- Rail Trail
- On Road
- Possible Rail Trail
- Other Trail
- former Railway
- A high quality rail trail featuring a variety of landscapes from suburbia to bushland
- Connects Fassifern railway station on the Central Coast and Newcastle line with the suburb of Toronto and the Lake Macquarie shore
- Gently graded: a comfortable flat ride or walk with bay views
- Old railway tracks still in place next to trail
- Accessed from Fassifern railway station
- Rail museum at Toronto railway station
- Newcastle, with Fort Scratchley and beaches
- Lake Macquarie, with lakeside cycle paths
This is a short railside trail next to a disused government railway line. The line branched off from Fassifern Railway Station and has not been used since 1990.
- Fassifern Railway Station
- Blackalls Reserve
- Toronto Railway station site
- Regular local bus service between Toronto and Fassifern Railway stations for those who wish to walk the trail one way.
Fassifern to Toronto (4km)
- comfortable, flat ride or walk from Fassifern Railway Station to Edward Gain Park in Toronto on the western foreshore of Lake Macquarie
- well signposted with several road crossings
- managed by Lake Macquarie Council
- Lake Macquarie and District Historical Society uses the renovated Toronto Railway Station building as its base
Toronto Railway Station and museum (2013)
Water view from Toronto Railway Station (2013)
Railway signal at Toronto (2013)
On the trail from Toronto (2013)
Typical view of trail. Note old rail lines on left in the long vegetation. (2013)
The old rail bridge still intact with rails (2013)
Some gardens on the trail (2013)
Old platform at Fassifern (2013)
Fassifern Railway Station (2013)
We acknowledge the Awabakal people, the traditional custodians of the land and waterways on which the rail trail is built.
The railway was built by a private company in 1891 but was taken over by the NSW Government in 1910. Operations ceased in 1990; the rails are still in place, though the railway was officially closed in 1995.
The local progress association raised the greenway concept in 1990, which led to the formation of a steering committee of Lake Macquarie City Council. The corridor was leased by the Council from the State Government, and the steering committee set about raising funds for construction and landscaping of the trail. Most funding came from the Federal and State Governments, with other funding coming from Council and the community. The trail was officially opened in June 1996, after six years of local effort to retain the disused rail corridor as a community asset.