- Rail Trail
- On Road
- Potential Rail Trail
- Other Trail
- former Railway
The St Marys station precinct has the well preserved station building and several historical bits of infrastructure including the original water tank that was used to fill the steam engines.
The station building, on the Esk Highway, is open most of the time as “Cranks and Tinkerers” museum and has a wide variety of historical items and literature on a very diverse range of subjects.
- Currently the St Marys station precinct is the only accessible section.
- Could possibly be developed into a 20km rail trail.
Last updated: 28 July 2022
The St Marys station is hard to miss from the Esk Highway (2014)
St Marys station (2014)
The water tank at St Marys station looking towards Fingal. (2014)
Every room in the St Marys station has information. (2014)
There doesn't seem to be a subject not covered in the St Marys station. (2014)
The railway line to St Marys opened in 1886 and survived for just over a hundred years before closing back to the Duncan coal loader, near Fingal, in 1988.
The St Marys Communit Development Association was considering undertaking a feasibility study to construct a rail trail between St Marys and Fingal but we are unaware if this was taken further.
In 2013 the Break O’Day council purchased the St Marys station from private hands, indicating that there is a least support for the station precinct.