- Rail Trail
- On Road
- Possible Rail Trail
- Other Trail
- former Railway
- The Goods Line offers a refuge from the busy Sydney CBD. It is a linear park and green space with public seating, performance areas, lawns, table tennis tables and items of railway heritage, and has won many design awards
- The Goods Line passes the University of Technology (UTS) campus, ABC studios, Ian Thorpe Aquatic Centre, Darling Harbour and the Powerhouse Museum
Stage 1 of the Goods Line can be reached from Central Railway Station’s Devonshire St pedestrian tunnel in the south, and at various points along its route to the Powerhouse Museum in the north. There are displays and relics along the route that showcase railway heritage, including Ultimo Rd’s heritage railway bridge.
The Line can be ridden, but for such a short length with so many features, a slow stroll is better.
Looking north - the Goods Line, Sydney
The Goods Line, Sydney
The Goods Line, Sydney
Converted rail bridge on the Goods Line
We acknowledge the Gadigal people, the traditional custodians of the land and waterways on which the rail trail is built.
Development and future of the rail trail
The port facilities at Darling Harbour closed and the precinct was extensively redeveloped in the 1980s. The disused industrial line between Hay St Ultimo and Lilyfield was incorporated into a light rail line that extended through Haymarket to connect to Central Station.
The light rail has been extended to Dulwich Hill and is known as the Sydney Light Rail L1 Dulwich Hill Line. A trip on the light rail and an exploration around some of its stops , especially around John St Square in Pyrmont, where there are some deep stone cuttings, is worthwhile for those interested in railway heritage.
Future developments may include an extension to the disused Regent St railway station, using the rail tunnel beneath Railway Square.
Rail line history
The Goods Line is a short section of a former industrial railway that connected Sydney Yard and the Sydney-Parramatta railway line to the port of Darling Harbour. The line opened in 1855 and was extended to Dulwich Hill in 1922, providing a way for freight trains to reach Darling Harbour without interfering with passenger trains. Cargoes included wheat and wool.