This trail is part of a former branch line from Nyora to Wonthaggi. The line was opened in 1910 to service the coal mines, passengers and farm produce in the Wonthaggi area. The line was closed in 1978 due to the decline in passengers and mining.
The first commercial coal mine was opened in Kilcunda in 1865.
The Bass Coast Shire is the committee of management for this rail trail, and is committed to eventually extending the trail the full distance of 48km to Nyora.
Please report any issues (or compliments) to the rail trail managers: