SA)

Posted: 08/10/12

The new section of Barossa Trail will be 27km in total, and will be known ...

More...

Map Legend:

  • Rail Trail
  • On Road
  • Possible Rail Trail
  • Other Trail
  • former Railway
  • A short but exciting trail next to the disused Dubbo to Molong railway line
  • Views of an old railway trestle viaduct and a huge concrete and steel railway bridge
  • Ride across Macquarie River, with river red gums and abundant birdlife. Close to Western Plains Zoo and historic Dundullimal Homestead
  • Fully sealed and family friendly, suitable for all kinds of bicycles, scooters, mobility scooters and prams
  • Interpretive signs explain the history of the rail line and the region
 

Attractions

Great news!  This trail has now been completely sealed along the entire length

  • Western Plains Zoo
  • Restored Historic Dundullimal Homestead
  • Ride the entire Tracker Riley Cyclepath alongside the river
  • Stop at the zoo or Dundullimal for a refreshing coffee and cake
  • Check out Dubbo’s other railway bridge on the north side of town as you ride beneath it
  • Several vineyard cellar doors nearby

 

Trail Guide

Access Points

  • Macquarie St and Margaret Cres junction
  • Dundullimal Homestead
  • Western Plains Zoo
  • Margaret Cres and High St

Section Guides

Western Plains Zoo to Dundullimal (3 km)

The sealed path follows the Obley Road south from the Zoo. There is a short uphill stretch after crossing a small bridge, then at Dundullimal you can go the right to Dundullimal or straight ahead to the river.

Dundullimal to Macquarie St (1.5 km)

Leaving Dundullimal, rejoin the cycle path and head northeast toward the river. Follow the path across the river and alongside the old rail line to Macquarie St.

Macquarie St to High St (2 km)

Follow the sealed path next to the railway line up to High Street.  This path runs parallel to Margaret Cres, and crosses Boundary Road about halfway.

Background Information

Traditional Owners

We acknowledge the Wiradjuri people, the traditional custodians of the land and waterways on which the rail trail is built.

Rail Trail development 

This trail is only a short section of a proposed rail trail between Dubbo and Molong that is not yet constructed or open.

Railway history

The Molong-Dubbo line branched off the Broken Hill railway line at Molong before rejoining it at Dubbo. The line is scenic and has several steel bridges and significant engineering works. New South Wales Government Railways intended it to become the main line to Dubbo: the line was approved in 1916, but World War I saw construction delayed until 1920. It opened in 1925 with expectations of high traffic but never reached its full potential.

Passenger services were operated by rail motors from 1932 and 1974. The rail motor was withdrawn in 1974 along with many other branch services during a nationwide fuel crisis. The line saw considerable local grain haulage, but the general freight downturn in the 1980s, the opening of the Ulan line, and a transfer of some grain haulage to road transport by the State Rail Authority saw the line truncated north of Yeoval in 1987, with the remainder closed in 1993.

No services listed for this rail trail.

Advertise your Business Here

Click here for information on advertising your rail trail support business.

Dubbo Tracker Riley Cyclepath extension

Posted: 25/06/12

The opening ceremony was held at Dundullimal homestead due to wet weather on the day.  ...

More...

Map Legend:

  • Rail Trail
  • On Road
  • Possible Rail Trail
  • Other Trail
  • former Railway
Experience the tall timber country in the mountains of Noojee. Only 127km scenic drive from Melbourne, offering a feeling of turning back time to the days of sawmills singing and steam trains puffing their freight over huge trestle bridges and up the steep grade. This rail trail is short on distance but high on experiencing something different, the heritage listed Noojee Trestle bridge. At an impressive 102m long and 21m heigh this curve bridge is something to be seen. Noojee is hidden in a valley on the Latrobe River with food, beverages and accommodation available.

Attractions

  • The Noojee Heritage Centre – J 550 Steam loco and old freight wagons
  • The amazing Noojee Heritage Trestle Bridge
  • Natural flora and fauna, Wombats, echidnas and wallabies, birds including Lyrebirds and Kookaburras
  • Mountain Grey Gums and Mountain Ash trees standing straight and tall with ferny valleys
  • The Latrobe River crystal waters

Trail Guide

This rail trail is part of the branch line from Warragul which opened to Noojee in 1919 to access the timber reserves in the hills around Noojee.

  • The rail trail starts at the Noojee Heritage Centre and crosses over the Mt Baw Baw Tourist Road.
  • The grade is level for about 600m then changes to a 1 in 45 incline.
  • The rail trail overlooks the small town of Noojee as it turns to the left.
  • About 1.3km was where the old Goodwoods timber siding was located.
  • At 3km arrive at the Noojee trestle bridge.
  • There are steep steps each side of the bridge which lead to the carpark below.
  • The trail narrows and ends another 300m along, where another trestle bridge once spanned the gully below.

Background Information

Traditional owners

We acknowledge the Kurnai people, the traditional custodians of the land and waterways on which the rail trail is constructed.

Development and future of the rail trail

The Noojee and District Historical Society’s plans to restore the original railway site in Noojee including the station and surrounding tracks, goods shed, turn table and new additions of an underground museum and cultural centre.

The official opening of the ‘Noojee Heritage Project Centre’ occurred in December 2011 comprising of the Society’s five-stage plan to reconstruct the site. The Noojee Heritage Project Centre will begin with stage one, which will see the construction of the goods shed and surrounding decking, a car park and appropriate signage in the township.

Baw Baw Shire is planning to extend the Noojee trestle Bridge rail trail to the rail trail at Neerim, which will include the Rokeby Crossover section.

Railway history

This trail is part of the branch line from Warragul that opened in 1919.

The branch line from Warragul first opened in 1890 to Rokeby, then 1892 to Neerim South. In 1915 the State Government wanted to access the tall timber at Noojee and decided to construct the railway which opened from Neerim South to Nayook in 1917. After building seven trestle bridges the line was then opened to Noojee in 1919. The bridge seen today is bridge No7, a height of 21m and 102m long and was the third largest bridge.

Seven years after opening in 1926 bushfire struck, burning five of the seven bridges including bridge No7. Then only five years later the 1939 Black Friday bush fires, bridge No7 was destroyed and had to be rebuilt again. The cost of keeping the line open was huge compared to the revenue from it. From 1939 to 1945 World War II reduced the demand for timber.

By the1950’s road transport was competing against the railway, and after a fire in 1954 on bridge No2, a 30 meter high bridge, the line was closed from Noojee to Nayook.

It was gradually closed in sections between 1954 and 1958. This area suffers from bushfires and required a lot of expensive repairs on many occasions. The Noojee Trestle was actually destroyed by fire in 1939, and rebuilt again in the same year. It is an impressive structure spanning 102 metres, is 21 metres high, and is supported by 19 sets of piles.

 

No services listed for this rail trail.

Advertise your Business Here

Click here for information on advertising your rail trail support business.