- Rail Trail
- On Road
- Possible Rail Trail
- Other Trail
- former Railway
This concrete-surfaced trail runs from the Hobart Regatta Grounds on Queens Domain, past the Botanic Gardens, Runnymede Historic House and residential areas, linking the northern suburbs with the city centre. There are urban landscape views, colourful murals and the Tasmanian Transport Museum en route. The trail runs beside an active railway, connecting the Port of Hobart with Claremont in the north. In Claremont a trail branches along the spur line to Cadbury’s. There are very few road intersections and it’s popular with recreational users and commuters.
A high standard rail trail located beside the main railway line.
Links Hobart city with northern suburbs.
- Tasmanian Transport Museum
- Cadbury Factory at Claremont
- Many Heritage buildings
- Hobart historic waterfront and Constitution Dock
- Cascade Brewery
Hobart City and Claremont
Start of the cycleway at Hobart (2014)
The harbour view near the Hobart end (2014)
Looking towards the Tasman bridge over the Derwent River (2014)
We acknowledge the Mouheneener people, the traditional custodians of the land and waterways on which the rail trail is built.
Development and future of the trail
The City work in partnership with the Macquarie Point Development Corporation has decided to construct an extension of the Intercity Cycleway, from McVilly Drive, Hobart Regatta Grounds, through Macquarie Point to Evans Street and include any bicycle infrastructure work that may be required into traffic flows with all sections being built concurrently. Hobart City will contribute an estimated $400,000 to construct approximately 400m of the cycleway from McVilly Drive to the boundary of the Macquarie Point development site.
The current route from Evans Street straight up the highway to the Cycleway is around 600 metres, and the new route will be around 1 km long after going through Macquarie Point, so for many commuter and other cyclists there is going to be a trade off in time and ride-ability when deciding which way to go.
Rail line history
The railway between Hobart and Launceston was built by the Tasmanian Main Line Railway Company and was officially opened on 1 November 1876. Because the TMLR had limited finances, the line was built to the narrow (1067 mm) gauge. In 1974, Hobart’s passenger service came to the end of the line, but freight haulage continued. These days, TasRail operates a freight service from Brighton in the south to Western Junction near Launceston.
From its inception the line was known as the Main Line and carried this title until around 1978 when Australian National renamed it the South Line. Despite being in use for over 125 years, only limited deviations have been built and the line follows the original alignment. Track standards have been improved by the use of heavier rail welded into long lengths, steel sleepers and better ballast.
The line remains in service, and sees multiple freight trains most days, these generally operating Burnie to Boyer and Burnie / Launceston to Hobart and return.