Looking from the highway off-ramp towards Napper Rd (2009)
Open day 2015
Photo Mark Linnett
Ernest Juction Tunnel to Southport
The former Southport railway line branched off the main line to Tweed Heads at a station called Ernest Junction just South of the tunell.
. The Southport Branch line headed generally east, , across Activity Crescent, then along what is now Smith St. Motorway beside the Griffith University. The line crossed Wardoo St, Ewan St and George St. beside what is now St. Hilda's School then across High St. to the old Southport station situated at current Southport Bus interchange.
Parts of this former line are accessible on foot. These sections are mainly west of the Parklands Drive/Smith St intersection.
The tunnel itself is curved, preventing one end from being seen from the other and has been described as 'spooky'.
Currumbin Rail Bridge
It was constructed in 1903 as part of the South Coast railway line.
The Currumbin Creek rail bridge is a 21 span, 173 metre long steel railway bridge. It is one of only three examples that still exist of infrastructure associated with the original railway line and the only structurally complete bridge still in existence on the line. It was closed to rail traffic in the mid 1960s and became primarily utilised to support a number of utility services (water and sewer) whilst simultaneously functioning as a narrow pedestrian bridge
The bridge was upgraded in 1994 to a dedicated pedestrian bridge by relocating the utility services and replacing the original timber railway sleepers with plywood decking, asphalt surfacing and pedestrian barriers.
In 2016 the Gold Coast City Council provided 3 million to repair and upgrade this historic rail bridge again.
Access to this bridge is via the Currumbin RSL car park ,165 Diringan Street or via Palm Beach Currumbin Spoorts club car park, 2 Guineas creek Rd Palm Beach.