- Rail Trail
- On Road
- Possible Rail Trail
- Other Trail
- former Railway
The Manjimup to Deanmill Heritage Trail is a short rail trail near Manjimup in WA’s Southwest. The trail gives visitors an insight into the district’s forestry, farming and railway history. Manjimup is known for its undulating land, tall timbers, abundant fresh water and rich soils.
- Tall forest, scenic open farmland
- The small timber town of Deanmill, which includes a number of historic mill cottages, the Deanmill Workers Club and the Deanmill Football Oval
- Other attractions in around Manjimup including Fontys Pool, Diamond Tree Lookout and One Tree Bridge
The Manjimup to Deanmill Heritage Trail is on the alignment of a historic timber tramway that connected the Deanmill sawmill to the main line at Manjimup. Starting in Manjimup near the intersection of Rose St and Lock St, the trail heads west parallel to Ipsen St.
The trail passes through enclosed natural bushland before transitioning to open areas with views over farmland. The first kilometre is asphalt and the remainder is compacted gravel.
At its eastern end, this trail provides a connection to the Manjimup Linear Path. Forming a ‘T’, the two rail trails intersect in the centre of Manjimup just south of Ipsen Street. The Manjimup to Deanmill Heritage Trail also forms part of the 1000 km Munda Biddi MTB trail linking Perth to Albany.
Rail Trails Australia acknowledge the Murrum people of the Noongar Nation, the traditional custodians of the land and waterways on which this rail trail is built.
Development and future of the rail trail
The Manjimup to Deanmill Heritage Trail was established in the 1990s and upgraded in 2017.
Rail line history
The Deanmill tramway was built in 1912 to connect the sawmill (which supplied timber sleepers for the Transcontinental Railway) to the main line in Manjimup. The Deanmill settlement was named after the mill’s first manager, Alfred Dean. Following the closure of the tramway in 1966, the reserve has regrown and forms an important green corridor on the western side of Manjimup.