Restored locomotive is new attraction to Kilkivan Kingaroy Rail Trail
Posted on 05/10/23
The Murgon Men’s Shed has recently unveiled a restored locomotive at its display area beside the old Murgon Railway station. The Murgon Men’s Shed occupies the restored Murgon rail station building which now witnesses a steady stream of rail trail users on what is now the 88km Kilkivan Kingaroy Rail Trail in Southern Queensland. Murgon lies roughly half way between the Kingaroy and Kilkivan trail heads. The 37 tonne C17 steam locomotive, Number 763, and 17 tonne tender were transported from an Australian Historical Society storage area at Rosewood (west of Brisbane) in early August. They were in very poor condition upon their arrival, so the Men’s Shed members set about preserving them for static display.
The locomotive was built in 1927 by Walkers in Maryborough (Queensland) and served in the Toowoomba and Ipswich areas. Similar C17 locomotives served on the South Burnett lines, passing through Murgon. Number 763 was retired from service in 1969 and placed in a park in Paddington, Brisbane, where it was a target for vandals, before being shifted to Rosewood for safe keeping.
The locomotive has been placed under a specially designed shelter in front of a wooden 1918 passenger car and steel goods wagon which the group are working on restoring. Whenever the Murgon Men’s Shed is open, the gates to the display area will also be open so that trail users on the rail trail are welcome to come in take a look at this beautifully restored locomotive that represents the railway heritage of the region.