- Rail Trail
- On Road
- Possible Rail Trail
- Other Trail
- former Railway
Why visit the Noojee Trestle Bridge Rail Trail?
- The Noojee Heritage Centre – J 550 Steam loco and old freight wagons
- The amazing Noojee Heritage Trestle Bridge
- Natural flora and fauna, Wombats, echidnas and wallabies, birds including Lyrebirds and Kookaburras
- Mountain Grey Gums and Mountain Ash trees standing straight and tall with ferny valleys
- The Latrobe River crystal waters
This rail trail is part of the branch line from Warragul which opened to Noojee in 1919 to access the timber reserves in the hills around Noojee.
- The rail trail starts at the Noojee Heritage Centre and crosses over the Mt Baw Baw Tourist Road.
- The grade is level for about 600m then changes to a 1 in 45 incline.
- The rail trail overlooks the small town of Noojee as it turns to the left.
- About 1.3km was where the old Goodwoods timber siding was located.
- At 3km arrive at the Noojee trestle bridge.
- There are steep steps each side of the bridge which lead to the carpark below.
- The trail narrows and ends another 300m along, where another trestle bridge once spanned the gully below.
We acknowledge the Kurnai people, the traditional custodians of the land and waterways on which the rail trail is constructed.
Development and future of the rail trail
The Noojee and District Historical Society’s plans to restore the original railway site in Noojee including the station and surrounding tracks, goods shed, turn table and new additions of an underground museum and cultural centre.
The official opening of the ‘Noojee Heritage Project Centre’ occurred in December 2011 comprising of the Society’s five-stage plan to reconstruct the site. The Noojee Heritage Project Centre will begin with stage one, which will see the construction of the goods shed and surrounding decking, a car park and appropriate signage in the township.
Baw Baw Shire is planning to extend the Noojee trestle Bridge rail trail to the rail trail at Neerim, which will include the Rokeby Crossover section.
This trail is part of the branch line from Warragul that opened in 1919.
The branch line from Warragul first opened in 1890 to Rokeby, then 1892 to Neerim South. In 1915 the State Government wanted to access the tall timber at Noojee and decided to construct the railway which opened from Neerim South to Nayook in 1917. After building seven trestle bridges the line was then opened to Noojee in 1919. The bridge seen today is bridge No7, a height of 21m and 102m long and was the third largest bridge.
Seven years after opening in 1926 bushfire struck, burning five of the seven bridges including bridge No7. Then only five years later the 1939 Black Friday bush fires, bridge No7 was destroyed and had to be rebuilt again. The cost of keeping the line open was huge compared to the revenue from it. From 1939 to 1945 World War II reduced the demand for timber.
By the1950’s road transport was competing against the railway, and after a fire in 1954 on bridge No2, a 30 meter high bridge, the line was closed from Noojee to Nayook.
It was gradually closed in sections between 1954 and 1958. This area suffers from bushfires and required a lot of expensive repairs on many occasions. The Noojee Trestle was actually destroyed by fire in 1939, and rebuilt again in the same year. It is an impressive structure spanning 102 metres, is 21 metres high, and is supported by 19 sets of piles.
No services listed for this rail trail.