- Rail Trail
- On Road
- Possible Rail Trail
- Other Trail
- former Railway
Trail only accessible when the power station is staffed. Usually Mondays to Thursdays (approx 9am to 4pm). Visitors should report to the power station before starting the walk.
This trail runs along the maintenance tramway and walkway beside the timber pipeline from Lake Margaret to the nearby power station. After a very steep climb to the start of the tramway, it follows the timber pipeline to Lake Margaret, providing panoramic views along the way.
The historic hydro-electric power station still uses alternators dating from when it was commissioned in 1914. The 1938 King Billy Pine timber pipeline was in use until 30 June 2006 when its deteriorating condition resulted in the station’s closure. A new pipeline has now been constructed, once again out of local timber, and the power station is once again operating,
Hydro Tasmania do not publicise the walk, but local staff may allow access on request, subject to works that may be occurring. The access road to the power station is gated and only accessible when the power station is staffed. For further information phone Hydro Tasmania’s Tullah office on 03 6420 4002.
Short tours of the power station are generally available on request and are well worthwhile.
Hydro Tasmania have been working with Tourism Tasmania and West Coast Council to come up with some tourism strategies that can safely mix tourist access around operational hydro assets.
More information on the future of the power station and tramway can be found at Hydro Tasmania’s Lake Margaret Redevelopment webpage.
For more information on this trail see the book Rail Trails of Tasmania.
Walking the tramway with the timber pipeline below.
Former workers village near the power station.
Looking down from the tramway to the power station.
Looking back from the dam wall.
Inside the power station.
Historic displays at the power station.